Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

have a 2012 JK, 3.6 manual. want to install a 2.5 inch lift. I have been reading that it requires exhaust ext, It is my daily driver and will see mild to moderate off road use. Any one know if this is really needed and any recommendations on a lift? Hate to say it but money is a bit tight, but really dont want to just use spacers.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You will be better off using spacers or a body lift for a while- easily reversed and basically maintains stock ride. Otherwise, I'd say use Old Man Emu or AEV. I have ridden in a lot of Jeeps with a lot of lifts and most are so harsh that I would never put them on my Jeep. The Old Man Emu (lighter of the two they offer) drove pretty well but it also had C rated 35" tires...good combo. I hear AEV is nice too, though it does call for some aftermarket weight. Most of the springs are much thicker/stiffer than stock and provide a harsh ride that absolutely cannot be fixed by any shock, however softly valved. Also, I am not running tires at 24 psi to compensate for harsh springs and shocks.

That's my take- others can tell you how their lift kits ride. I lean towards the above two , and mainly because the newer JKs ride very well. I don't want to make it harsh like a truck meant to haul things. All this said, I have not experienced every lift out there.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
If you buy a 2.5" lift w/new shocks, all you'll need is a TeraFlex exhaust spacer. $50 and simple install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 2012 jku manual.I am like you ,on a budget.i went with a rough country 2.5" lift kit-it came with springs /shocks..$300 ,33 " tires/18 "rims-i didnt have to modify any exhaust lines or brake lines. just disconnected the the brackets for brakel lines to allow them to flex .you will have to change exhaust and other components at a 3 " lift or higher .everyone will give you their opinon about at a certain lift kit -good or bad .. just do your research " hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed that exact same lift on friends rig. Did not need exhaust spacers. I am installing that same lift on my rig this weekend. Going with 285/75/16 and do not intend to use exhaust spacers. Be sure you get a Pro Cal to recalibrate your computer so you can run larger tires at low pressure otherwise you will have to listen to the bell and see the dash llight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed an AEV 2.5 lift on my 2012 jk last weekend. The install went pretty smoothly with not very many complications. I also bought the exhaust spacers as well thinking that I would need them to keep the exhaust off the drive shafts. However, I have about 2" between the two and with the angle that the drive shaft is at, the axle would have to drop about 5-6" for it to touch the exhaust. Just some food for thought. I installed them anyway since I already bought them.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Confused

Just get a teraflex leveling kit. 2 inch lift in thefront 1 in the back. 130$ easy install
Okay I'm gonna have to ask, my jku seems to sit pretty lvl, so what is up with a lvling kit vs. a 2.5" lift kit?? Mines a 2010 though.

Edit:

Also if I get the 2.5" lift, does it lvl the jeep out or does the lvling kit need to be installed as well?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay so the 2.5" won't "level" the jeep... simply keeps the same "stance", just raises it 2.5". Maybe I should ask is it better to keep the factory "stance" and just raise the jeep or do most trail folks level their rigs?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Zany said:
Okay so the 2.5" won't "level" the jeep... simply keeps the same "stance", just raises it 2.5". Maybe I should ask is it better to keep the factory "stance" and just raise the jeep or do most trail folks level their rigs?
I'm not sure if you lose the factory rake with the 2.5 lift or not. The main reason I only leveled it was because I only wa na fit 33s it was cheaper and its my DD

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know some people are not going to agree with me but I got a 2.5" Rough Country Series II for $179 and couldn't be happier. No need for an exhaust lift. Install took a few hours but gave the Jeep a really aggressive look with the tires and wheels and driving performance is about the same. Doesn't bounce around anymore or any less than it did before on or off road.

Before

After

·
Registered
290 Posts
flatsfisher83 said:
I know some people are not going to agree with me but I got a 2.5" Rough Country Series II for $179 and couldn't be happier. No need for an exhaust lift. Install took a few hours but gave the Jeep a really aggressive look with the tires and wheels and driving performance is about the same. Doesn't bounce around anymore or any less than it did before on or off road.

Before

After
Looks good. Nice rig

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Bait! Was going to say thanks "Jerk" but that would have just come out all wrong being read on a screen.:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts