Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a 2000 ish wrangler white sahara with low milage for about a year now. But the ones that come up I have been to slow to get.

So I'm thinking of just getting a 2010 or 11 sport.

Was planning on spending up to 14k on the 2000 sahara and will go up to 24k for a newer model JK.

What would you rather have? I really like the classic lines and 4.0 of the TJ, but I' not a mechanic by any means.

There are a few available across the U.S. now with less than 50k miles on them and very clean.

I currently have a f150 fx4 and will be using this as my beach car on the weekends..

Thanks

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I had a TJ and really liked it, no complaints. However, I prefer my 10 JK. You can't lose either way. The 2010 model year is the most reliable JK. I don't have a problem with the 3.8. The condition is important and the price will determine your decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know... a 2010 with low milage could work. I hate all the plastic bumpers they put on the things now :(

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Good to know... a 2010 with low milage could work. I hate all the plastic bumpers they put on the things now :(
They sort of all have "plastic" bumpers. Off road bumpers are an easy upgrade. With the 3.8 I would recommend have a minimum axle ratio of 3.73, especially if you decide on an automatic trans. You might have less of a performance complaint with a manual trans. and 3.73's or 4.10's.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I had a really awesome 04 Rubi. It did absolutely everything I wanted it to do except bring friends out on trips with me. Im a big guy and the cabin of the TJ was a bit narrow for me. Not the seats but the doors. I loved the way it would slip thru the rocks while the JK's were wider and longer. But I really wanted the room badly. So I bit the bullet and bought a JKUR. I find the extra room and 5 inch wider cabin so much nicer. No it does not slip thru the rock canyons like the TJ did but it is ok. I am learning to compensate for the larger size. BUT I have a much nicer interior, and lots of room. I have brought more people out on the trails with me and it is awesome to share the experience with friends. If your a normal sized guy I really don't see a lot of difference in a short wheel base JK vs TJ. Both have the same power and transmissions. One is a bit wider and might come with a D44 rear if you buy right. The after market for JK's is crazy. Lots of support. My buddies 2010 JKUR stays right with my 13 in the rocks. I really think it is up to what your looking for it to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretty cool. I'm def not looking to climb any rocks here in south florida. Just cruise with top down and good music to the beach...

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
So I'm thinking of just getting a 2010 or 11 sport.

Was planning on spending up to 14k on the 2000 sahara and will go up to 24k for a newer model JK.
Why not one of the newer '12+ ones with the 285 hp engine? If your budget goes up to 24k you might consider one with the more powerful engine and other improvements.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a jk and love it so far but I hear that the 4.0 is a great engine and the tj has a real nice look. I thing you cant go wrong with a jk or a tj. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My original plan was to find a clean, unmodified TJ for a decent price. As you may have already found, its not that easy. The nice ones were really nice and the price was ridiculous.

I bought a new 2013 6 speed with soft top, A/C and 3.73's for less than your 24k limit. I still love the TJ, but getting a brand new one for a few grand more than a 10 year old clean one wasn't a difficult decision, and I haven't regretted it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up TOK. I think you are right. Plus I'm not a mechanic and don't have the time to do repairs and such.. I'll look for a 2013 sport.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
For 24K you can get a really really nice TJ. I sold my old 2004 TJ for that price, and it had Currie axles, an Atlass II transfer case, long arm suspension, 37" tires, bumpers, rocker gaurds, winch, custom interior, you name it. It was the nicest Jeep I've ever owned. Wish I STILL owned it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a TJ and really liked it, no complaints. However, I prefer my 10 JK. You can't lose either way. The 2010 model year is the most reliable JK. I don't have a problem with the 3.8. The condition is important and the price will determine your decision. Good luck.
Yeah you really cant loose either way, i personally just like the way the tj looks, and i see jk everywhere!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey - something I'm qualified to speak on!

I have....BOTH! Well, a 2000 TJ (Sahara) *and* a 2014 JKU. There are pros and cons for both.

TJ:

You can buy literally anything for it. You think of it, they make it. If you're lazy and dumb (like me) and don't have fab capabilities, SOMEONE has built it already.

The 4.0 I6 is pretty much bulletproof. Mine has 195k miles on it and still running strong (except for low oil pressure at idle.)

That thing will go anywhere except past a gas station. I don't mind. I didn't buy it as a commuter.

The short wheel base is pretty rough riding.

Not quite as many creature comforts. It's a utilitarian vehicle.

JKU -

It has 4 doors!!!! My 15 year old daughter doesn't have to Daisy Duke her way into the back seat!

Creature comforts galore. Voice activated this, power that...and that's with the sport!

Did I mention 4 doors?

This thing rides like a car, even with a Rough Country suspension on it. It's so smooth!

Not quite as many add-ons available, especially for the '14. And the ones that are, are more expensive.

Easier to mod from the dealer lot. I threw on a 2.5" lift and can run 37's. Granted, I'm not, but I could.

Result - if I'm going trail riding or going to town or on a road trip, the JKU is my clear choice. If I'm going hardcore trail riding, mudding, tight and narrow, might get it scratched, I'm going TJ.

·
Retired Moderator
100,721 Posts
Since I have also owned both, I will give you a opinion, based on my experience.
Not everybody will agree with my opinion, but that is O.K....:D

First the TJ:
Pro's,
1. From a appearance only stand point, it is my favorite.
2. The 4.0 engine, is a proven bullet proof engine, (except for the 2005, and 2006).
3. Relatively easy to work on and maintain.
4. It handles off road relatively well, and is durable, as long as you have the Dana 44 rear diff.
5. Steering linkage is designed for longevity, partially do to being able to grease the movable wear items.

Con's,
1. Just not enough room to set comfortably, for a large person. (It's just to narrow). It gives you the feeling, that you are being squeezed uncomfortably into the cab.
2. The Automatic three (3) and four (4) speed, (depending on year), just aren't that great. Mine was the 4 speed.
3. The 2005, and 2006 have a OPDA gear failure, that is caused by the factory redesigning a seal location, and causing oil starvation to the gears.. To the best of my knowledge, Chrysler/Jeep does not have a updated fix, for this issue....:banghead:
4. It's just not very comfortable riding in, particularly long term. Not good on highway higher speed cornering, the wheelbase is just to narrow. It just doesn't feel safe...:nonono:
5. The engine has a lack of power.
6. Fuel economy, really sucks!!!
7. Most come with the Dana 35 rear differential. You install larger tires, and or a locker, along with getting it bouncing, and yes it will fail! Twist a axle right off at the side gear, and when that happens, then the axle will work its way out, along with the wheel/tire. This design with a c clip, is just a accident, waiting to happen!!!

The bottom line is, that it was a great Wrangler for it's time, but as of current, it is old outdated technology!!!

Now for the 2012, 2013, and 2014 JKs:
Pro's,
1. The cab is wider, I believe about 8", so you just feel that you now have the comfort needed from the side by side area.
2. The overall ride quality, is just immensely improved over the TJ.
3. The Pentastar 3.6 engines performance, when geared properly to tire size, is just amazing.
4. The new 5 speed automatic, is just second to none, for rock crawl, or on highway usage. Again, gearing always plays into this!
5. The Dana 44, 30 diffrentials, (are of the new generation), and just quieter, and more durable.
6. I do some high speed mountain driving with my 2013 Wrangler, and I feel very safe in both cornering, and windy conditions. My TJ, just wasn't as stable, nor did I feel as safe in it, during these conditions!
7. When driving high speed highway, the JK is just much quieter, then the TJ, and that is a Hard Top to Hard Top comparison for noise.
8. Improved fuel economy.
9. Improved breaking capability.
10. You have factory warranty, if something goes wrong.

Con's,
1. About 1% of the 3.6 engines have had a cylinder head issue. (Factory warranty).
2. There have been some water pump failure. (Factory warranty).
3. Some sand casting particles, causing cooling system issues. (Factory warranty).
4. Getting into the back seat on a 2 door, is just a nightmare, worse than the TJ.
5. There are no grease fittings in the steering linkage, so the parts wear out faster.

The last TJ was a 2006. My reference starts in 2012. So the bottom line is that, 6 year newer Technology has come a long way to improve the overall Wrangler, and make it into a real winner......:iamhappy:

OP, I hope that you decide on a JK, but if you go with a TJ, then two of the best years, with the least problems, are the 2003, and 2004....:thumb:

I did not comment on the 2007, through 2011, because I have never owned one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts