Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RVs

I have just purchased a 2015 JK and had th dealer install the towing harness 82211156AB on the Jeep prior to delivery.

In testing it yesterday I couldn't get it to work despite using what I've read here and else where about making sure there is 12v on pin 4 of the 7 pin connector.

As an engineer with a mechanical and electrical background I immediately started trouble shooting and narrowed it down to the cord that turns the plug on the Jeep into the 7 pin for the camper.

I believe it is wired incorrectly. After tracing continuity on the harness, it appears that who ever wired it wired it from the back of the connector looking at a diagram from the front.

Could someone who has this installed provide me with information on which wire color on the jeep harness does which function and if possible what the wiring on the back of your plug that goes to the camper looks like?

It would be greatly appreciated as it would save my buddy and myself hours with a multi meter and wired trying to draw this all out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I was doing a quick search, and from what I found, the 82211156AB is to wire-up a Wrangler so that it can be towed (like behind an RV). Here's a link to the installation instructions if such could help your debug: http://klenger.powweb.com/Tiffin_32BA/Towing_Jeep/K6860326_Tow_Vehicle_Wiring_Harness_Install_Guide.pdf

Just to add, the 82210214AB is to wire-up a Wrangler so that it can tow a trailer/camper behind it. Here's a link to the installation instructions for that: https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75397.pdf

I am only bringing such up, because the 7-pin connector would be mirror images of each other, when comparing the two harnesses.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy and I put more effort into this tonight and found out that the issue was not the wiring harness after all, although we did end up modifying it because we want to run a 6 pin from the camper to the Jeep.

Although the way its wired looks wrong, it acts like a cross over cable in a way and ended up working no issues once we figured out the problem.

My issue was my F150. Although it has the trailer towing package and 4 and 7 pin connectors, there wasn't 12 V on the 7 pin connector like I thought yesterday. My Digital Multi-Meter wasn't working correctly and it showed me something inaccurate which led me to believe the pin had power.

Today when I had hours to work with the whole setup and a better set of tools like jumpers, etc., I found that the pins on the 7 pin connector on the Jeep matched the truck and if I turned the parking lights on on the truck and used these as the 12V with long lead wires, everything worked as expected.

So I dug out the manual for the truck and found that there was a relay in slot 9 and 30A fuse in slot 21 that controlled the 12V on pin 4 on the 7 way connector. I opened the hood and looked, no fuse or relay installed. So, I pulled the 30A fuse for the power passenger seat I don't have and a relay for the rear defroster I don't have and put them in slots 9 and 21 respectively.

Then I restarted the truck and everything worked like a charm.

Word to the wise, even if you have trailer towing on your truck and or camper, it doesn't mean you have the 12V on pin 4. A lot of times, they leave those fuses and relays in spare spots for whatever reason. On a RV, you most likely won't have 12V on pin 4 unless you run it yourself.

Also, just so everyone knows, the instructions for the harness installation are horrible and don't mention anything about having 12V on pin 4 of the 7 pin.

Its best to get your manual out and confirm everything before you start and spend hours frustrated like I did.

I hope this helps my fellow Jeepers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is there a more current instructions for installing the tow vehicle harness. The diagrams of where to drill through the firewall don't look like what I have on my 2012 rubicon. There are two wiring harness plugs where the diagram from 07 says to drill.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Found a link on Amazon to a rv site. The guy has a great wright up on how to install. Much better than the little ol slpp from mopar.
Hope this link works.
Mopar Wiring harness - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums
I used that link to drill and install mine. I had no issues and it just works. I had a use a relay on the Jeep's brake light circuit as I have 2 toweds and use an EvenBrake which depresses the Jeep's brake pedal when you coming to a stop. If you use any of the towing brakes, which most states require, that depress the the Jeep's brake pedal you will also need to install a relay, or a switch. If you don't kill the power coming from the brake light switch on the Jeep you will override the turn signals when you are braking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
'Missing' fuses...

My last two trucks, different brands, had 7-conductor trailer wiring pre-installed. Both were missing the 12v power fuses. When I picked up the second vehicle...the check-out salesperson specifically mentioned that the fuse was not installed. I am not sure why the wiring comes without the fuse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My buddy and I put more effort into this tonight and found out that the issue was not the wiring harness after all, although we did end up modifying it because we want to run a 6 pin from the camper to the Jeep.

Although the way its wired looks wrong, it acts like a cross over cable in a way and ended up working no issues once we figured out the problem.

My issue was my F150. Although it has the trailer towing package and 4 and 7 pin connectors, there wasn't 12 V on the 7 pin connector like I thought yesterday. My Digital Multi-Meter wasn't working correctly and it showed me something inaccurate which led me to believe the pin had power.

Today when I had hours to work with the whole setup and a better set of tools like jumpers, etc., I found that the pins on the 7 pin connector on the Jeep matched the truck and if I turned the parking lights on on the truck and used these as the 12V with long lead wires, everything worked as expected.

So I dug out the manual for the truck and found that there was a relay in slot 9 and 30A fuse in slot 21 that controlled the 12V on pin 4 on the 7 way connector. I opened the hood and looked, no fuse or relay installed. So, I pulled the 30A fuse for the power passenger seat I don't have and a relay for the rear defroster I don't have and put them in slots 9 and 21 respectively.

Then I restarted the truck and everything worked like a charm.

Word to the wise, even if you have trailer towing on your truck and or camper, it doesn't mean you have the 12V on pin 4. A lot of times, they leave those fuses and relays in spare spots for whatever reason. On a RV, you most likely won't have 12V on pin 4 unless you run it yourself.

Also, just so everyone knows, the instructions for the harness installation are horrible and don't mention anything about having 12V on pin 4 of the 7 pin.

Its best to get your manual out and confirm everything before you start and spend hours frustrated like I did.

I hope this helps my fellow Jeepers.
My F150 Came with a separate package (came with the truck along with the manual) for towing that had a fuse and relay in it. Not sure why Ford just doesn't install the fuse and relay at the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts