Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Finally had the Wrangler delivered today, purchased from an auction in USA, with me being located in London, UK. There are no keys coming with the Jeep. I've been to the local dealers, they say they can only get the blank keys, but they're not able to cut them based on the VIN or anything similar.

Any of the Jeep dealers here on the forum is able and willing to help me cutting 1 or 2 keys?

I've also tried to locate the first owner, a guy called "J Smith" based in Elgin, OK, but it seems his house phone number has been disconnected, anyone in here knows the guy, perhaps he still has one of the keys?

Any other ideas is more than welcome!

Many thanks for your help!

A.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
This is going to be difficult, being international. The auction house owes you the keys or at least a remedy to get them made. You might need to get a lawyer involved.

·
Super Moderator
21,962 Posts
I would say without the key code you are not going to have an easy time. If you are not getting keys I would worry what else is going to be amiss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all the codes, I just need a dealer to cut the key for me as I don't have the original to copy. The auction said no keys, so I knew that was going to be a bit difficult, I don't mind, where there is a will, there is a way :)

I obviously have all the paperwork, title, everything else to prove is my car, including the invoice from the auction house etc. I just need a dealer guy to help me :)

·
Super Moderator
21,962 Posts
I wonder even if you get one cut will it work with security system? Any locksmith should be able to cut the keys with the code. Google a locksmith and ask.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will lock and unlock the doors, at the moment the car has to stay unlocked as I don't have key to lock it. To start the car I need to program the key, which I can do here in UK. It's just having the key cut according to the VIN and codes.

·
Super Moderator
21,962 Posts
Again any decent locksmith can cut the keys via the key code. You can order blanks via eBay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I expect J Smith was unable to make his loan payments and the Wrangler was repossessed by the bank. No chance of getting him to cooperate with producing keys. His phone is probably disconnected for the same reason, delinquent on payments.

Good luck, I hope you got a great price and I hope you can get some keys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Matt,

I've managed to find the key patter through InstaCodes, so I just need to wait for the blank key to turn up so I can have it cut.

I'll keep you guys updated here, in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I have a friend who had his key die. He called me as I used to own the Ram 2500 and he used to borrow it. So, he had a key and I had a key. When he bought the truck he told me to hang onto the spare in case he needed rescuing. Unfortunately when that happened he was 2+ hours away and I had a meeting I was obligated to. When he called me he pointed out the truck would start but after a few seconds it would die and the key fob would not lock or unlock the truck. His dad came by and picked up the spare and later that night he and I talked and the spare worked.

He went to a local locksmith and had a second key made. I then went and got a spare for my TJ. The locksmith has a programmer that plugs into the OBDII port and allows him to program the key to the Sentry Lock Module. He did cut the key using an original rather than the key code. I had to produce two pieces of documentation, my Drivers License and the vehicle registration.

The sad part is that the thieves already have a way around this. I am surprised the repo people didn't get a key made. I am almost sure there was a key made somewhere for the transport of the vehicle, or else the getting it on and off the boat would have be a real PITA to get in and out of the container.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The front propshaft has been disconnected and the steering rod too, so easier to move the front wheels by hand to change the direction, the steering wheel is locked.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Modern Jeeps don't have steering wheel lock. None of the ones listed in my siggy have (or have had) a steering wheel lock. The last Wrangler to have had steering wheel lock wold have been the '95 YJ.

Now power steering on dry ground without the engine running may seem to be locked, but it should not be. It just takes the proverbial 800 pound gorilla to turn the wheel.

Have you talked to a Jeep dealer about replacing the four cylinders with new keys? I realize it's is harder to get the cylinder out if you don't have the key. Of course you also have to change your headlights if your in the UK now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Modern Jeeps don't have steering wheel lock. None of the ones listed in my siggy have (or have had) a steering wheel lock. The last Wrangler to have had steering wheel lock wold have been the '95 YJ.

Now power steering on dry ground without the engine running may seem to be locked, but it should not be. It just takes the proverbial 800 pound gorilla to turn the wheel.

Have you talked to a Jeep dealer about replacing the four cylinders with new keys? I realize it's is harder to get the cylinder out if you don't have the key. Of course you also have to change your headlights if your in the UK now.
The steering wheel is locked, 100% :)

Just waiting for the blank key to arrive and should be able to cut the key using the code and pattern I have now.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The steering wheel is locked, 100% :)
For North American Wranglers, there is no steering wheel lock.

But locking steering could be a requirement for all vehicles sold in the U.K. in which case it would be fitted in vehicles for export.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
But this was a JK produced for U.S. market and sold in the U.S. market. Then it was apparently repo'ed and the bank sent it to the auctions house who sold it to OP who is in the U.K.

At this point OP has been unable to start or drive it for it seems no one has the keys. How would they have fit a steering wheel lock for export when they didn't have the keys? Most of the required modifications (bumpers, lights, etc) to clear the UK MOT (Ministry of Transportation) inspection are added in the U.K.

I hope for the OP's sake the Jeep was not sabotaged by the previous owner. It has been know to happen on vehicles about to be repo'ed.

·
Super Moderator
21,962 Posts
the op never said it was an OEM steering wheel lock. for all we know it is an aftermarket device. Also just because a vehicle is sold via auction does not mean it has been repoed. for all we know it was a dealer vehicle that sat on the lot for too long. Could be many reasons why the keys did not make it on the journey across the pond.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve disconnected the steering at the steering arm and I cannot spin the steering wheel more than a few degrees each way, steering wheel is definitely locked, like any of the cars we have in UK. Once I get the key I’ll be able to update you on this.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Your problem is going to be programming the keys and Jeep. As far as I know as a locksmith, the programmer needs the Jeep to reprogram the onboard computer by wiping out the old codes and the computer has to "Learn" the new codes placed in the chips by the programming machine.
Key codes are just the mechanical cuts on the blade of the key.

European car/lock market is way more advanced than the American market. If you have the locked steering I bet this is a European market with high security locks.

Sir you are really in a pickle to my knowledge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts