Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 JK Rubicon with 14,000 miles is showing signs of what I term as “pre-death wobble (PDW)”. My symptoms have been: 1. Slight wandering of steering to right-side 2. I’ve feeling a minor vibration in steering wheel when going over rough road or bump. Nothing major buts seems to be the beginning. BTW- years ago I had a Jeep Cherokee that had death wobble – very scary. I’ve keep a check on torque specification of front end bolts – they are tight and have not been loose at anytime.
Bottom-line – it’s time for me to be preventative for my 2014 potential DW.
My 3.5” AEV lift was installed about 8,000 mile ago with 35’s. Prior to lift install, I’ve read about a dozen threads regarding DW and have a decent grasp of what needs to be done. My goal is to “correct” the key components for DW at one time. I plan to do the following and want ask the forum expert is there anything missing from my plan for DW and commonsense things needed to strength axle. I use JK for daily and off road recreationally about 6 times a year. Moderate trails. Appreciate everyone’s help.
Plan:
1. Replace all ball joints - open to suggestion – would really like TeraFlex however I’m reading there are difficulties with fitment on 2014 due to larger yoke. Most likely will go with Synergy
2. Northridge – front end bolt kit – already have kit
3. Tie Rod ends - should I go ahead and replaced while I’m at it?
4. Any other front end items make sense to replace?
5. Reinforcement with gusset kit?

Appreciate any positive input. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing drag link ends or ball joints. Did you do the steering test ?
yes, to dry steering test - everything looks good. Also, checked ball joints by lifting front tire with jack and attempting to move back and forth - not much movement in ball joint. I will go ahead and replace soon due to the know issues with OEM Ball joints

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I had the AEV 3.5 with the drop bracket and I was unable to get the Caster angle back to where I wanted it until I added a set of adjustable control arms. I added a full set because I knew that I would eventually upgrade to the 4.5" lift coils. This is what causes the flighty steering.

Beyond that, I would check every single joint before replacing to find which are loose or faulty. It's better to isolate the problem before you add a bunch of new parts. Then you upgrade as many parts as you want.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I had the AEV 3.5 with the drop bracket and I was unable to get the Caster angle back to where I wanted it until I added a set of adjustable control arms. I added a full set because I knew that I would eventually upgrade to the 4.5" lift coils. This is what causes the flighty steering. Beyond that, I would check every single joint before replacing to find which are loose or faulty. It's better to isolate the problem before you add a bunch of new parts. Then you upgrade as many parts as you want.
What did get and what did you want for caster ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
If it's only doing it when you hit bumps, it's not tire balance.

Get your caster angle within specs first.
Make sure your steering damper is working well and tight at it's mounts.

Then, if needed, or you can't get to specs, the ball joints may have to be replaced. Tie rod ends and drag link can also be inspected during your allignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts