Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have searched within the forum for any previous threads on JK rear (stock) suspension enhancements but did not find anything.
I will soon be towing a newly built off-road style So-Cal tear drop camper-trailer with my stock JK.

2016 JK (2Dr./4WD), 3.21 ratio axles, 3.6L engine, automatic transmission. Did I mention stock?

Camper-trailer ‘dry’ gross weight is 1,325 lb. with a tongue weight of 175 lb.

So, I am within the 2,000 lb. gross trailer weight rating and 200 lb. max tongue weight of the JK.

I am concerned as I load gear to the JK and the camper-trailer I am going to experience dreaded (and embarrassing) rear suspension sag.

I am considering installing a rear suspension enhancement prior to picking up my camper-trailer from the builder. Two options I have found;

1) Air Lift 1000 Leveling System $98.00

2) Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade $215.00

They both accomplish the same results but differently. The Air Lift system uses an airbag installed in the center of the coil springs and can be adjusted with air pressure to achieve the desired leveling of the vehicle.

The Timbren system uses a replacement bump stop that would engage progressively under heavy load conditions.

Anyone have experience with either of these rear suspension enhancements? Which is most effective and reliable?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
No experience with either system. But you could just upgrade your springs. Get the number off your springs and we can provide you with a better spring. SOmething like a 18/59 would work great I think. But your biggest issue will be your performance with 3.21 gears.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Please explain Where you will be towing ?

Please explain Where you will be towing ? If you are going up the Alcan Hwy or the Alaska road to Prudhoe Bay , with detours fording rocky streams and rock climbing , the answer will be different from simply driving down the highway to a national park . :bop:

·
Registered
610 Posts
A tongue weight of 175 will also lower your payload weight by 175 + the weight passengers.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i dont think you will have to worry too much about the rear sagging.

im not sure what the tonque weight was on this thing, but i was told just the boat weighed 2600lbs. my jeep was completely stock in this picture(minus the lightbar and wheel spacers).

i think the rear only went down about 3/4-1". and i could not lift the tongue by myself! i only towed it to my friends house and wont tow it again, just because of the wear it will cause on the clutch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Towing will be USA / Canada but this is an off-road design camper so I intend on getting to locations a little off the beaten path.

Agree, I am planning on upgrading from the stock 3.21:1 axle-gear ratios...

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
Towing will be USA / Canada but this is an off-road design camper so I intend on getting to locations a little off the beaten path.

Agree, I am planning on upgrading from the stock 3.21:1 axle-gear ratios...
If you are going to spend for the axle ratio change, expect to spend for a little larger tire... If you are putting on a little larger tire, go with a small lift that has springs designed for more weight... See how this goes?

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you are going to spend for the axle ratio change, expect to spend for a little larger tire... If you are putting on a little larger tire, go with a small lift that has springs designed for more weight... See how this goes?
Pressure, what are the most firm/or springs designed for more weight for front springs.

I have MC 2.5 and with heavy front bumper doesn't handle well in terms of driving handling.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have not put an Air Lift on a JK but had them on a Previous TJ and currently run them on my Motorhome and Dually that I pull a 12,000lb race car trailer.
They really make a difference, when not towing I run around 25PSI in them. Nice to be able to adjust rear ride height for different loads.
Makes a huge difference in Braking and Steering as too much tongue weight will cause light contact patch on front tires.

My vote if you are wanting to keep current ride height-- Air Lift

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Pressure, what are the most firm/or springs designed for more weight for front springs.

I have MC 2.5 and with heavy front bumper doesn't handle well in terms of driving handling.
What do you mean by if it does not handle well? You really don't get much heavier than my Jeep and it handles fantastic for what it is. If I remember correctly did you not put 3.5 springs in the front and 2.5 in the back or am I confussing you with someone else.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A bunch of weight in front of the front wheels is going to make it feel less nimble no matter what springs you have. You're going to feel it when you change directions. You get used to it though

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a follow-up to my initial post 30-Jul-2017; I towed my new Kascade 5'x9' Great Lakes Teardrop trailer weight ~1,400 lbs. 2,400 miles round-trip (all highway miles). No issues with stock JK suspension with all loads within design specification limits...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts