1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read somewhere JK Sport stock model comes with two tire sizes

225/75R16------this is what i have.

Is it true that the same model comes with this--
255/75R17--more ground clearance? any change in overall price?

thanks in advance friends

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The only thing I'm aware of which we've ended up change for our special order is that the stock sport has:

► 16-Inch x 7-Inch Styled Steel Wheels / P225/75R16 BSW On/Off-Road Tires

► 16-Inch x 7-Inch Black Steel and 31-Inch Dueler Tire / P245/75R16 OWL All Season Tires

The Sport S which is an upgraded version of the sport with the 17'' wheels:

► 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Satin Silver Aluminum Wheels / P255/75R17 OWL On/Off-Road Tires

However, once the jeep is on the lot the dealer may change this setup based on the customers needs. Yet buying used, all bets are off as to what was original equipment on the jeep when it was new.

For instance, we've optioned for the black 16's / Duelers. Then later, we'll added the MOAB Rubicon wheels with diffident tires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In 2015, the standard model was the 225 w/steel wheels, the Sport S option which I believe was $2500 more (I ordered my Jeep so I picked exactly what I wanted). The S package was AC & the bigger tires you mention plus I believe some other misc trim. At the time, I didn't care about the tires/wheels so I ordered the AC for around $1k.

Anyway, I just bought the 17" wheel/255's off another member who upgraded his tires.

The picture below is the 255's in the the front & the stock 225's in the back before I finished changing them all. Jeep's now about 1-1/2" to 2 inches taller.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the answers, it really helps.

Since my Jeep has 225/75R16, Seems like, in future I will be able to use only P245/75R16 if i ever want little more ground clearance, unless i change the wheels rims to R17.

Is this true?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last set of three questions

1. Can I get a "lift" on JK sport and still use 225/75R16 ?
2. How much does it cost?
3. Does this lift cause any stability problem since the center of gravity is being shifted from the Stock model?

again, thanks for all your answers.... Jeep wave again , friends!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Let's suppose that all you're going to do to the wrangler is add a boost using ungraded Mopar coils. (which is what we're hoping to do ourselves) But keeping the 225/75/16'a on this lift would cause a stability issues as you've suggested. I personally don't feel the 225's are meant to be abused in this manor. small tire basic wheels/rim on a lifted wrangler would have a funny appearance and be unsafe. yet I have seen others running around town with this set up, I think caution would need to be used in this instance.

Then let's take this a bit farther.. suppose you add a few accessories, nerf bar, heavier bumpers ete. Even though the 225's have a load rating.. adding all this other stuff is going to stress the tires and give you a very flat performance feeling, sluggish and could be all over the road. At which point you should at least upgrade as @CJ River Rider did with his jeep by adding the 17'' 255 and nothing would need to be changed, unless you wanted to change the coils/shocks. The 255's would offer more stability and a wider stance.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You can lift your Jeep as high as you want, but there's really not a great need to do it with stock tires. Generally people install lifts to clear larger tires.

You have 16X7 rims which will take larger tires. You can easily fit P265/75-16's Here's a thread dealing with tires on stock JKs http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

Lifts can be cheap, (just adding spring spacers), or you can have new shocks, control arms and other suspension parts that can ring in at over $1000. It all depends what you want to do...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BarrelBore and jwt873 for the info, yes, I do agree about the stability, load bearing and the "funny appearance" as well , with R16 wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the biggest i can go with my R16 is this....thanks jwt873 for the link...

285/75/16

without spending money on new bigger rims.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks BarrelBore and jwt873 for the info, yes, I do agree about the stability, load bearing and the "funny appearance" as well , with R16 wheels.
I don't think my tires look funny on R16 wheels... I quite like the look...

315/75R16's...
no lift yet though... ran out of money...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Here's a shot of my stock LT255/75R17C tires on my Willys with an AEV 2" Spacer Suspension Lift. I'm planning on switching to 33s when the stocks wear out or Duratracs go on sale, whichever comes first. I really like the wheels. The tires, not so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
the only issue with the stock 16 wheels is the 7" width... that kind of limits your choices...
but the the 16" part really isn't an issue... plenty of nice tire choices available for 16"...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considering budget, i am happy know that there are several choices of R16 available. without changing the lift and without changing the Rims. thanks again friends.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Something to consider, if the Jeep comes with the 225 75 16 it most likely have the 3.21 gears. If it came with 255 75 17 it most likely have the 3.73 gears.
If it has 3.21 you will not want to run tires much larger than stock.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just wanted to say something here, when I say "lift" I'm merely suggesting that when one remains with stock coil and shock options you would gain a slight boost. So no official lift is in our books.. But a simple coil upgrade might be a better option for you down the road. The stock 2 & 4 door wranglers come with a "normal duty suspension" Jeep offers a heavy duty and the performance suspension as options on several wrangler.. But if you're going to actually lift the wrangler, Mopar has the 2'' & 4'' inches lift kits.

In other words, know your coils tags number before you decide what to do next. We test drove a wrangler unlimited over the weekend. At which time, I had a chance to examine the coils. This particular unlimited sport has 17 front and 58 rear. (normal duty) I could increase this with the heavy duty or performance. Often this just means upgrading the shocks. But I wanted that boost, so we may opt for the 19/60 set up as installed on most Rubicons etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts