Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Here is a manual regarding Jeep Wrangler (JK) water leaks. The diagnostic information is accurate, but the part #'s may not be valid for all model years

http://wkjeeps.com/misc/Wrangler/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

I posted this manual in a few threads but thought it might be easier to find for those interested if it had it's own thread, hope it helps out...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Hmm. Trying to understand why this is not already in our sticky area... Done.

I took these 3 screen shots explaining how to fix the most common leak area. My passenger side leaks in the same area very bad. Seats, carpet, dash, ME. The water bounces off the door latch and soaks everything, I've already mentioned adjusting the door but haven't tried it yet. I do own a 07 so the seals could be worn as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My JK is at the shop for the 2nd time keep getting water on my driver side floor, 1st time they put a new rubber around the door. Now they are telling me they cant find a leak...told them to keep looking its there...any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
Grabbed that PDF for future reference...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My JK is at the shop for the 2nd time keep getting water on my driver side floor, 1st time they put a new rubber around the door. Now they are telling me they cant find a leak...told them to keep looking its there...any suggestions??
I am having the same issue on my 2014 JKU. Any ideas?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I do have some experience with the elusive "under door leak" that seems to leak from under the floor mats. The week before I picked up my 2014 JK it had rained heavily for a week. sure enough, the driver's side floor was wet under the floor mat. Passenger side was completely dry. Now, i ordered my Jeep from the factory, so it wasn't like I could just pick another one off of the lot.
Having gone through this experience on my 2012 without satisfactory resolution, I was concerned. But, I also know the passenger side leak could have many causes, hence the "elusive" part. Driver's side seems to have a straight forward, easier resolution from what I've read over the past two years on these forum pages.

So, those of you with DRIVER'S side leaks, I recommend that you try this. I read about it on the forum and it has worked to COMPLETELY resolve my leak: Door Entry guards. But, you have to install them as illustrated in the picture below:

image-161477170.jpg

The trick is to install the entry guards over the front seam. Try it and let me know. Mine is completely bone dry now, even after heavy rain.

BTW some dealers will try to tell you that the entry guards caused your leak, but mine was leaking before guards were ever put on! Good luck!

Reactions: sewellbill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I have a 2014 they had to replace the door gasket header gasket and the gasket on the driver side freedom top no leaks and it has been raining it's as off here in louisiana.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was bone dry (07) until I cleaned the plastic and rubber in and on my ride. Then we had a gully washer... got in a day later and noticed that water was ON my floor mat... mercy! I'll try the remedies mentioned here and get back with results. In the mean time... caution on what you clean the gaskets with it seems... I used a spray on over the counter cleaner. Wondering if it didn't mix well with the Bestop roof... made it shine though!
jd

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 2014 JKU on valentines it was actually leaking on the driver side was coming from the top. The dealership replaced the door, Header, and the freedom top gasket and now it doesn't leak a drop.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That manual is great. Left mine outside with the soft top on during an all night rainstorm this weekend and I think I might have several of these leaks. Both front seats, and all the carpets were soaked. Puddles under all the seats and all floorboards. The corners of the soft top had leaked from time to time in the past, but nothing like this. I do take my doors off a lot, so they may need to be adjusted.

I've also seen people refer to some kind of conditioner you can use on the a-pillar foam gaskets to restore them somewhat. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with those products? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Question: does front and rear water spray work. There is only one water tank for Jeeps, so the water line for the rear runs thru the Fire Wall, down past the Driver Kick Panel to the rear of Jeep. And there is a disconnect that can come loose at the kick panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My problem is with the front passenger side. After any noticeable rain there could be as much as an inch of standing water. It has been to the jeep dealer twice and is going back again today. So far they have replaced the seal, which I assume is the seal where the soft top attaches to the windshield. The water leak diagnosis and repair manual referred to in #1 suggests that the source of the leak might not have anything to do with the seals around the door and windshield, but instead the source of the leak could be either the Rear Wheel Flare Holes or the Cowl Side Panel, particularly since it doesn't appear as if water is coming down the front slope of the passenger side floor.

Any thoughts anyone might have that I could share with the service tech would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
OBruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
My problem is with the front passenger side. After any noticeable rain there could be as much as an inch of standing water. It has been to the jeep dealer twice and is going back again today. So far they have replaced the seal, which I assume is the seal where the soft top attaches to the windshield. The water leak diagnosis and repair manual referred to in #1 suggests that the source of the leak might not have anything to do with the seals around the door and windshield, but instead the source of the leak could be either the Rear Wheel Flare Holes or the Cowl Side Panel, particularly since it doesn't appear as if water is coming down the front slope of the passenger side floor.

Any thoughts anyone might have that I could share with the service tech would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
OBruce
I have the same leak as you. Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow for the 3rd time to repair the same leak. I'll keep you posted what they find.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Doesn't rain much where I live, but this issue really bothers me. My Hard Rock will be here soon and I will be spending a lot of money to buy my first Wrangler, it doesn't please me to know there are leak issues with this line of vehicles. I don't understand why after many years of production and apparently leaking, it can't finally be fixed from the factory. This seems insane to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know how you feel. My Wrangler is still leaking after 4 visits to the dealer. They have replaced seals and the gaskets around the doors. What concerns me is that it doesn't appear to me, at least, that they have spent any time looking at the repair manual even though we have brought it to their attention several times. It is back in the shop again and this time it has the attention of the dealership's owner. If it still leaks after this trip I am planning to change out the soft top and put the hard top back on. Will try to keep the forum posted on how I make out.

Regards,
Bruce

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same leak as you. Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow for the 3rd time to repair the same leak. I'll keep you posted what they find.
Sounds like I'm in a similar same boat. I left my new 2014 JK out in the driveway last night for its first sustained rain exposure. When I went to check this morning, I found about a 1/4 cup of water pooled on the passenger slush mat. I could not get a sense of where the flow came in. None of the carpet in the area (or in the back) felt wet, and the plastic and metal had plenty of time to dry off. The JK is still outside and it's a wet day, so I'll check again later.

On the plus side, the MOPAR slush mats did their job!

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
An update to my leaking Wrangler. I went and paid about $45 for the seal kit (mentioned above) from the dealer. Reg auto shops had nothing to use. No instructions and weird looking shape on several. But I cleaned off the piece that had "rolled up" some on the leading edge of the driver's door.
I cut ( with a knife) the patch that had some foam look to it.
The leak slowed down a lot yet still leaked.
I then looked at where I thought water was passing at the harder foam next to area I had already addressed. A straight piece this time. In three weeks no leakage!
That second piece of foam was difficult to get the paper tape off to apply. But I did get to a piece that the paper came off quickly and clean. I just applied the new over the area of the larger foam piece.
I carry the rest of the small kit in the glove box. It came with a small baggy to keep the extras secure.
After seeing how much others here have spent on the sealing from dealerships, I'd suggest to everyone to get the kit and try it yourself. It is not complicated and will save a lot of time, frustration and money to try this yourselves. Good luck and stay dry.
jdh

1 - 20 of 394 Posts