Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these 2 lights. Which one is better? Which one has less issues and can last a long time? I read some reviews that the Pro Comps have some static radio problems and flicker issues, don't know how true this is.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Trying to decide between these 2 lights. Which one is better? Which one has less issues and can last a long time? I read some reviews that the Pro Comps have some static radio problems and flicker issues, don't know how true this is.
In sheer light output and performance, the Pro Comp stands alone at the top of the LED options. But yes, there have been some reports of people having issues with them. I have 4 sets now and do not have any of those issues. I have tried 7 different sets of headlights in my Jeep... Some were given to me to test and others I bought. (I'm in the lighting industry and have some testing instruments, etc). When someone asks, I do always recommend the Pro Comps. Now that said, the Q-Tec Gen 2 is also a very good headlight. You wouldn't go wrong either way.

Here's a couple shots of the Pro Comps on my street. The first is low beams. Notice the sharp cutoff on the hedge to the left. The signs lit at the end of the street are 1/2 mile away.

Now the high beams. Notice the trees now on both sides. The power poles and signs... Serious punch.

Reactions: JeepinItReal

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The original design of light ProComp used from Tough Plus was great, however, after a few months into production with ProComp it appears something had changed and there were many problems. Apparently these issues have been addressed but I haven’t followed up in awhile. There were also some patent issues.
I had a set of the original Lumens headlights model A01010 produced for them by Tough Plus (out of China of course). Great lights, well built, DOT certified. This set of headlights is 6 years old and still working fine but I no longer own that Jeep. The Lumens lights were not cheap either and required no anti flicker harness as that was built into the lights themselves. They also did not strobe when seen in a video like most all aftermarket LED headlights do.
I will never suggest cheaping out on LED headlights because in the end they are nothing but a headache.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original design of light ProComp used from Tough Plus was great, however, after a few months into production with ProComp it appears something had changed and there were many problems. Apparently these issues have been addressed but I haven’t followed up in awhile. There were also some patent issues.
I had a set of the original Lumens headlights model A01010 produced for them by Tough Plus (out of China of course). Great lights, well built, DOT certified. This set of headlights is 6 years old and still working fine but I no longer own that Jeep. The Lumens lights were not cheap either and required no anti flicker harness as that was built into the lights themselves. They also did not strobe when seen in a video like most all aftermarket LED headlights do.
I will never suggest cheaping out on LED headlights because in the end they are nothing but a headache.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
so if you had to pick one right now and knowing that the new pro comps might come with some problems, would you still go with the pro comps?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
so if you had to pick one right now and knowing that the new pro comps might come with some problems, would you still go with the pro comps?
I won't answer for @JTPhoto JK but I will tell you that about 1-1/2 years ago I was contacted by a Pro Comp distributor that was working with the factory to solve some of the issues, mainly the high beam getting stuck on when hot. Of the issues they asked me to reproduce (they weren't seeing or able to reproduce the problems on the test bench) the only one that I was able to reproduce was the hot high beam problem. I tested 2 different sets for them and sent videos and reported back my findings. They told me that they had found an OEM change in 2 internal components that were apparently "cheapened" and were causing the issue. They changed the manufacturing spec and sent a 3rd set to me for testing that I was not able to produce any of the "complaints" on. So, as long as the MFG date tag is 11/19 or newer, there should be zero issues.

While nobody wants to change their headlights "again", the Pro Comps come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Nothing else even comes close to that warranty.

Good luck.

Reactions: pableezus

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I just checked out the ProComp lights. Looks like they changed the design a bit with the new Gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts