Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is an overhead frame that I just built.

I will be doing a complete description of the parts and the installation in the next several days.

Please return and check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a cool design to hold your CB and Ham radio on very sturdy, safe, overhead frame. I have not seen this design anywhere else, so I don’t think it has been patented or is in patent pending. If I am mistaken, please let me know by PM and I will remove it.

DISCLAIMER: If you are not mechanically inclined, please have a local car repair center do this work for you. My instructions may not be as complete as they should, and I may have not fully explained everything.

There are numerous other posts on this site and other Jeep sites about how to run the electrical wiring from the battery, through the pre-existing hole in the firewall, and up through the plastic covers on the window frame. So I won't waste your time with those details.

Cost and Labor: I estimate that the parts cost to be approximately $150. It took me about 3 hours to cut, paint and assemble the frame onto the vehicle.

Please be aware that this design requires that you modify the JK’s center over-head plastic cover for this frame at the same time when you have it removed to do the electrical wiring. This is a very important part of the installation, so get all your electrical wiring and CB frame parts together, and do both installs at the same time

OK...now for the parts. You can do an internet search for some of these parts, or your local Home Depot/Lowes/Ace my carry them. I will note where I got them and the cost I paid, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

I did mine in black. Some parts I purchased were black anodized, while others had to be spray painted semi-gloss black. Of course, you might wish to stay with the natural color of aluminum, or pink or maybe camo.

PARTS

1) QTY-1, 80/20 Inc., 1010, 10 Series, 1" x 1" T-Slotted Extrusion x 72" Black. Amazon @ $33
2) QTY-1, 80/20 Inc., 1010, 10 Series, 1" x 1" T-Slotted Extrusion x 24" Black. Amazon @ $20
3) QTY-4, 80/20 10 Series 4136 4-HOLE INSIDE CORNER GUSSET CORNER BRACKET. Amazon @ $30
4) QTY-2, 80/20 10 Series 4185 LIVING HINGE ARM. Amazon @ $30
5) QTY-1, 80/20 Inc., 3393, 10 Series, Bolt Assembly: 1/4-20 x .5" Button Head Socket Cap Screw (BHSCS) and Slide-In Economy T-Nut (25 Pack). Amazon @ $20
6) QTY-1, 1/4" x 1" x 24" aluminum flat bar. Home Depot @ $15
7) QTY-1, Spray can of semi-gloss black paint. Ace @ $5
8) Good selection of #4-#8 sheet metal screws. Home Depot @ $5

More Photos and Instructions to follow

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is really interesting. I'd love to hear how you put it together, specifically, how you attached the ends of the frame. I see the pieces up front, and have an idea of how they're put together. I don't know how its put together in the rear.

Thanks for putting in the work and posting this here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you checked head clearance.....I removed my CB overhead as every time I got into the JK I hit the corner of the CB with my head.

Sold it and went to a ham radio with a separate face so Nothing is in the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered one of those Rugged Ridge overhead CB mounts for my Kenwood TK-840 GMRS-programmed radio, so we'll see what that's like first. I've got my IC-5100 also in the rig. Think I'm going to park the external speaker behind my head, screwed to the soundbar plastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Geepsters

Haven't been on for a long time...just having to much fun driving my JKU.

I see there is some interest in my design.

In response, no i have never hit my head on the radio...because I relocated the CB more towards the center of the system.

I will get some more photos about how I attached the rear portion to the overhead...

Be back shortly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you hopefully can see...my CB radio and the Ham radio body are mounted in the center of the system.

In addition, the rear of the 80/20 system is screwed in to the overhead plastic cover using a simple flat plate screwed onto the 80/20 1 x 1

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. I like the idea of a frame that's flexible to mount equipment. I'm having troubles finding a location for the switches for lights, etc. as well, so this frame concept might just work for that purpose as well.

I'll provide some pictures here soon. I need to do a write up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts