Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a 2012 or newer, 2-door, Sport model JK.

-Why do some of the 2012 JK models have engines that say "VVT" (variable valve trans) and some dont?
-Also, I'm noticing some come with power windows/locks and others don't.

All of the Jeeps I'm looking at are 2-door, Sport model JK's. Is there a trim level or something that I am not aware of?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
There is a sport and a sport-s, sport is barest of bare bones with limited options and the sport has a few upgrades more available options. As for the engine I believe it’s some sellers being more specific than others but they’re the same engine.

Reactions: mav031

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
All 2012-2018 JK’s only have one engine, it’s the same 3.6L V6. Also VVT stands for “variable valve timing” not “variable valve trans)

Sport has manual locks, mirrors, windows

Sport S has power locks, mirrors, windows

There is no “Sport S” badge, they all just say “Sport” on the side

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
What they said. There is no engine option on a JK / JKU, regardless of whether it is a Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon. All 2012 - 2018 JK / JKUs have the same 3.6 liter V6 with VVT. The 2007 - 2011 JK / JKUs have an older 3.8 liter V6 and no VVT (as I recall).

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
They changed the plastic cover at some point. That's all. You can usually spot the Sport S package because it has 17" alloys instead of the 16" steelies.

Be aware that some don't come with A/C too! You definitely want A/C.

Reactions: mav031

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are other options, too, like rear-end gearing. I read somewhere recently that the "max tow" package gets you a better rear axle than even a Rubicon, though I don't know if that's true.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
There are other options, too, like rear-end gearing. I read somewhere recently that the "max tow" package gets you a better rear axle than even a Rubicon, though I don't know if that's true.
The Max Tow package can get you to 3.73 (over the std 3.21).

The Rubicon comes standard with 3.73 with an auto, standard with 4.10 with a manual, and optional 4.10 with an auto.

Reactions: mcguirev10

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Let's not forget all those Sport-based Special Editions.

And I am thinking of the Willys edition too (a Sport-ified Rubicon :D ).

Reactions: Ed Pursell

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Max Tow package can get you to 3.73 (over the std 3.21).

The Rubicon comes standard with 3.73 with an auto, standard with 4.10 with a manual, and optional 4.10 with an auto.
Interesting, I thought all Rubicons were 4.10. My wife's Sport has 3.73 listed as an option, but it doesn't have Max Tow ... I wonder how that works.

Reactions: vikingshadow

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought my '14 Sport S used and it is nicely equipped. Just my opinion, the 17" wheels are nice, the power windows/locks/mirrors are nice - but I really like that it has the connectivity group and enhanced EVIC. It's nice to scroll through and see all the information as well as being able tp update some basic functions.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It may vary by model year, I'm pretty sure that everything that came standard with the Sport S, was available as an option on the base Sport.

For instance, the base Sport had 16 inch steel wheels, and no power windows/doors/locks. But the 17 inch aluminum wheels and power windows/doors/locks were available as options on the base Sport at extra cost.

I think the bottom line is that if you wanted a well dressed Sport, getting the Sport S package worked out cheaper than buying the regular Sport and paying for all the extra options separately.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
And 3.73 gears, leather-wrapped steering wheel, speed control, hard top, and AC.
All optional equipment

Interesting, I thought all Rubicons were 4.10. My wife's Sport has 3.73 listed as an option, but it doesn't have Max Tow ... I wonder how that works.
Max Tow simply bundled the 3.73 & the hitch (w/4pin) which could be ordered individually.

All Rubicons were 4.10 from 2003-2011 (and 2018-2019 JL)

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Also, if I recall correctly, the S package did not necessarily include A/C on the 2 door. It was included on the 4 door.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful.

I am actually going to look at a used JK tomorrow. Quick specs:
-2015. Sport. 2dr. Auto.
-60k miles. 2 previous owners. Clean title/carfax.
-3" lift. Aftermarket tires/rims/lights.
-24s package - power everything, etc.

-Dealer asking 21k.

Only concern is that it spent its first 2 years as a rental car in Hawaii. I know thats a red flag as rental cars aren't treated well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you can get the VIN of the vehicle, (or any other Wrangler you are shopping for) you can generate a PDF copy of the original window sticker using the first link below. The second link will get you the complete build sheet.

Cut the links below and paste them in your browser.

Put the VIN of the vehicle after the "vin=" at the end of the links. Don't leave any spaces.
Code:
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=
(The code tags are there to prevent Wranglerforum from shortening the links as sometimes happens).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts