Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
Sorry; I've only had mine on for 1 month. I did a lot of research on the different ones out there, and have not heard reports of the hinges seizing.
It is plausible if you live in the midwest or northeast and you dont maintain lubrication on the pivot of the hinge... its possible.

Just to share a story I read recently. Not sure if it is true or not...

Woman driving on the freeway and had oversized tires and an oversized spare on the factory carrier. The carrier cracked, broke off while she was on the freeway. Tire hit two other cars but no one was injured. Her insurance denied her claim since it states in the owners manual states X weight but she exceeded that by quite a bit. We seem to forget that safety should come first and to do the right thing. IMO, lift, bigger wheels and tires, speedo calibration and tire carrier/hinge should all be installed together for safety sake.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I just checked my oem carrier after removing my wheels for the new aev ones. There are no signs of fatigue that i see. i do keep my eye out for a sale on the teraflex mount. their carrier is great but long term i may get the mount too. so far so good.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I need to confess that now I've installed my new Salta wheels, my spare is too far from the tailgate for my comfort. I adjusted the snubbers by adding a golf ball to one and doubling up the plumbing adapters, but I'm not comfortable with the additional leverage now being placed on the oem tire carrier. I broke down and purchase the TeraFlex Adjustable tire carrier. This will allow me to move the spare much closer to the tailgate and give me the option of supporting 37s if I ever go that big.

If I stayed on OEM wheels, I would not upgrade, but the Saltas have forced my hand...

Also, my backup camera and third brake light need to be spaced out 1.25" to clear the wheel spokes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I need to confess that now I've installed my new Salta wheels, my spare is too far from the tailgate for my comfort. I adjusted the snubbers by adding a golf ball to one and doubling up the plumbing adapters, but I'm not comfortable with the additional leverage now being placed on the oem tire carrier. I broke down and purchase the TeraFlex Adjustable tire carrier. This will allow me to move the spare much closer to the tailgate and give me the option of supporting 37s if I ever go that big.

If I stayed on OEM wheels, I would not upgrade, but the Saltas have forced my hand...

Also, my backup camera and third brake light need to be spaced out 1.25" to clear the wheel spokes.

Are the Saltas 5" back space? All this time, I thought they were the same as OEM.

I know it's off topic, but do you have a side shot of the Jeep? I always see these wheels in black.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
The parts listing on mymoparparts lists three parts numbers for the tailgate. The oldest part number is 68002355AC, followed by 68079246AA and finally by 68079246AB. The listing also has something I have not seen before on their site - "Local Pickup Only". While I have no documentation to confirm this the three separate listings may coincide with the capacity of the spare tire mount and hinge support.

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
I'm guessing the latter two numbers are for the Teraflex made MOPAR unit available on some 2017/18 JK and some JL models. Its the Teraflex hinge and carrier, but made for MOPAR.

·
Registered
422 Posts
FWIW I carry a 285/75-17 (34") tire on an aftermarket wheel on my stock tailgate on a 2014, weighs in at right around 80 lbs. Been watching things (particularly the spot welds) and no signs of problems after about 40k miles so far, including a lot of off-road.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
407 Posts
Of course I get the runt of the litter (2008 with #50 limit) - I have been running 285/70R17 with the OEM 255 for a spare. Next week I will be replacing the tires with another set of 285's and using the best of the ones coming off as the new spare. At #55 for the tire + the weight of the wheel, I didn't want to risk damaging a 13 year old rig so I am also upgrading the carrier to a Rugged Ridge Spartacus carrier. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of course I get the runt of the litter (2008 with #50 limit) - I have been running 285/70R17 with the OEM 255 for a spare. Next week I will be replacing the tires with another set of 285's and using the best of the ones coming off as the new spare. At #55 for the tire + the weight of the wheel, I didn't want to risk damaging a 13 year old rig so I am also upgrading the carrier to a Rugged Ridge Spartacus carrier. Better safe than sorry.
You're going to love the Rugged Ridge Spartacus carrier. Much more solid than the OEM, totally adjustable and you can upgrade to the RR hinge pkg if you go really big.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
407 Posts
You're going to love the Rugged Ridge Spartacus carrier. Much more solid than the OEM, totally adjustable and you can upgrade to the RR hinge pkg if you go really big.
Thanks. Keeping to the 33's, I went with a heavy duty (MOR/ryde) hinge set up. They claim to be able to hold the tailgate with a 37 so shouldn't be any problem hanging a 33.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks. Keeping to the 33's, I went with a heavy duty (MOR/ryde) hinge set up. They claim to be able to hold the tailgate with a 37 so shouldn't be any problem hanging a 33.
You'll have no worries for sure.
I did not upgrade to the hinge set-up and I also have 285/70R17.
I have no fear however as the OEM LT 255/75R17 BFG MUD weigh 49.25 lbs
and 285/70R17 BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 weigh 51.37 lbs.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
407 Posts
You'll have no worries for sure.
I did not upgrade to the hinge set-up and I also have 285/70R17.
I have no fear however as the OEM LT 255/75R17 BFG MUD weigh 49.25 lbs
and 285/70R17 BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 weigh 51.37 lbs.
My OEM carrier has a 50LB weight limit. The tire I am putting on weigh 56 + the weight of the wheel. At 13 years old, last thing I want is to have to repair or replace the tailgate due to stress fractures or cracked welds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My OEM carrier has a 50LB weight limit. The tire I am putting on weigh 56 + the weight of the wheel. At 13 years old, last thing I want is to have to repair or replace the tailgate due to stress fractures or cracked welds.
Ah. Yes the tire carriers have improved (solidified) over the years. I had those figures for the model years but I don't have them on short notice. Those numbers are posted somewhere on this forum. I think the last JK mounts can handle up to 85 lbs. Don't quote me.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
407 Posts
Ah. Yes the tire carriers have improved (solidified) over the years. I had those figures for the model years but I don't have them on short notice. Those numbers are posted somewhere on this forum. I think the last JK mounts can handle up to 85 lbs. Don't quote me.
True, the newer years have a greater load capacity. Back in 2008, the limit was 50LBS and I believe the OEM tire weighed 39. That and a few other improvements over the years is why I refer to mine as the "Runt of the litter"...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Duh. :rolleyes: The weights by years are posted in #1 on this very thread by the OP.

The weight limit for JK Wrangler tire carriers varied by year:
  • 2007-2012 50 pounds
  • 2013 69 pounds
  • 2014-2018 85 pounds

Reactions: Retired-Not-Dead

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
407 Posts
Let the games begin... DSC_3264.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
What about JKs/JKUs that had the Teraflex carrier from the factory like the Recons, Hard Rocks, and the 10As? What is their limit? I'm assuming all these carriers (OEM, TF, RR, etc) are similar to some degree. Teraflex states the carrier weighs 47 lbs and can handle up to a 37" tire, so was curious if anyone knows the upper limit the tailgate can handle with these styles of carriers on them. Not all 37s are the same and I'm guessing you have to also include the 47lb weight of the carrier too.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
115 Posts
What about JKs/JKUs that had the Teraflex carrier from the factory like the Recons, Hard Rocks, and the 10As? What is their limit? I'm assuming all these carriers (OEM, TF, RR, etc) are similar to some degree. Teraflex states the carrier weighs 47 lbs and can handle up to a 37" tire, so was curious if anyone knows the upper limit the tailgate can handle with these styles of carriers on them. Not all 37s are the same and I'm guessing you have to also include the 47lb weight of the carrier too.
I have a hard rock.....there is a 285 on it now. I think it is a stock carrier? Someone correct me if i am wrong. I want to put 315s on her and looking at aftermarket carriers.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts