Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still learning and had no idea they changed the JK to a JL. What’s the difference? Guess i can ask when i go to the dealer to check out the new JT but i love to learn here from all of you.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Although the average person wouldn’t notice, exterior styling is heavily revised; the interior is all-new. JL’s main visual differences are a more inclined windshield, front fender side air exhausts, and a taller grille. The rear seat is now more habitable, while the front seat lost some head room.

Wranglers, JL and JK, still offer some of the most comfortable front seats in the industry. The upright seating position and relatively low, short hood provide excellent outward visibility and maneuverability on the trail.

The 3.6 V6 is carryover; the 2.0T 4-cyl. and the transmissions are new. JL’s 8-speed automatic has proved to be responsive, smooth, stout and durable. JK’s 5-speed was responsive, stout and durable, too, albeit less smooth. The 3.6 V6 is by now pretty proven. The new 4-cyl turbo, on the other hand, is anyone’s guess at this point. Stop-start is standard on JL.

JL frame and suspension are more of an “update” than all-new. JL axles, front and rear, are completely new. The front axle now has an automatic “free-wheeling” feature to save fuel.

There’s a new Select-Trac 4WD available on Sahara, otherwise 4WD systems are carryover. Select-Trac offers an Auto mode similar to that found on modern pickup trucks, which can be used all the time. Two-door Sahara is gone.

JL Rubicon’s standard BFG KO2 is a longer-lasting and better all-around tire than JK’s KMs. Saharas still come with Bridgestone Dueler all-terrains, but JL Sahara now offers an optional Kevlar-reinforced Goodyear Wrangler tire with a more aggressive tread. Rubicons now come standard with high fenders, allowing to fit 35” tires without lift.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
You’d have to drive or sit in them in at a dealership, back to back to see which you like better.

Another major thing is the JL has a lot more available technology (BSM, ACC, rear camera, parking sensors, 8.4” screen, proximity locks, BSG, ESS, etc)

while the front seat lost some head room.

The 3.6 V6 is carryover; the 2.0T 4-cyl. and the transmissions are new.
I’d say the front seat also lost some leg room, definitely not as comfy for tall folks.

The JL 3.6 and automatic transmissions are actually “newish”.

JL was the first time for the 2nd Gen Pentastar 3.6 and 850RFE trans in Wrangler, but they were first introduced back in 2014 in the Grand Cherokee & Durango.

I’d also add the JL now has electric power steering. Which has been a hot topic issue.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The JL is an improved JK. It rides better, the transmission is much better, and the interior is nicer/more refined. Aldo when into some nice specifics. It's really hard to not like the JL if you're a fan of JKs. There is less room in the drivers seat due to the slanted windshield. I'm about 5'8 so makes no difference for me, but for a taller guy I understand this being a potential issue. The only negative about the JL over the JK is ESS, but it's a habit now for me to just turn it off right after starting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the cool info. Definitely gonna check the JL out.
Wonder if that's why there are so many JK's for sale in N. Carolina?

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Thanks again for all the cool info. Definitely gonna check the JL out.
Wonder if that's why there are so many JK's for sale in N. Carolina?
JK was in production from late 2006 through mid 2018. An estimated 2 million JKs were produced in those twelve years. JL has only been out for 20 months. That alone is going to make used JKs more available.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As a side note, the JL drivers seat has less room underneath so if you desire underseat storage you'll have to look into other options. Also, I couldn't transfer my trailer hitch from JK to JL

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yes, JL lost nearly 2" of hip room, and in the automotive world that's huge. The JK, in my experience, was much more comfortable. Much. Better leg room, better seats, more passenger volume, etc. in the JK.

The steering isn't fully electric, it's a hybrid electro-hydraulic system. I think it's the root of a lot of the "steering sucks!" threads on the forums.

My biggest loves on the JL/JT are the new 3.6L engine/new trans/new aero/new gear ratio combo which DRASTICALLY improved fuel efficiency, and also the new interior is sweeeeeet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All new interior, all new exterior, all new frame, all new suspension, new wheels, new tires, better aero, different engine, different transmission, etc. That's about it.
lol This made me laugh (because it's all true). I'm brand new to jeeps myself, but I did do a lot of research (see youtube) on this subject ant the above is pretty bang on (in a nutshell).

Also mentioned was the full time 4wd (only on the Sahara). For people like me who live in a place where we have 5-7 months of winter (4-5 months of snow, and a month or two of ice), the selec-trac is a REALLY nice feature. And honestly, it's the one thing that's stopping me from getting the Rubicon (well that and I don't do enough serious off-roading to warrant all the fancy suspension disconnect stuff).

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Not quite though.
Same 3.6 with slight modification. Tuned differently but Smaller oil pan.
8 speed trans is different.
Suspension is not really different, Same design some parts like front springs are interchangeable
Wheels are same bolt pattern
Bumpers from JK - JL are interchangeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so wanted to go to a dealer and have a look. Got squashed by my better half and went to Boone instead. Happened to park next to a new JL and while wife was shopping i looked at it best i could and took a few pics.
Started to spot more in traffic then by accident stumbled upon a dealer in Boone. Sort of a off-road shop with maybe 30 jeeps ( mostly New JL,JT and a few used JK and TJ’s ) so i was in heaven. I forgot all about this little shop that i visited and bought a T-Shirt from about 12 years ago. They have grown and so has Boone.
Picked up Headlight and taillight protectors so wasn’t a total loss and got to see the fall colors in the mountains. Owner also gave me some decals!! 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If I were to go from my JKUR to a JLUR it would be for the 8 speed trans and the 8.4 radio. Oh,,, and the CAD front diff.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Not quite though.
Same 3.6 with slight modification. Tuned differently but Smaller oil pan.
8 speed trans is different.
Suspension is not really different, Same design some parts like front springs are interchangeable
Wheels are same bolt pattern
Bumpers from JK - JL are interchangeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This feels like deja vu. :beerdrinking:

The 3.6L is not the same. It has changes both externally AND internally. The bottom end might be similar, but the top end is very different. Different heads, cams, EGR added, etc. etc.

Suspension is very different. JK front coils may work, rears definitely will not. They changed the design, thickness of the links, spring rates, mounting points, materials used, everything in the front and rear, including the steering design and track bars.

Wheels are same bolt pattern, but lug studs are new and JK lugs and nuts won't work.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the tops are also all new. Everything on the JL/JT was revised or changed.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Congrats to all those with new JL's. Any bugs will get worked out. For the long run there may be more. If I didn't have a nice JK I would do the JL, but just can't do the 20K for the swap. I like my mods and a JL would have none. That would be another 7K. It will be many years before my JK has 100K miles on it. I am sure my situation is the same that many have. There is a J? out there for me, someday, possibly.

Reactions: foggy47
1 - 20 of 20 Posts