Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Rear of my 2011 JK 2 door sits lower than it is supposed to. I had spare springs with same rate which I installed but not much difference. What else affects ground clearance? Can dead shock absorbers cause that?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hi everyone. Rear of my 2011 JK 2 door sits lower than it is supposed to. I had spare springs with same rate which I installed but not much difference. What else affects ground clearance? Can dead shock absorbers cause that?
What else is in the back? You can get a 1" or 2" inch spring spacers. I've had to do that in the rear after installing a steel bumper with a 35inch wheel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Shocks have nothing at all to do with ride height. That is the purpose of the springs and how much crap you put in the back of the Jeep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What else is in the back? You can get a 1" or 2" inch spring spacers. I've had to do that in the rear after installing a steel bumper with a 35inch wheel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I forgot to mention that the jeep is stock. No bumper, no lift, stock wheels and tires.

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
A picture of the side of the Jeep would help. You can't directly compare the distance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender between front and rear as they don't have the same gap when level.
As mentioned, the shocks don't affect ride height. Spring length, spring rate, and the amount of weight the springs are supporting are what determine ride height. If you have springs without additional spacers and don't like the height / rake of the Jeep you can add spacers to the back and / or front to adjust it as you see fit. A 1" thick spacer, say added on top of the rear springs, will raise the rear ride height 1" without changing spring rate or ride quality.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I just have to ask for sanity sake. When you said no spacers over the springs, are the spring isolators on top of the rear springs still?

A fairly easy way to tell if you have rake or not is to get an angle finder app for your phone. park on level ground. and place the phone on your steps. It should show a line where the rear is higher than the front.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Here’s some pictures that you can use to determine how far off you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If you don't like the way it sits put a 1 inch spacer in the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts