Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Myth: JKs and JKUs are not "real jeeps" because they are too big and too comfortable.
I remember back in 1988 when we bought our YJ all we heard from the CJ crowd was "That's not a real Jeep!"

Then the TJ showed up and all we heard was "That's not a real Jeep!" from the CJ crowd AND the YJ crowd.

It seems each evolution of the design has been met with the same criticism, buy they all seem to sell pretty well, and handle the trails well!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nwver realized. Thought they were all 4.10, not 4.11
Yes, technically they are (the pinion/ring in the Dana 44 results in 4.10), but '4.11' is such a commonly used designation when discussing gearing that the two terms are often used interchangeably. I was only referring to the fact that the standard auto Rubicon gears are 3.73, not 4.1x

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yes, technically they are (the pinion/ring in the Dana 44 results in 4.10), but '4.11' is such a commonly used designation when discussing gearing that the two terms are often used interchangeably. I was only referring to the fact that the standard auto Rubicon gears are 4.1x, not 3.73.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Myth: Wranglers are over engineered from the factory and are invincible to off-road abuse.

Reality: Wranglers need beefed up aftermarket parts and an easy going driver to endure the off-road conditions expected of them.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
194 Posts
Myth: Wranglers are over engineered from the factory and are invincible to off-road abuse.

Reality: Wranglers need beefed up aftermarket parts and an easy going driver to endure the odd-road conditions expected of them.
Painfully true, and I myself fell to that misconception coming from Japanese imports. I thought these things were tanks and rugged. Mind you I didnt even know there were trim levels and let a dealership swindle me into overpaying for a sport since it was the only thing that remotely met my criteria within a 5 hour drive in any direction.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Ok, here's a good one....

Myth: 10A/Hard Rock editions came with the 305 hp Challenger engine.
Reality: no, they are the same 285 hp that all Wranglers get.

I post this because I have been stopped numerous times at grocery stores, gas stations, etc. wanting to chat about my '16 JKU-HR and invariably, the conversation goes to "you have a Hard Rock; those came with the more powerful Challenger engine." I know better, but it's surprising how many people still claim this. And, no matter how much I try to correct anyone, it is to no avail. I even had one guy accuse me of not being a "real jeeper" because I didn't know..... :rolleyes::sneaky:

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
194 Posts

I post this because I have been stopped numerous times at grocery stores, gas stations, etc. wanting to chat about my '16 JKU-HR and invariably, the conversation goes to "you have a Hard Rock; those came with the more powerful Challenger engine." I know better, but it's surprising how many people still claim this. And, no matter how much I try to correct anyone, it is to no avail. I even had one guy accuse me of not being a "real jeeper" because I didn't know..... :rolleyes::sneaky:
I never heard of this! Funny though people acted like you didnt know what you were talking about.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Myth : All JK/JKU Rubicon Recons with auto trans have 4.10 gears because it’s on the hood decal.

Reality: it’s an option like a regular Rubicon and most have 3.73 gears from factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Myth: They’re always in the service department for issues.

Reality: My ‘15 JK Willys with 48K miles has never been in for an issue aside from feed/water and the airbag recall. That being said I do think that I have a whining torque converter (goes silent when in park) but if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
485 Posts
Myth: Wrangler - Off the showroom floor and on the trails.
Reality - Off the showroom floor, into the garage for two weeks for aftermarket mods, then hit the trails...

·
Registered
2015 JKU Willys Wrangler
250 Posts
Myth: Horsepower is relevant for Jeep things

Reality: Gearing and torque.
I believe it was legendary race car driver Max Balchowsky who stated that "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

Not that dissimilar for Jeeps.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I got that a lot with my old '04 WJ. Mine was a Special Edition (glorified Laredo with V8 and leather). I put a 4" lift on it with BFG M/Ts (factory Rubi tires) on the WJ's factory wheels. People would ask me if that came from the factory like that and I'd just point at the badge on the side and say, "yep...it's a 'Special Edition'". 🤪

A great Jeep. I had it for 8 years before getting the JKUR. I really miss that V8 in it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts