Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of where the Neutral Safety Switch is on the JK? I've googled several times and every image I get is for a different model.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I usually see these types of switches on autos (brake pedal) and manuals (the brake pedal or clutch has to be depressed to start the motor). To my surprise, may 2014 JKU Polar automatic tranny does not seem to have a switch (brake) switch. I can be standing outside the Jeep and reach in and start it, old school style, very cool!

I know one of my previous manual tranny cars had the neutral safety switch mounted up under the dash/firewall, so the clutch pedal-arm would engage the switch. I expect its in the same spot on Jeeps, but mines an auto, so can't confirm.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you are talking about the clutch starter interlock, it is called the clutch pedal position switch and it plugs into the clutch master cylinder.

#2 is the switch, while #1 is the wiring harness

For an automatic, it's located on the transmission and here is straight from the horses (factory shop manual) mouth...

In selector lever positions "P" and "N" the park/neutral contact (4) is actuated by a cam track which is located on the detent plate. The permanent magnet (3) is moved away from the dry-reed contact (4). The dry-reed contact (4) is opened. The TCM receives an electric signal. The circuit to the starter in the selector lever positions "P" and "N" is closed.

There is a bit more to it as the transmission heat sensor is involved in the circuit as well.

Again from the horses mouth...

The temperature of the transmission oil has a considerable effect on the shifting time and therefore the shift quality. By measuring the oil temperature, shift operations can be optimized in all temperature ranges. The transmission oil temperature sensor (1) is switched in series with the park/neutral contact. The temperature signal is transferred to the TCM only when the dry-reed contact of the park/neutral contact is closed in REVERSE or a forward gear position.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Im looking for the switch aswell. My jk wont start on P sometimes and putting it in N will make it turn on. Sometimes while in P pushing it intil i hear it click will work

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Does anyone have a diagram of where the Neutral Safety Switch is on the JK? I've googled several times and every image I get is for a different model.
what specifically are you looking for Todd?

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The location of the switch, where is it? I need to replace it. Every diagram or picture I can find is for a different model.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Im looking for it as well but from putting bits n pieces of information the switch it self is inside the trans and the connector is on the left hand side of the trans (looking forward from drivers seat) right under driver seat

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's inside the transmission housing?

I got my code read tonight and it's a low voltage code. I don't recall the exact code. I think I it was 0052. I have some more research to do.

It's done it occasionally. The last few days has been more often. This morning it finally threw a code.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today the light went off. Later it threw a code. I had it checked out and it was P0562. Battery tested weak and was under warranty. Started just fine after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts