Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Let me start by saying I'm not at all familiar with the technical aspects of a Jeep (or any vehicle for that matter), so please assume I know nothing when it comes to tire/wheel sizes, lifts, etc (I will not be offended).

I've had my Jeep for about a year and a half now, but haven't been able to drive her since June due to moving out of the country for work. I'll be returning in December and want to buy a nice reunion/Christmas gift for my Jeep in a lift and tire/wheels. However, I have no clue exactly what I want to do and could use some advice.

I have a 2011 Jeep Sport which I use as a DD with occassional off roading. I don't want to go too big (I'd say 34/35s are max size).

Can anyone give me some advice on lifts and tire/wheels? I'm looking at a budget of around $3,000-$4,000, and am willing to spend a little extra on better brands if it's worth the cost.

Also, any advice on getting the lift installed?

Thanks for your help,
Ekia

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depending on what kind of off roading you plan on, you may be able to get by with 33" tires and a 2" to 2.5" lift kit. This size of kit can be done with a budget boost (BB) which is a simple spacer kit or with spring and shock replacement kit. My personal preference is the spring/shock kit as you can get a more comprehensive system than a simple spacer system. This will get you enough capability for mild to moderate wheeling with pretty much no sacrifice as a DD. This is what I would do based on the occasional off roading aspect and it still looks pretty good.

If you want to go up to the bigger look of 35" tires there may be some other costs incurred. You would definitely need a 3" to 3.5" lift to prvide room for the tires. From a driveability aspect you may find some aspects that you don't like, larger size = more weight and the larger rolling diameter affects actual speed (can be adjusted for relatively easily) and can have a significant affect on the seat of the pants feel (slower take off or having to give it more throttle to achieve the same acceleration feel as you know it in stock form). 35" tires also exert more leverge at the ends of the axles. There have been some cases where the front axle tubes bent on the JK's when 35" tires are installed (some discussion links below). This can be addressed with the use of gusset and sleeve kit. Not saying this to turn you away from bigger tires just so that you know to ask some questions.

With either size tire, you will more than likely need wheel spacers to keep the tires from rubbing at full turn lock and when the suspension is flexing off road.

Definitely recommend finding a good 4x shop when you get home and asking them tons of questions as they should have enough knowledge to steer you in the right direction for what you want to do in your area.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/unadulterated-truth-w-35s-182644.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bent-axles-178242.html

Almost forgot, I've run the Old Man Emu 2.5" kit with 33" tires and am currently running AEV's Dual Sport 4.5" kit with 37" tires. Both were on the same Jeep and and I have had no issues with either one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information, this is very helpful. For the wheel spacers, do I need to buy those seperately or do they come with the lift kit?

Thanks,
Ekia

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wheel spacers are seperate items. They are generally sold in pairs so you would need to buy two kits. Do not skimp on these, since they will be holding your wheels on.

Pretty much in the same spot as you. Been away for almost 2 years now and only get to drive my Jeep for about 5 weeks each year. Trying to slow down on the "reunion" gifts though. Don't plan on heading home any time soon though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can run 35s on a 2.5" lift with a little pinch seam trimming and you are fine. For you, 2.5" lift is plenty and you can do 33s or 35s. If you go any taller on the lift you will be spending more money for after market parts like drive shafts and such.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh and also as long as you have a wheel with proper back spacing, 4.5 or less, you will NOT need wheel spacers. Most ppl usually try to avoid using them since its just another unnecessary part that can fail.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you planning to add any significant weight to the Jeep in the way of bumpers, winch, etc.?

If so I would recommend a spring/shock lift instead of a budget boost or spacers. Otherwise you may get some spring sag, especially in the front end. Most 2.5" spring kits use a heavier spring in the front to offset the factory rake and help avoid sag in the case of heavier weight on the front end.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
I agree, if our looking to do a lift, I would skip the spacer lifts. You gain nothing but height from them. With a coil lift, you gain height and performance. Also, you can pair that with a nice shock and get a nice ride.

For the wheels and tires, As long as you have a wheel with a 4.5" BS or less, you dont need wheel spacers. It all depends on your setup though.

With a budget of 3-4K, we can get you setup with wheels, tires, and lift that will offer you a "better than stock" ride and will also allow you to handle just about anything offroad! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime. We would be more than happy to see what we can do and get you setup.

-Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts