Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2008 wrangler unlimited 4dr. It has 6" lift with 38x15.50x20 toyo mts. When it is off the steering wheel has lots of play in it from left to right. When turning it with the jeep off nothing underneath seems loose. The jeep has factory control arms and they are maxed out audjustment wise. When driving down the road the jeep is all over the road. You constantly have to keep a hsnd on the wheel to keep it straight. Would adjustable lower control arms fix this problem. Thanks for any advise! :atomic:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

It would normally be a very good start but the factory control arms are not adjustable so it sounds like you already have aftermarket arms. Besides it may need more than that depending on what is already installed. Those tires are not going to be very friendly with any issue you already have. They will help magnify the issue. A good detailed inspection of every single joint on your Jeep would be a good idea. If any of them are bad, they will get worse and possibly cause damage to other parts. The factory control arms are not adjustable so it sounds like you already have aftermarket arms.

Some pictures of the suspension and steering would be helpful if you don't know what parts are installed. A Caster Angle reading would also help.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Very curious to see where this post goes. Thats a heckuva lotta lift and tires, and with a 3.8. What kind of backspace would be needed to run something that wide and not tear up the frame and suspension? And couldnt the sheer size of the tires have something to do with the issues as well?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,165 Posts
What about when you turn the wheel with the front suspension up off the ground (unloaded) ? Everything is still tight / or loose?

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
Very curious to see where this post goes. Thats a heckuva lotta lift and tires, and with a 3.8. What kind of backspace would be needed to run something that wide and not tear up the frame and suspension? And couldnt the sheer size of the tires have something to do with the issues as well?
Agree, 6" and 15.5 wide 38's on a 3.8... This has to be a massive rig and if it still has stock control arms, I suspect it needs a lot to get it right.

OP, can you get us a couple of pictures of your Jeep and suspension?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,554 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum...:wavey:

WOW, 6" lift and 38's.
You need to start out with alignment numbers, (as other has suggested). Caster and toe-in will be interesting to see.
With them massive tires, the Ball Joints are probably worn out, and there goes your Camber.

And with 15.5" of rubber on the ground. That has to have done a number on your steering components!!!!!!!

It also would be interesting to know, (different subject), what gear ratio you are running. 3.8 engine, along with the heavier 4 door and 38's......:eek:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
curious what your alignment numbers are... Specifically caster.
You said the factory control arms are maxed out adjustment wise .. As said factory arms are not adjustable.
To help understand what you have, take some pics around the jeeps suspension.
Do you still have the factory front axle housing ?
If this indeed has factory CA's and the OP just means they are pushing the limits geometry-wise, the caster is probably horribly out of spec. Explains the wandering feeling. The loose steering is probably somewhat normal and made worse by the big tires.

yes please show some pics.
Wandering and loose steering or not, why haven't you posted pictures? I want to see this beast. :D

Honestly, a few pictures of the suspension, drive lines, etc. would help a lot. I'm kind of afraid you got a mall crawler special lift there with plenty of height but no real fixes for the problems that can cause. I hope not and it's built right and just needs a little tweaking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do they sell 6 inch non long arm kits? What company sells a 6 inch lift with no new control arms?? 3.8 and 38's what gearing and what engine mods have been done if any? Stock axles? this thing could be a ticking time bomb i will be watching this thread.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Speaking of buying coils alone, swapping in some 3.5 inch coils wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't cure the issues but it would help minimize them. 38's might rub a bit off road but the Jeep would probably handle a lot better.

You're right about the pinion being more important but I doubt a PO that installed 6 inch coils without arms cared much about pinion or caster angle to begin with. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Speaking of buying coils alone, swapping in some 3.5 inch coils wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't cure the issues but it would help minimize them. 38's might rub a bit off road but the Jeep would probably handle a lot better. You're right about the pinion being more important but I doubt a PO that installed 6 inch coils without arms cared much about pinion or caster angle to begin with :rolleyes:
After the fact ... Reason for such threads :D

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
OP is MIA... we may have been trolled. :zap:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts