Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I've got no dog in this fight. I like both versions. I bought the 2 door because I already own a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland and didn't need another big 4x4.

My buddy picked up his 2014 JKU Sahara last week and I own the same car in 2 door. Both are well loaded, though I drove both with only the soft tops. We took turns on the GCP here in Queens and here are the results:

Speed - Make no mistake, the 2 door is quicker. I did not check the weight difference, but the smaller version always feels almost too fast for its chassis. The JKU is not slow, just not able to match the nimble hop off the line as well. At speed things are closer, but from 50 mph the 2 door retains a significant edge in being able to accelerate. No hard numbers here; just side-by-side driving. Winner = 2 door!

Handling - Now once again the 2 door was always more nimble, but there are other factors. At times the JKU feels more stable and offers a superior ride with less front-rear hop. Neither of these is for canyon carving, but if pressed, the 2 door is better. So far as off road goes? My friend claims the 2 door is the master but also adds that the 4 door is a lot less taxing over moderate terrain over extended periods. After driving both I preferred the feedback of the 2 door, but it's not a big difference. At times the 2 door will hit a bad spot in the road that can really ruffle the composure of the chassis while the JKU handles it better. Winner = tie!

Comfort - While this really relates to the size of your family, the longer chassis is a bit kinder on the highway as stated above. Winner = JKU

MPG - 1.5 MPG better for the 2 door. Winner = 2 door

Practicality - Hey, sorry but the 2 door is NOT very practical. Go to Shoprite and it's like sitting in the grocery cart and trying to pull in the groceries in after you! The 2 door does not carry much at all. It's fine for a small family like mine, but I could not own it without a larger car in the fleet. The JKU solves these issues and then some! It can carry stuff and is much nicer for the rear passengers to deal with. I know some older folks who would NEVER be able to get into the back seat of my 2 door. Winner = JKU

Appearance - They both look like Jeeps! I love the way a naked JKU looks and the 2 door looks like a beast of a different sort when it's fitted out. I'm 51, so I'm more accustomed to the 2 door look. Winner = Tie

The winner is...

US! You can have your cake and eat it too with these brutes. I think a one car family will be far better served by the JKU in the long run. The 2 door is less of a practical car and more of a giant ATV in some respects...and that's a good thing.

Cheers...

Robert

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Guys who drive 2-doors are sissies, and rarely get hot women who want to bear children.

Okay, maybe that's painting with a broad brush...drive a Wrangler, it's all good. :drinks:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys who drive 2-doors are sissies, and rarely get hot women who want to bear children.

Okay, maybe that's painting with a broad brush...drive a Wrangler, it's all good. :drinks:

I agree....which is why I got the two door AFTER I married my hot wife!

:happyyes:

Robert

·
Retired Moderator
100,670 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Okay...I've got no dog in this fight. I like both versions. I bought the 2 door because I already own a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland and didn't need another big 4x4.

My buddy picked up his 2014 JKU Sahara last week and I own the same car in 2 door. Both are well loaded, though I drove both with only the soft tops. We took turns on the GCP here in Queens and here are the results:

Speed - Make no mistake, the 2 door is quicker. I did not check the weight difference, but the smaller version always feels almost too fast for its chassis. The JKU is not slow, just not able to match the nimble hop off the line as well. At speed things are closer, but from 50 mph the 2 door retains a significant edge in being able to accelerate. No hard numbers here; just side-by-side driving. Winner = 2 door!

Handling - Now once again the 2 door was always more nimble, but there are other factors. At times the JKU feels more stable and offers a superior ride with less front-rear hop. Neither of these is for canyon carving, but if pressed, the 2 door is better. So far as off road goes? My friend claims the 2 door is the master but also adds that the 4 door is a lot less taxing over moderate terrain over extended periods. After driving both I preferred the feedback of the 2 door, but it's not a big difference. At times the 2 door will hit a bad spot in the road that can really ruffle the composure of the chassis while the JKU handles it better. Winner = tie!

Comfort - While this really relates to the size of your family, the longer chassis is a bit kinder on the highway as stated above. Winner = JKU

MPG - 1.5 MPG better for the 2 door. Winner = 2 door

Practicality - Hey, sorry but the 2 door is NOT very practical. Go to Shoprite and it's like sitting in the grocery cart and trying to pull in the groceries in after you! The 2 door does not carry much at all. It's fine for a small family like mine, but I could not own it without a larger car in the fleet. The JKU solves these issues and then some! It can carry stuff and is much nicer for the rear passengers to deal with. I know some older folks who would NEVER be able to get into the back seat of my 2 door. Winner = JKU

Appearance - They both look like Jeeps! I love the way a naked JKU looks and the 2 door looks like a beast of a different sort when it's fitted out. I'm 51, so I'm more accustomed to the 2 door look. Winner = Tie

The winner is...

US! You can have your cake and eat it too with these brutes. I think a one car family will be far better served by the JKU in the long run. The 2 door is less of a practical car and more of a giant ATV in some respects...and that's a good thing.

Cheers...

Robert
i agree with all of this... Two doors are definitly more better (ya I said that :) ) off road ...as far as room goes I have a Cherokee also and once you have the room you really miss it when it aint there thus me going for the unlimited. either way you can go wrong
Cameron
on edit: I mean to write Cant go wrong...i am old :(

·
Registered
355 Posts
I grabbed a bag of popcorn, turned off the TV and settled in for some fireworks....only to be pleasantly surprised by your enthusiastic, unbiased and well-written comparison! Haha, gotta say I enjoyed reading that. Not sure where it's going to lead, but I enjoyed it...

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
My honey has a JKU (that I work on...allot) however this fall I intend to get my JK R and start to work on it. If the JK is so much more "nimble than the JKU it must be really incredible, because the crap we drove around in at Superlift with hers was some very tight switchbacks on very steep inclines. I really cant wait...That is a good thing!

·
Registered
347 Posts

lol children aren't allowed in my jeep regardless if its 2 or 4 thats what a mini van is for my friend

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The JK is definitely far more nimble feeling- that short wheelbase is crazy nimble. That is the one thing I miss about my JKR (I traded for a JKUR). Maybe someday I will buy a low-mileage TJ.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I have a hard time fighting off the four grand kids as well, they love wheelin especially with the top back and windows out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I must say that I've had both and I like the 2 dr better. I love the room in the jku but its a real pain taking off and storing all the doors. I now have a 13 JKR and this Jeep will be around for a long time, i love it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've lusted after the 2-doors--but at the end of the day--the Unlimited made the most sense for me. As a college student far from home with little storage room, I wheel my Jeep around like a gypsy wagon: it's usually stuffed full of shit. It's nice being able to take a couple of friends with me to the training areas with rucks, FLKs, and camping equipment for some exercise and fresh air away from Mount Doom (aka West Point).

·
Registered
747 Posts
2dr vs 4dr has been beat to death :)

IMHO it depends on what point you are at in your life.. kids vs. no kids is the main question.

I've had several 2dr Jeeps and 2 JKUR and I loved them all and all were practical for me at the time of ownership.

I must say though.. My '14 JKUR on 35s is by far my favorite of the 5 that I have owned with Jeep #1 ('85 CJ7) in a very close second place. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"definitly more better (ya I said that)" NorDakata eh?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not one of each?

07 JK
14 JKUR

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I said to myself not to post in this thread but like another poster said, I was pleasantly surprised at the comments. So, here's my story if anyone cares. I bought a 2013JK (2dr). I'm married with a kid. I thought it was going to be ok until I figured out I was an idiot. Yup, an idiot. Literally 7 months after owning the JK, I upgraded to a 2014JKUR. I went from a basic 2dr sport to my 14drRubi. It fits my needs well and allows room for the kiddo and his friends plus the wife is happier. It all depends on where your at in your life. For me, 4dr FTW!

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.