Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little premature since I probably won't lift my JK until this summer. Anyone have any experience with the Rough Country X Series lift kits? They seem a bit cheaper in price than some but come with progressive coils. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, it looks like you're talking about either a 4 inch or 6 inch. Indeed, their X-series is less expensive than some competing lifts. However, be aware that you are not seeing the total cost to sort things properly. Search around on the forum and think about things like drive shafts, exhaust clearance, rear track bar, etc.

Lots of folks on this forum will try and point you to the folks at Full Traction, Teraflex, AEV, etc. depending on their preference. I'd say you have the benefit of time, do the research and find the lift you want. Here's the thing - over six months, the difference between a 1200 dollar lift and an 1800 dollar lift is only 100 dollars a month...heck, that's less than some folks drinking money.

Of course, when you start talking about drive shafts and things...well...it can get pricey. Lots of folks on this forum try to stay below 3 inches for just that reason.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The one I installed on my tj has held up well. the grease zerts will need to be changed out with ones that have different angles so you can grease them in place. I have had it on for two years and so far no problems. I don't do any severe rock crawling but I do take on on forest trails every summer and winter. I took the chance on the cheaper lift and so far haven't had any problems. If I were to take it crawling maybe I would. After the lift settled it stayed at roughly 4" of lift (to start it was 5). I know Im going to get blasted but this is my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! I also want to be able to pull a trailer with wood or load down me jeep with gear and what not. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I ran the RC X-series on the TJ. It was ok, I had a few issues over the years with it but I'm not sure you wouldn't have some issues. I had a grease zerk jamb, needed to replace it. I had two joints fail (old design of the kit), RC cut me a discount and shipped the new design arms out - fixed the problem for years. The biggest issue I had was getting a good track bar, and tie rod set up going. I ended up with the TF track bar, taking the 4 inch drop pitman arm out and going back to stock (I needed more clearance), and then doing the ZJ tie rod conversion (needed more room). I would say it was a bad lift at all, I'd guess for having it 4 years and only having those issues it might be quite good actually- I just never looked at it that hard. I guess my only other complaint is that I had the grease it once a month, and some of the grease zerk angles required a special grease gun tip to reach.

I have no idea how well they have built the JK kits, I haven't gotten that far into my mod plans to look yet. I'm hanging back for the winter like you are and planning things for spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts