Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this has been discussed at length. The JK lean! My 2014 JKU leans to the passenger side about 1/2 inch or slightly more with half tank of gas. Only in the rear. Front is ok. This drives me crazy! I know it does not really matter or hurt anything. I did not even notice until someone followed me on a road trip and said, "hey did you know your jeep leans to the passenger side", some friend, ever since then I go out and measure it about once a week. Now my wife is 105 soaking wet, so that is not it. I double her weight. I know the gas tank is sort of on that side. I do have a JCR bumper with tire carrier. I know all of this on the rear passenger side corner adds up. My question is how to fix it. I have read all the internet junk, coil spring spacer on passenger side rear, coil spring spacer on passenger side front to fix lean in rear???, longer sway bar link on passenger side rear to fix lean, load extra weight on drivers side and call it a day, and gangsta lean just roll with it. Now I am thinking of adding a coil spring spacer to passenger side rear. Is this the best way???? 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch spacer???? I really need to see a shrink!

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Okay, I know this has been discussed at length. The JK lean! My 2014 JKU leans to the passenger side about 1/2 inch or slightly more with half tank of gas. Only in the rear. Front is ok. This drives me crazy! I know it does not really matter or hurt anything. I did not even notice until someone followed me on a road trip and said, "hey did you know your jeep leans to the passenger side", some friend, ever since then I go out and measure it about once a week. Now my wife is 105 soaking wet, so that is not it. I double her weight. I know the gas tank is sort of on that side. I do have a JCR bumper with tire carrier. I know all of this on the rear passenger side corner adds up. My question is how to fix it. I have read all the internet junk, coil spring spacer on passenger side rear, coil spring spacer on passenger side front to fix lean in rear???, longer sway bar link on passenger side rear to fix lean, load extra weight on drivers side and call it a day, and gangsta lean just roll with it. Now I am thinking of adding a coil spring spacer to passenger side rear. Is this the best way???? 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch spacer???? I really need to see a shrink!
Good excuse to put a lift on it, if you haven't already. Better springs should take care of it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JK lean

Already have a Rock Krawler 2.5 lift. Rides and drives great.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Already have a Rock Krawler 2.5 lift. Rides and drives great.
Check both rear coils and see if the're bowing, i had the problem with my initial RE lift and later what it became OME lift, i should have rewelded the rear coil spring mounts after the lift to correct this, but back then i didn't know better, so I used the RK wedges to try to correct the bowing, my lean was was more accentuated on the rear passenger side, i didn't have a lean before the lift, at least not one i could notice.

Also check your rear track bar bracket, I have the Teraflex one, and i was using it at the top hole thinking this was the needed setup for 2.5" lift, i had it that way with the RE lift, then the same with the lower OME springs, lowering to the first hole not only centered the axel almost perfect with my current lift, but it also lowered the rear driver side of the Jeep about 1/4" inch, don't know why, but that was more than welcome, i had a lean too for months, and drove me crazy.

The 2 changes above cured almost all of it.

I also mounted a Hi lift jack with the Rudge Ridge rear rollbar mount, with the heavy portion of the Jack towards the drive side, and my tool bags and the like all hang in the driver side rear, i figure about 20-30lbs total on that side.

Cool thing is that i can now say the facking thing is level :drinks:

Good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coils bowing

Check both rear coils and see if the're bowing, i had the problem with my initial RE lift and later what it became OME lift, i should have rewelded the rear coil spring mounts after the lift to correct this, but back then i didn't know better, so I used the RK wedges to try to correct the bowing, my lean was was more accentuated on the rear passenger side, i didn't have a lean before the lift, at least not one i could notice.

Also check your rear track bar bracket, I have the Teraflex one, and i was using it at the top hole thinking this was the needed setup for 2.5" lift, i had it that way with the RE lift, then the same with the lower OME springs, lowering to the first hole not only centered the axel almost perfect with my current lift, but it also lowered the rear driver side of the Jeep about 1/4" inch, don't know why, but that was more than welcome, i had a lean too for months, and drove me crazy.

The 2 changes above cured almost all of it.

I also mounted a Hi lift jack with the Rudge Ridge rear rollbar mount, with the heavy portion of the Jack towards the drive side, and my tool bags and the like all hang in the driver side rear, i figure about 20-30lbs total on that side.

Cool thing is that i can now say the facking thing is level :drinks:

Good luck.
Well the rear coils were bowing. I used the Rock Krawler wedges just to see if would help before I changed reweld the coil spring mounts. And it did make a difference. I am now 1/4 inch low on the passenger side. It also seems to ride better. Track bar was good. I am almost there. Now time to break out the welder.
Thansks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I went through this ordeal as well on my 16 JKUR with RK 3.5" lift - hated the lean to my right rear passenger - always measured about 1/2" lower.

Added RK rear correction wedges ---- made NO difference.

Replaced rear trac bar with a Superlift Trac bar to recenter rear axle thinking maybe the stock trac bar was causing binding ------ made NO difference.

Married a 350 lb woman to sit in the passenger seat when taking the jeep out ---- made NO difference.

Bought a Teraflex 1/2" spacer for the right rear ---- Fixed the Lean !!!
and actually I should have bought the 3/4" as this would have been the best solution....

Have no idea why the lean is there - makes no sense to me - I read hours of internet postings complaining of the same thing, tried multiple ideas, loosed Control arms ,shook jeep, loosed rear sway bar , retorqued - nothing solved the issue except adding the spacers - -go figure - be curious to see if the NEXT gen has same.

BTW - the marriage to the 350 lb woman didn't work out - current wifes only 122 lbs = better gas mileage :)

Good luck to ya !

Reactions: Unstuck 16

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Odd thing. I just filled up and it measures 1/4 inch lower, just as it did empty. Gas is not the problem. I think I will add a 1/2 inch spacer on the rear passenger and call it a day. Maybe then I will be odd and lean to the driver side!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
haha you guys made me double check, and sure enough, 1/2 difference wtf ???
Damn it, i thought i had it fixed last week
Oh well, i'm sure it's not noticeable when i put my 192lbs in the front seat :)
Edited:
1/4" difference measured from ground to rail slider edge. pheeww... full tank to full empty difference is only 1/8" in my case. i won't keep bothering with 1/4 " difference

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha you guys made me double check, and sure enough, 1/2 difference wtf ???
Damn it, i thought i had it fixed last week
Oh well, i'm sure it's not noticeable when i put my 192lbs in the front seat :)
Edited:
1/4" difference measured from ground to rail slider edge. pheeww... full tank to full empty difference is only 1/8" in my case. i won't keep bothering with 1/4 " difference
I am glad i am not alone! I feel better now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Difference Springs Loads in Rear OK?

Has anyone done the spring upgrade in back of a JKU and used different load rates to even out the gas side lean? I am looking at upgrading my '13 Sahara JKU from 17/59 to 19/60 but given the 59 and 60 are so close I was thinking about just upgrading the Gas Side Spring to help correct the Gas Lean to the passenger side. I alomst never run the jeep less than half for the lean is always there .
Anyone recommend against having different spring rates in back? I open to all advise.

Thanks...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used Tereflex coil spacers.
1” on drivers side rear
2” on passenger side rear

After a 2.5” RK lift

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used Tereflex coil spacers.
1” on drivers side rear
2” on passenger side rear

After a 2.5” RK lift
I know this is a 2+ year old post but I'm wondering if you're using the RK coil spring wedges in addition to the teraflex spacers? (are they compatible?). I think this is the route I want to go to get the rear end up a bit and leveled. I run heavily loaded and also lean to the right....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you have adjustable sway bar links, you can preload them to get rid of the lean.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
I know this is a 2+ year old post but I'm wondering if you're using the RK coil spring wedges in addition to the teraflex spacers? (are they compatible?). I think this is the route I want to go to get the rear end up a bit and leveled. I run heavily loaded and also lean to the right....
They are compatible.
The coil wedges go at the bottom of the rear springs, between the bottom of the springs and the axle, and the spacers go at the top of the rear springs. You can use both at the same time if you want.

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
Cutting and rotating the bottom coil perch is the best way to go. Does require some quick easy welding but it much better than using wedges.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They are compatible.
The coil wedges go at the bottom of the rear springs, between the bottom of the springs and the axle, and the spacers go at the top of the rear springs. You can use both at the same time if you want.
Awesome - didn’t realize they went at the top. Sounds like a good interim solution until I get a different set of springs. I can lift the rear 1” to level it out and an extra 1/2” on the pax side to correct the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Cutting and rotating the bottom coil perch is the best way to go. Does require some quick easy welding but it much better than using wedges.
I already have the wedges in place and they seem to be working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts