Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a hitch on the JK. Dealer quoted $150 for hitch and $150 for harness....... WTF! I went to Morris 4x4 and ordered their kit (hitch and harness) for $99. Super easy install about 45 minutes max.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Just installed smittybilt's hitch reciever. It was like $55 from 4wd.com. It is class 2 rated at 2,000lbs. I got it mostly to run a hitch mounted cargo basket though since my 2 door lacks any kind of cargo room.

-Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the hitch alone was around $69. But a benjamin beat the crap out of 3 bills.

-Dave

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Heh Heh-JKUs got lotta cargo space !

Just installed smittybilt's hitch reciever. It was like $55 from 4wd.com. It is class 2 rated at 2,000lbs. I got it mostly to run a hitch mounted cargo basket though since my 2 door lacks any kind of cargo room.

-Dan
:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
206 Posts
I installed my Rugged Ridge hitch and wiring harness this past weekend. Even with my 5 year old "helping" it only took a half hour. Clearance is really tight to get the nuts started but once you figure that out it's golden. I used one of those telescoping magnets that look like a retactable pointer. Worked great to hold it in place to get the bolts started.
$88 shipped from Amazon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just installed the Reese 51077 from Amazon. $90 and it's class III. I was about to order the Rugged Ridge one when I noticed its only rated to 2000 lbs. this Reese one is solid and sticks out a bit which should help my 1upUSA bike rack fit better when I get it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
JK-Uknowit said:
I installed my Rugged Ridge hitch and wiring harness this past weekend. Even with my 5 year old "helping" it only took a half hour. Clearance is really tight to get the nuts started but once you figure that out it's golden. I used one of those telescoping magnets that look like a retactable pointer. Worked great to hold it in place to get the bolts started.
$88 shipped from Amazon.
Several other brands come with the nuts welded on making the install much easier.

·
Registered
392 Posts
$88 shipped from Amazon.

Good idea, I used electrical tape to hold the washers in place and then long needle nose to hold the nuts until they started.

O.P.- Don't feel bad, my dealer wanted $725 for a hitch and slush mats. Yours doesn't sound so bad by comparison.:eek:

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Use Crazy glue on the nuts. Nascar mechanics glue the nuts on the wheels so they don't have to fumble for them when changing tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered one for my '13 JK today.... quadratec.com .....79 dollars, comes with wiring harness and JEEP logo cap for receiver hole when not in use....plus free shipping...

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I bought one from a club member for $50, a week later 4 wheel parts shows up at our meeting and gives away 3 of em...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently installed the RR hitch. Removed the bumper in like 5 minutes with only four bolts, two on each side. Same for putting it back on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also put the RR hitch on from Amazon. Piece of cake! I removed the rear bumper cover to make it easy, though. Wiring the light was easy too!

Found some mud down through the tail light hole in the body!

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
You guys removing the bumper for clearance are doing it the hard way. Just slip the rubber hanger off the muffler and you will have plenty of room.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just removed the cover for easy access to the nuts for the hitch. Plus, it was good practice, AND I got to see how many freaking bolts are holding the rear tow hook in place! It's a Lot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts