Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got quotes from a nearby off-road shop for a 2.5" lift:

JKS w/ Fox Adventure Shocks, quick disconnects, adjustable lower control arms, adjustable track bar. $2650

TF w/ 9550 Shocks, quick disconnects, adjustable lower control arms, adjustable track bar. $2500

And before anyone says, "Do it yourself!" Keep in mind I don't have, or have access to, the tools and am disabled.

Both have basically the same components, main difference is shocks and coils. So which should I go with and why?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Both are good kits. What adj, control arms on the TF?

·
Registered
123 Posts
TF has 2 kinds of Control Arms. I would only go with the Alpine ones. Better Ride on the Highway and less maintenance. Just my personal opinion. Both are good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TF has 2 kinds of Control Arms. I would only go with the Alpine ones. Better Ride on the Highway and less maintenance. Just my personal opinion. Both are good.
Just says TF lower adjustable control arms $335 part/labor... 🤔

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
I like the TF stuff, but just for the shocks in those 2 kits I would do the JKS kit. The TF 9550's are not a popular shock...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the TF stuff, but just for the shocks in those 2 kits I would do the JKS kit. The TF 9550's are not a popular shock...
What if I could get them to put the Fox shocks w/ the TF lift?

I wanted the Rancho 9000 w/ the TF lift but they "poo-poo'd" on them saying they didn't/wouldn't use them because of people coming back with seal issues.

Unfortunately I only have the choice of shops in a two hour range of my house, and the other shop aggravated me when they kept saying, "We normally don't do that with a 2.5" lift" when I said I wanted lower control arms, track bar, etc. 😣

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
What if I could get them to put the Fox shocks w/ the TF lift?

I wanted the Rancho 9000 w/ the TF lift but they "poo-poo'd" on them saying they didn't/wouldn't use them because of people coming back with seal issues.

Unfortunately I only have the choice of shops in a two hour range of my house, and the other shop aggravated me when they kept saying, "We normally don't do that with a 2.5" lift" when I said I wanted lower control arms, track bar, etc. 😣

That's funny... The shock that had seal issues for a while was the Bilstein's. But yes, that would make all the difference in my opinion. The TF with Fox would be a "go".

Front: #98224921
Rear: #98224951

Unless you are asking for something like a drag link flip on a 2.5 that shouldn't be done, why wouldn't a shop put on a track bar or front lowers if you ask?? That's absurd, you're legitimately saying, take my money and they are saying no. How do these people keep their doors open?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with either. I like the 9550 shocks, got 4 years on mine and no rust or leaks. It's a great ride. Flat in the corners and not mushy. Feels good in the dirt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny... The shock that had seal issues for a while was the Bilstein's. But yes, that would make all the difference in my opinion. The TF with Fox would be a "go".

Front: #98224921
Rear: #98224951

Unless you are asking for something like a drag link flip on a 2.5 that shouldn't be done, why wouldn't a shop put on a track bar or front lowers if you ask?? That's absurd, you're legitimately saying, take my money and they are saying no. How do these people keep their doors open?
Are those the part numbers for the Fox shocks?

They (the shop that didn't normally do xyz) apparently prefer Rough Country and do the quick turnaround 'Mall Crawlers' / for looks only builds. $899 and out the door in half a day. 😟

Needless to say I'll stick with the other shop and specify either Fox or Rancho 9000s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a thought,

Why not go for TF new mono tube shocks? 530 bucks for 4 about the same as Fox.
Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with either. I like the 9550 shocks, got 4 years on mine and no rust or leaks. It's a great ride. Flat in the corners and not mushy. Feels good in the dirt.
Certainly, many people have had good luck with the 9550's. I personally didn't care for the ride quality compared to the Rancho's, it was a noticeable difference.

Are those the part numbers for the Fox shocks?

They (the shop that didn't normally do xyz) apparently prefer Rough Country and do the quick turnaround 'Mall Crawlers' / for looks only builds. $899 and out the door in half a day. 😟

Needless to say I'll stick with the other shop and specify either Fox or Rancho 9000s.
Yes, that's the numbers for the correct Fox shocks.

As above, TF has their brand new S/T2 kit that looks like a huge winner to me. It's got front and rear speed bumps, front lowers, exhaust spacers and the new Falcon 2.1 shocks.

See what they can do for you on that. 4dr kit # 1312021 2dr kit # 1212021

:beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Certainly, many people have had good luck with the 9550's. I personally didn't care for the ride quality compared to the Rancho's, it was a noticeable difference.

As above, TF has their brand new S/T2 kit that looks like a huge winner to me. It's got front and rear speed bumps, front lowers, exhaust spacers and the new Falcon 2.1 shocks.

Shocks can be such a subjective subject. For me looking to just do a 2 1/2 lift and throw some tires and wheels on it, the Teraflex shocks were great. A lot of it comes down to how much does the Jeep weigh? What springs does it have? How much articulation are you looking for. Certainly there are better choices depending on a persons situation.

If you look just at reviews for the 9550 they are positive for the most part. Probably not from extreme wheelers though. I always felt with shocks you get what you pay for. Looking on Quadratec there are shocks in the $35 range, $45 range and up to the TF at $65, then it seems to jump past $100 to $150.

One thing I found out years ago was the most expensive shock isn't always the best choice. For me the 9550's were a big improvement over stock. If I have them go out, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another 9550.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm running the TF kit with the 9550 shocks for over a year now,I really like how they perform together, shocks and springs,particularly with the extra weight of steel bumpers front and back and a winch up front,and the extra weight of aftermarket wheels and tires.

The handling is nimble, tight and crisp,hardly any body roll cornering,or brake dive,on road,and they perform very well off road for my particular off road situations......forestry trails-roads,logging roads,and winter back roads-winter wheeling.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So called them this AM to see what a quote with Fox shocks instead would run me.

Also expect a quote today for the S/T2 kit! :bop:

They also gave me a quote for re-gear and Nitto Ridge Grapplers....
:censored: me! I'm gonna be broke!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Just got off the phone with them. Said they had to call TF to get pricing and such. Was told it would be 4 weeks +/- on these to be configured out the door. He was able to give me a quote of $2984 installed once the 4dr kit # 1312021 are available.

The TF w/ Fox shocks came in at $2619, so right at the JKS kit install of $2650 ish. I confirmed it was the "Monster" track bar in this quote, but it was NOT the Alpine LCAs, as someone here recommended. He said the ones he quoted where a bit more but had Johnny-Joints....

Then I had to ask about Nitto Ridge Grapplers... I'm gonna be broke if I don't stop! $1700+/- for five 295/70r17s mounted and balanced! Hmmmm

Which brought me to re-gearing ... $1900 :doh: Imma gonna have to slow my roll I think. :whacky:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts