Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the threads here and on other forums relating to using a JK wrap-around windjammer on a JKU. I believe some have made it work and that is is very tight with the seats up. What I've not been able to find or picture in my mind is how does the top secure at the top? I picked up used on in great shape for a steal and it came with the sound bar piece too. I understand how that piece is intended to work, but not sure if the JKU guys have used it on the rear cross piece of the JKU.

I also have a JK tonneau cover that I'm considering cutting down to size to fit over the rear seat area and connect to my GPCA cover. Mainly for basic coverage not to be water proof.

I have a trip coming up in late July where I'll run stage-coach exclusively and I'm hoping I can leverage this windjammer if it rains. My initial thoughts are to just use it behind the front seats and leverage Velcro to secure the sides since my B pillar does not work with the wrap around. My pack and tent will be in the rear passenger area with the seats folded down, along with my cooler. My off-road gear will be in the rear where it usually is. I planning to use the area from the front seats back like a truck bed .

Any pics showing how you use a JK wrap-around windjammer on your JKU are welcome along with tips and tricks. Right now I'm working off-site and do not have access to my tools, sewing machine in this case to get all this to work.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I tried it. There is no way I could figure, without going to upholstery shop for some sewing, to mate the windjammer to my JKU tonneau cover.
Also the fit it super tight and I was worried about breaking the rear surrounds.
I returned it.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was so cheap, like $25 cheap. i figure i can sell it for that. i’m definitely outside the box on this one. when i get back from the beach i’ll play with some configurations to see how it goes. i did read the thread you posted on. had this not been so cheap i would have passed.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If I had some sewing skills I would have done it. I would have added material to each side to let it fit with the seats up.
The worst is that Bestop doesn’t use the same lead edge in the 2 door tonneau as the 4 door. Therefore the windjammer doesn’t mate up. I think if that part would have worked I would have kept trying.

Reactions: jeep63

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I miss read. I thought since you got a JK windjammer you had a JK, but on re reading the thread, I see you have a JKU. There is about 2' difference in what your trying.
2 feet seems off to me.... I'll find out next week. I know I'm outside the box here, but I've seen people do it and my seats will be down. It is for a trip only and will likely be sold afterwards unless I actually end up liking it for the beach.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this is the windjammer I have... BesTop JK Wraparound windjammer

It is designed for the JK and uses the front JK door surrounds to create seal so to speak.

I've seen some utilize this on a JKU via the rear door surrounds. It is not the exact size and I believe requires the fabric to really stretch; if you're running the rear seat recline blocks I believe it is nigh impossible to keep the seats up.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I test fit the windjammer using the BesTop sound bar piece that secures it to the top. It all fits with the exception of the extended 'wrap around' pieces since there are no surrounds for my front doors. My plan has always been to use this for the front seats and figure out how best to secure the sides. My plan is to fold the rear seats down and modify the JK tonneau cover to work as a cover for that area. None of this is intended to be waterproof. just a simple cover in the event of a storm during an upcoming trip.

I have some playing around to do, but I think I can make this work. My thinking is run stage coach, and user the back of the Jeep as storage.It would be reasonably weatherproof in the front once I figure out the sides and the back just has to provide a bit of shelter. For $35.00 invested thus far, I think it is worth a try.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I test fit the windjammer using the BesTop sound bar piece that secures it to the top. It all fits with the exception of the extended 'wrap around' pieces since there are no surrounds for my front doors. My plan has always been to use this for the front seats and figure out how best to secure the sides. My plan is to fold the rear seats down and modify the JK tonneau cover to work as a cover for that area. None of this is intended to be waterproof. just a simple cover in the event of a storm during an upcoming trip.

I have some playing around to do, but I think I can make this work. My thinking is run stage coach, and user the back of the Jeep as storage.It would be reasonably weatherproof in the front once I figure out the sides and the back just has to provide a bit of shelter. For $35.00 invested thus far, I think it is worth a try.

View attachment 4443113 View attachment 4443114
Bestop makes an extension to lengthen their tonneau to reach to front seats. I have one. Maybe get one of those and add it to your tonneau putting your tonneau in its intended location.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bestop makes an extension to lengthen their tonneau to reach to front seats. I have one. Maybe get one of those and add it to your tonneau putting your tonneau in its intended location.
Thanks for the tip, I was not aware Bestop offers an extension.

I do not have a jku tonneau though, I have a gpca cover in the rear. The tonneau is for a jk, part of the deal I found on market place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts