Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my second clutch slave cylinder yesterday. The jeep sat outside for two weeks while I waited to install the cylinder. After I installed the slave cylinder I went to start the jeep and all I get is a single click. Have tried all the following with no luck.

Charged the battery overnight.
Tried jumping connecting to the battery.
Tried jumping connecting just the positive and negative battery cables.

Tried the alternate key unlock.
Tried starting in 4 low to bypass the clutch lockout.
Tried pulling the starter relay out for 30 seconds.
Banged on the starter with a hammer.

I'm certain the battery is good and it's not the clutch lockout. Anything else to try before I go buy a starter? It's a 2013 JKUR.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
got a volt meter? if you do, it should read 12.7V if its good. anything below, get a new battery

Have you tried jump starting it? Get a couple of buddies to push with the clutch in, dump the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear and it should start.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got a volt meter? if you do, it should read 12.7V if its good. anything below, get a new battery

Have you tried jump starting it? Get a couple of buddies to push with the clutch in, dump the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear and it should start.
Ya. Forgot. Checked with a volt meter too. Battery is good. Everything is pointing to a starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the same issue. Went through all the checks that you did. Apparently, my anti-theft system was not recognizing the key and translated that into an attempted theft; so it did exactly what it is supposed to do...shut down the engine. Had it towed to a dealership and turns out it is a software glitch. They reprogrammed the computer and all is good once again; took them all of 5 minutes to do. The dealership said this wasn't an isolated thing and that it has happened to other Chryslers, but is not a safety concern so there is no recall. I wrote to Jeep's emergency assistance service and they refunded the cost of the towing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently had the same issue. Went through all the checks that you did. Apparently, my anti-theft system was not recognizing the key and translated that into an attempted theft; so it did exactly what it is supposed to do...shut down the engine. Had it towed to a dealership and turns out it is a software glitch. They reprogrammed the computer and all is good once again; took them all of 5 minutes to do. The dealership said this wasn't an isolated thing and that it has happened to other Chryslers, but is not a safety concern so there is no recall. I wrote to Jeep's emergency assistance service and they refunded the cost of the towing.
Hmmm. Anti theft went off when I tried the other key. Still broke. Tried a multimeter and still no problem found.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to think it is the keys. Using both keys manually to unlock the car sets of the alarm.

Anyone have any ideas I can try before having Jeep haul it away?

·
Registered
1 Posts
starting

I have a different starting problem.
starts then dies 3 to 5 times then starts and goes.
does it once a day. code says something about key also.
reprogram computer for this also?
both keys do same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm starting to think it is the keys. Using both keys manually to unlock the car sets of the alarm. Anyone have any ideas I can try before having Jeep haul it away?
Maybe replace the batteries in the keys.

Maybe the TIPM(fuse box) is acting up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was having the same problem...took it to the dealer and after the "Swami" went through the switch etc...Blah Blad ..."codes" etc...they replaced the key switch.....now it sitting in my garage , and want start for nothing...got some one coming over in the AM to check it out...looks like a tow job to me...Click click click click....only one click at a time....but that's how many times a tried to turn the key to start....stay tuned!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same issue with my 99 Cobra. The problem was the clutch position sensor. If you disconnected the clutch cable you make have this issue. Basically if the clutch cable is too tight the sensor is in a lockout mode causing the jeep not to turn over. Give it a try.
Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
After a battle with Jeep, I found out that the modular has to be replaced (1085.00).....calling Chrysler tomorrow about the problem...if I can't get satisfaction, I will sport this on all internet webs that have anything to do with Jeep!:atomic:

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a battle with Jeep, I found out that the modular has to be replaced (1085.00).....calling Chrysler tomorrow about the problem...if I can't get satisfaction, I will sport this on all internet webs that have anything to do with Jeep!:atomic:
Whoa! That's crazy. I hope they help you out!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If your Jeep is not under warranty why are you expecting them to pay and threatening them if they don't?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your Jeep is not under warranty why are you expecting them to pay and threatening them if they don't?
Do you work for Jeep?....point,is to fix a relay,you shouldn't have to buy a complete module! ,also the dealer replaced the key switch @ a cost of 270.00 and refuse to credit me after they found out the real reason it want start....How about that apple?..this my familes 5th Jeep in 8 years....so,why shouldn't complain...and it only has 13,000 miles...no one asked if iwanted a warranty extension,only took my money...especially if the electrics were a problem....should I not cry? Well, I am!
:atomic:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Do you work for Jeep?....point,is to fix a relay,you shouldn't have to buy a complete module! ,also the dealer replaced the key switch @ a cost of 270.00 and refuse to credit me after they found out the real reason it want start....How about that apple?..this my familes 5th Jeep in 8 years....so,why shouldn't complain...and it only has 13,000 miles...no one asked if iwanted a warranty extension,only took my money...especially if the electrics were a problem....should I not cry? Well, I am!
:atomic:
woe is me :bop:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to thinking its the starter. Alarm going off when manually unlocking after locking with the remote is normal.

Battery is good, voltage to starter is good. Just here one click from the starter, then nothing.

What kills me is all the diag codes for stuff that don't keep me from driving the vehicle, but nothing when it's broke.

I'm slowly starting to hate my jeep. It's spent the last two winters parked waiting for whether to warm up so I could fix it. Jeep refuses warranty work because I took it off roading.

And now a blizzard and no 4x4. Ugh!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Back to thinking its the starter. Alarm going off when manually unlocking after locking with the remote is normal.

Battery is good, voltage to starter is good. Just here one click from the starter, then nothing.

What kills me is all the diag codes for stuff that don't keep me from driving the vehicle, but nothing when it's broke.

I'm slowly starting to hate my jeep. It's spent the last two winters parked waiting for whether to warm up so I could fix it. Jeep refuses warranty work because I took it off roading.

And now a blizzard and no 4x4. Ugh!
I bet you have the same problem as me....its the starter relay module,that only Jeep can install and read the codes..get ready to pay big bucks to keep it running....call Chrysler like I did and bitch about it...:atomic:

·
Registered
139 Posts
TIPM module replacement solved the problem....1150.00 out the door...thats your fix....Jeep needs a recall,my JK only had 13,000 miles! Raise hell with Chrysler ...Phone number:1 800 763 8422 ask for help!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts