Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride this past weekend and everything was fine. I go to start it the next day and nada, zip, zero, zilch. I turn the ket to start and it does nothing. I checked the battery, good, checked the fuse, good, replaced the starter, good. I then decided to check the Hypertech computer and it showed an issue, now I'm getting somewhere... I was told to update the Hypertech computer and everything will be good... Nope, still nothing.

At this point I have no idea and I'm not under warrantee any more.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
669 Posts
start by changing the battery.. at least take it in to be checked out.
it really sounds like a battery..

if it turns over then a different issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
x2 on the battery. Take the battery to your local autozone or equal and have the battery put on a load test its free. Until you do that you are chasing your tail. 12 + volts tells you nothing. We have seen this many times on here so do your research and get the battery tested.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
start by changing the battery.. at least take it in to be checked out.
it really sounds like a battery..

if it turns over then a different issue.
I have a large on board air system ant it runs fine. We also hooked it up to another vehicle and nothing different.

One thing I should add (I should have been clearer), when I go to start it I get all the dash lights (like normal). So when I go to start everything on the Jeep is as normal, with the exception being that the engine does nothing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2 on the battery. Take the battery to your local autozone or equal and have the battery put on a load test its free. Until you do that you are chasing your tail. 12 + volts tells you nothing. We have seen this many times on here so do your research and get the battery tested.
Your right, you guys have probably seen it all, and I came to you for help. I will take the battery to Autozone and have it checked

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your right, you guys have probably seen it all, and I came to you for help. I will take the battery to Autozone and have it checked

Awhile back there was a guy on here who was told by over 20 people to have the battery checked and he swore up and down he had it jumped, charged it overnight, and had it tested. After all his denying and looking elsewhere guess what. It was the battery!!!!!!!!!

At least he came back on here and admitted to it. Start there and keep us updated.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a large on board air system ant it runs fine. We also hooked it up to another vehicle and nothing different.

One thing I should add (I should have been clearer), when I go to start it I get all the dash lights (like normal). So when I go to start everything on the Jeep is as normal, with the exception being that the engine does nothing.

if the battery checks out.. and it well could then go towards the starter relay,

can you jump across the starter solenoid and get the motor to turn over?

that would eliminate the starter, which i think you said you changed so that should be eliminated but always better to make sure..

if the relay proves good,, then start backwards on the start system.. hopefully simple..

·
Registered
322 Posts
You aren't getting any noises from the starter? My guess is you jolted something loose as it relates to the starter while you were wheelin. That would make sense because your Jeep would run fine until you turned it off and tried to start it again. I'd start by checking there. Don't get zapped.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What comes on when you turn the key?

When you try to start do you get a click or any crank whatsoever?

Take above advice of trying to jump the starter but do a thorough check or all wires including grounds.

Make sure all grounds are connected and tight.

Do you have a remote start?

Give us as many details as you can.

·
Registered
669 Posts
when you turn the key to start your dash lights should go out and you should hear an audible click sound. that would be the starter solenoid trying to kick in..

starter relay next

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chips like the Hypertech (you didn't specify a model) can often fry the on board computers. No personal experience with a Jeep but I've seen it in plenty of other cars.

What "issue" did the Hypertech show?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

if the battery checks out.. and it well could then go towards the starter relay,

can you jump across the starter solenoid and get the motor to turn over?

that would eliminate the starter, which i think you said you changed so that should be eliminated but always better to make sure..

if the relay proves good,, then start backwards on the start system.. hopefully simple..

BINGO

After all of this the problem ended up being a $20 relay, a relay that, I might add, the worthless manual barely mentions.

Thanks for everyone's help, without you all I'd still be scratching my head.

·
Registered
548 Posts
BINGO

After all of this the problem ended up being a $20 relay, a relay that, I might add, the worthless manual barely mentions.

Awesome, I am glad it works!

Where is this relay located or can you share the part number? Just filing away in my brain for the future!

·
Registered
669 Posts
BINGO

Glad it worked and glad it was inexpensive.. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I see these "jeep does nothing" threads all the time.

Seems a lot of people jump to suspect ignition switch and computer problems without going through basic process of elimination trouble shooting.

Unless I am missing something, the battery and starter on a JK are not much different than they have been on cars for decades. -

A simple manual jump from the battery to the starter can quickly narrow the problem areas down to battery, starter, ground/wiring or relay issues.

My kids YJ "did nothing" a while back. It was recently new to us and I was short on time (mid week) so I threw a battery at it, then a starter at it - no go. Once the weekend came around I had time to trouble shoot and found it to simply be a loose engine block ground. Changed the battery and starter for nothing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts