Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for the community to post common misconceptions or "myths" about the Wrangler JK.
Keep in mind it's also important during this process that if you have an disagreement to a myth/reality you speak up. We want this to be accurate.

So what myth/reality do you have?

For example:

• Myth: All Rubicons have a lift from the factory
  • Reality: Not all Rubicons come lifted, only a few special editions like the 2013 10a and the later model Recon have different springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Myth: JKs can't be driven without the stub shaft and nut in the front hub assembly.

Reality: The captured bearing on the JK unit bearing doesn’t require the axleshaft and flange nut to be secured to the hub for you to drive down the road.

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myth: JKs can't be driven without the stub shaft and nut in the front hub assembly.

Reality: The captured bearing on the JK unit bearing doesn’t require the axleshaft and flange nut to be secured to the hub for you to drive down the road.
Good one, and the reason I carry a racquetball in my tool kit to shove into the axle when the shaft is removed.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
Myth: Jeeps are not safe because they are really easy to flip over.

Reality: This is a misconception left over from some of the old Jeep models (CJ5 etc).
I remember watching some test they did many years ago about this. They had outriggers on the Jeep and were showing how easily one could roll over in a panic maneuver. That stuck with me for a long time until we bought a JK and learned that they aren't built like that anymore.

·
Registered
413 Posts
myth: Dont get a jeep the heaters suck

Reality: even the CJ5 I had in the 90s with gaps where the doors met the top and rust holes in the floor would cook you out of there, plowed with both TJ's I had and was always plenty warm, and my jk heat works great also.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Agreed. I think I could melt most of my interior if I left my heater running for an extended period at the maximum setting!

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
219 Posts
Myth: Jeep engineers do their research and handpicked the OEM headlights for a reason.

Reality: The headlights along with many otherparts are a throwaway placeholder destined to be upgraded and the factory headlights are dimmer than a dollar store flashlight.
I disagree a bit, but I'll let this fly since it's closer to truth than an opposite statement would be 😃

·
Registered
237 Posts
Myth: Jeep engineers do their research and handpicked the OEM headlights for a reason.

Reality: The headlights along with many otherparts are a throwaway placeholder destined to be upgraded and the factory headlights are dimmer than a dollar store flashlight.
This kind of leads me to my statement

Myth : Quoted by many, "I am going to keep my Jeep stock, no need to add anything."

Reality : No you're not.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This kind of leads me to my statement

Myth : Quoted by many, "I am going to keep my Jeep stock, no need to add anything."

Reality : No you're not.
This in turn leads me to my statement.

Myth: " I am done building my Jeep."

Reality: No, you're not.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

The Jeep engineers were responsible for the Rubicon, against the wishes of the bean counters, and snuck it into real world testing that floored the testing public.
I think I'll give them a pass on their flickering candles ;)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Myth: Wranglers are horribly unreliable and constantly need repairs.
Reality: if you take care of them, Wranglers hold up as well as anything out there. My JK was rock solid for 7 years and 115K miles. My 2020 JL just turned 15K and not a single initial quality issue. Take care off it and it’ll take care of you.

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
250 Posts

Placeholders is the perfect word to describe a lot of parts on Jeeps, I still love the thing though!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Myth: JKs and JKUs are not "real jeeps" because they are too big and too comfortable.

Reality: JKs and JKUs are, indeed, Jeeps. Reality #2: No JK and JKU owner cares what your opinion is on this subject!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Myth: JKs and JKUs are not "real jeeps" because they are too big and too comfortable.

Reality: JKs and JKUs are, indeed, Jeeps. Reality #2: No JK and JKU owner cares what your opinion is on this subject!
As a former CJ, JK and now JL owner, they’re all Jeeps.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Additional reality: When everyones jeep breaks on the trail, they want to ride in or be towed by the JKU.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts