Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally got the discos in the mail so im getting ready to put them on, probably this weekend. I read the instructions, seems pretty simple excepy for the greasing part... Ive never messed with mechanical parts so im confused on what and why i grease up. I dont have a grease gun, dont even know what it is. When i instal them do i just grease the bolts and pull pins? Do i need to do it right when i put them on or can it wait until i find a place by me that sells it? Thanks for any help, im still new to this and i want to learn how to work on my own jeep, not some mechanic guy, it gives me more pride in my Jeep.

·
Registered
736 Posts
pick up a grease gun at home depot/lowes or any similar store. Not greasing them up will cause some un necessary wear. Good project to start with.. and you'll love the time saved before the trail.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Hey guys, finally got the discos in the mail so im getting ready to put them on, probably this weekend. I read the instructions, seems pretty simple excepy for the greasing part... Ive never messed with mechanical parts so im confused on what and why i grease up. I dont have a grease gun, dont even know what it is. When i instal them do i just grease the bolts and pull pins? Do i need to do it right when i put them on or can it wait until i find a place by me that sells it? Thanks for any help, im still new to this and i want to learn how to work on my own jeep, not some mechanic guy, it gives me more pride in my Jeep.
Grease provides a layer of lubricant between metal parts much like the oil in your engine. Except the grease is very thick to help it stay in place.
Invest in a grease gun at an autoparts store, Walmart, etc. I look for a grease that contains molybdenum (moly). Makes the grease extra slippery.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense. I snooped online for grease guns and they range from 30$ to 200$. Do you use grease for other applications on a Jeep or should i just get the cheap one since this is the only item i will be greasing up, and where exactly do i grease? I always thought that grease was the stuff in the Pringles can that is left over on your fingers that you can use for squeky door hinges.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can pick up a grease gun localy for $10 or so. You dont need anything fancy but make sure to get one with the rubber/flexible hose, not the ridgid metal one.

On the fittings there should be what's called a "zerk" fitting. It will look like a little domb with a dot on the top that gets screwed into the fittings. That is where the hose of the grease gun will pop onto and as you pump the handle it will inject grease into the fitting.

There are many other places on a vehicle that need to be greased. Almost all joints in the steering system will need grease, U-joints on the drive shafts typicaly need grease (not sure if Jeep uses non-greasable joints...havent looked yet). Almost anything that moves under your Jeep will need lubrication of some sort. The grease guns are simple tools so no need realy to go all out on them. I got mine from Tractor Supply for $10 or so some 10 years ago and it's still working just fine.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GunToter said:
You can pick up a grease gun localy for $10 or so. You dont need anything fancy but make sure to get one with the rubber/flexible hose, not the ridgid metal one.

On the fittings there should be what's called a "zerk" fitting. It will look like a little domb with a dot on the top that gets screwed into the fittings. That is where the hose of the grease gun will pop onto and as you pump the handle it will inject grease into the fitting.

There are many other places on a vehicle that need to be greased. Almost all joints in the steering system will need grease, U-joints on the drive shafts typicaly need grease (not sure if Jeep uses non-greasable joints...havent looked yet). Almost anything that moves under your Jeep will need lubrication of some sort. The grease guns are simple tools so no need realy to go all out on them. I got mine from Tractor Supply for $10 or so some 10 years ago and it's still working just fine.
Wow, thanks, thats a perfect explanation. Im surprized i havent been told by any one before about using grease guns, you grease everything that moves under your jeep? Anything i should avoid spraying like rubber? How do i know if something is ungreaseable? Sorry for the newb questions, your info was very helpful.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, not EVERYTING. But basicaly slide under your Jeep and look at the steering linkages and drivetrain. You'll see where things connect (such as the swaybar end links your installing). If it has that little dome (zerk fitting) on them then it's something you can grease. You typicaly dont need to grease stuff under there too often, I usualy do it every other oil change which is a little overkill, but whatever.

The end of the grease gun will have a metal fitting. That fitting pops onto the zerk fitting. You may need to hold it on there with a little preassure while your pumping the handle so the grease goes in....but it doesnt "spray" around like WD-40 or anything. If you get some on anything it wont hurt it, there's nothing down there a little grease will hurt.

This is my first Jeep and i've only had it a couple weeks so I havent spent too much time exploring underneath yet. I cant say for sure exactly what will need greasing and what wont. I wonder if there's someplace that lists the greasing points of a JK? The user manuals of all the heavy equipment I've ever used would map out each greas point so I've been kinda spoiled.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here's a couple pictures I googled.

This is the kind of thing your looking for to grease

That dome thing on top is the zerk fitting.

Here is the type of grease gun I like. It can be pumped with one hand so the other can hold the hose if needed. The rubber hose allows you to get into tighter places....not every zerk fitting is the easiest to get to

By the way, this was my 101st post.....SCREAMIN EAGLES!!

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
jkmohican - there are virtually no grease fittings (zerks) on your Jeep from the factory.
But if you change suspension and steering items, the aftermarket parts will often have the zerks so you can lube them. Your quick disconnects are one example.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, i fully understand. Im going to pick up a gun today and hopefully be on the instal this weekend (+/-1hour job?) ill put up some pics when im done if anyone would like to see.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
When you go to add grease, make sure you push the hose on all the way. You should feel it click into place. If you don't, you'll probably just push grease out around the fitting rather than pushing it in where it needs to go.

Also, when you first fill the gun, make sure you pump it until grease shows up at the end of the hose. You don't want to pump a bunch of air through whatever you're trying to add grease to.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
derf said:
When you go to add grease, make sure you push the hose on all the way. You should feel it click into place. If you don't, you'll probably just push grease out around the fitting rather than pushing it in where it needs to go.

Also, when you first fill the gun, make sure you pump it until grease shows up at the end of the hose. You don't want to pump a bunch of air through whatever you're trying to add grease to.
Good deal, but when do i know when to stop pumping?

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
when grease comes out of the other end... and when you're re-lubing things... when all the dirty grease has been forced out and you see fresh grease coming back out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a set of these dis-connects to put on my JK as well, glad to know I need to get a grease gun before I dive in.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Two rules of thumb:

1) For items like your disconnects where there are no boots or seals, pump new grease in the zerk until new grease starts coming out the connection. Wipe off the excess grease.

2) For items like ball joints, tie rod ends, etc that have a protective boot on the joint, just pump enough grease until the boot is firm. Too much grease needs a place to escape so it causes the boot to unseal itself.
Then you just provided an opportunity for dirt/water to get inside.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I look for a grease that contains molybdenum (moly). Makes the grease extra slippery.

A note of caution and recommendation. Use the right grease for the correct application. Using a wrong grease can cause excess and premature wear/failure.

Moly greases [and graphite] are referred to as EP greases [Excessive or Extreme Pressure]. They are designed for uses where high levels of pressure loading can cause metal to metal contact and subsequent wear. Normal greases are simply pushed out of the way in these applications.

Molybdenum disulfate [or the graphite equivalent] in EP grease bonds to the metal and prevents metal to metal contact, keeping the parts lubricated.

You can use EP greases in both high physical loading and in normal applications, but you should never use non-EP greases in high physical load applications.

Like SilverSport, I'd just use EP grease on suspension components. If you want to use it for front wheel drive cars or inside synthetic boots, check with the installation instructions first.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2five22 said:
A note of caution and recommendation. Use the right grease for the correct application. Using a wrong grease can cause excess and premature wear/failure.

Moly greases [and graphite] are referred to as EP greases [Excessive or Extreme Pressure]. They are designed for uses where high levels of pressure loading can cause metal to metal contact and subsequent wear. Normal greases are simply pushed out of the way in these applications.

Molybdenum disulfate [or the graphite equivalent] in EP grease bonds to the metal and prevents metal to metal contact, keeping the parts lubricated.

You can use EP greases in both high physical loading and in normal applications, but you should never use non-EP greases in high physical load applications.

Like SilverSport, I'd just use EP grease on suspension components. If you want to use it for front wheel drive cars or inside synthetic boots, check with the installation instructions first.
I will look specificlly for EP, do most stores carry it? And is there a common name? The places around me arent the best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts