Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's, rear seat will fold down but not up.Anyone know about the cables that allow it to do that? Is it an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I'm on my phone. If you do a search on the forum you'll find a few posts showing how to fix this.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
In summary its usually a cable that has come loose. The cable pulls the hooks on the bottom when you tilt the back forward allowing the seat to tumble.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
There aren't any "cables". Check the positioning of your front seats. If they are too far back, or leaning all the way back "ghetto" style, they could be blocking the rear seat from folding up.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Did I misremember other posts? I thought there was a mechanism that disengaged the lower hooks when you fold the back of the seat down.

Sorry if I gave out bad info.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
You're right there must be some type of cable connected to the release lever, but he is able to release that since he can fold it down. I was only thinking of the flip up part, which doesn't require any further release of anything.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I'd have to go out and look but I'm betting the that the hooks that hold the rear down are designed to "unhook" only when you fold the seat down, thus keeping the seat locked and secure when it's upright.

My guess is that whatever causes the hooks to retract isn't working when the seat back is tilted forward. However, that's just a theory at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Ok, I had to go look at mine out of curiousity.

In the upright position the hook on the bottom are engaged and I obviously can't lift up the rear of the seat. I pulled the latch and started slowly folding the seatback forward, all the while lifting up on the rear of the seat.

When the seat back was almost folder all the way down, I could feel the hooks on the bottom slide open and the seat began to tumble.

OP: Dumb question, but are you pushing the seat back all the way down before you try to tumble the seat? Maybe you didn't fold it enough for the hooks to release on the bottom? Just throwing out anything I can thing off.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
The rear hooks release when you pull the cable, allowing the seat to be folded down, then flipped up. The seat will not remain in the folded down postion unless something is put on it to weigh it down. Many people complain that their folded seat won't stay down. This is the first I heard of one that wouldn't flip up. That's why I suspect the front seat(s) is blocking it. The front hooks remain connected until you lift the spring loaded lever to release and remove the seat.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
We were both just out in the garage folding our rear seats! :facepalm: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Reread my post. The rear hooks do NOT release when you pull the cable/switch/whatever-its-called at the top of the seat back. They only release when the seat back is folded almost all the way forward.

We may be saying the same thing. if so, apologies. Only on my first cup of coffee and it was a long night. :)

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
We were both just out in the garage folding our rear seats! :facepalm: :rofl:

LOL....ok, we're on the same page. Ignore my last post. (glad I didn't call you any names.) :flowers:

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
I agree with what you wrote concerning the release point. He can fold the seat all the way down so it is possible there is an issue at that point. If the cable is broken, I doubt he would have gotten to that point. There could be somthing blocking that from happening however. Maybe some junk in the trunk. I keep a towel in the back and sometimes that shifts making the seat not lock back down unless I move it when I return the seat to the upright position.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
LOL....ok, we're on the same page. Ignore my last post. (glad I didn't call you any names.) :flowers:
We are, and names don't bother me. My kids would come to me and say someone called them (insert name here). I would them ask if they were a (insert name here). They would obviously say no and I would say, "Then don't worry about it." By the same token, if it's true, then once again you shouldn't be concerned,

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I agree with what you wrote concerning the release point. He can fold the seat all the way down so it is possible there is an issue at that point. If the cable is broken, I doubt he would have gotten to that point. There could be somthing blocking that from happening however. Maybe some junk in the trunk. I keep a towel in the back and sometimes that shifts making the seat not lock back down unless I move it when I return the seat to the upright position.
I think we both read his post a different way. I read "it'll fold down but not up" as meaning "it'll fold down but not tumble".

He could mean, as you've pointed out, that he can't get the seat locked down and in the upright position. I've had that happen on mine a few time, found that giving it a good "slam" down solved the prob as my quadratec floor mat in the rear sometimes gets in the way a little.

Either way, I think between the 2 of us, we've covered both scenarios.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
We read it the same way. I also have the Quadratec mat requiring the firm lockdown. It will be interesting if he comes back with a resolution because some people want the seat to stay in the folded position.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
We read it the same way. I also have the Quadratec mat requiring the firm lockdown. It will be interesting if he comes back with a resolution because some people want the seat to stay in the folded position.
I've never really thought about that. I do know that I don't like how it can move around if you stomp the gas when it's tumbled.

It would be nice if you could fold the seat back down and then either keep it locked to the floor, or keep it locked up when tumbled.

I know this could all be handled w/ straps, but would be nice if it was built that way.

I'm just waiting for the required post from someone on a thread like this stating "why don't you just take you seat out? That's what I did." LOL

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
I would love to take my back seat out. Maybe in another year when my daughter graduates HS. Right now I'm always transporting someone to or from basketball practice.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I would love to take my back seat out. Maybe in another year when my daughter graduates HS. Right now I'm always transporting someone to or from basketball practice.
I may remove mine at some point but for now I like having it in the event that I'm driving down the road and come across a bikini team w/ a broke-down bus. :)

But seriously, it feels weird not having a backseat. I'll just tumble it for now when needed and only plan to remove if/when I need the room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts