Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is it normal that temperature gauge goes over 50% of its scale?

It quiet randomly goes over 50%, stays there for a moment and then drops back to 50%.

I just went to a garage with it. They replaced:
  • coolant cross over gasket
  • water pump gasket
  • water pump
  • coolant
  • front main seal and cover gasket

Alsoduring another visit the thermostat was replaced too.

I picked it up yesterday, it is better but still goes over 50% like on the picture below:
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

Coolant level is fine, i checked it right after. Am I getting paranoid? Or should I drop the car back?

What you do in such situations? I asked them to fix the problem with overheating, spent around 5000AED (1600USD) on it and it still seems to be not resolved.

I will appreciate any help or suggestions :)

Radoslaw

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,400 Posts
There may be air trapped in the system. I'd take that pic back to the garage and ahve them burp the system to rid it of any air. Not uncommon for air to get trapped in the heater core when replacing all of the other bits. Just takes time and patience to clear it all of air.

Reactions: Radek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@USStrongman thank you for your answer. I hope it is just that, and they will correct it without any extra charges. I feel sick about thinking that they needed to replace more parts or that these which had been already replaced were replaced for nothing.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
Did they replace all those parts to fix the issue of the temp going above halfway? Or is the issue of the temp going over halfway now happening after they replaced all those parts? If the former, I would look for a better shop, as they are just throwing parts at it and not figuring out why it has the issue first. If the latter, they may not have properly bled all the air out after changing those parts, it happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they replace all those parts to fix the issue of the temp going above halfway? Or is the issue of the temp going over halfway now happening after they replaced all those parts? If the former, I would look for a better shop, as they are just throwing parts at it and not figuring out why it has the issue first. If the latter, they may not have properly bled all the air out after changing those parts, it happens.
They replaced it to fix the overheating. It was ok for one day (yesterday when i picked it up from the garage). But today it started to go slightly over 50% and now it is reaching up to 75% (just for a moment but still...)

That garage has a good reputation here in Dubai, but now I have mixed feelings about them... I will see how they respond to the problem reocurring.

·
Registered
17,562 Posts
Short of hot is neither abnormal or overheating

Overheating is by definition abnormal hence the prefix over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
Without a good reason ours does not budge past halfway. Going up to 3/4 should not happen unless you are putting it under a pretty serious load, like towing a large trailer over a mountain.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a 2014 as well. Mine is always around 210° (halfway) unless I’m towing up a grade. As long as it doesn’t hit the red, I’m not concerned. Been doing that since it was new. It drops back pretty quickly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Only time mine ever went up was when it was a 3 quarts low on coolant and that was in the Arizona desert.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine goes up above 1/2 (228-230) when I'm accelerating hard after some stop and go (depending on where it is in it's cooling cycle) or on an uphill climb. And it drops extremely quickly once the fan cycle to high speed. It certainly doesn't reach 3/4 on a regular basis though.
The only time I've been to 240F+ was on a long and hard climb (miles long) in 100F+ temp running heavy (carrying a ton of camping equipment and a large rooftop tent.
Keep us in the loop on what you figure out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Here's another anecdotal data point: My neighbor has a 2016 sport. I ran the same route with some hills in his jeep and saw the exact same temp patterns (using torque pro since his sport model doesn't have a evic) however, I didn't see the same needle behavior. Where my needle on my temp gauge comes off center around 226 his didn't move when I saw 230.
So I think there is probably some differences in how sensitive the needles are. At least between my Jeep (more sensitive) and my neighbors.

That said, and I can't tell by the angle of the camera on the pic, if that needle is near 3/4, the only time I've ever seen that is when I was pushing hard and heavy up a hill and when I backed off, temps dropped extremely rapid.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
The Pentastar engine runs hot. As long as you're below 3/4 on the gauge you're fine.

Also, it uses an oil-air intercooler, which tends to bring the coolant temp higher that a motor without that.

Under heavy load (max weight towing, on 90+ degree day in the mountains) I've once reached just over 3/4 which is close to 240F.
Anything below that would not be considered overheating.

If you're still concerned about your engine running hot, purge and refill your coolant; and use an oil that can withstand high temps (i.e. synthetic)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Here's another anecdotal data point: My neighbor has a 2016 sport. I ran the same route with some hills in his jeep and saw the exact same temp patterns (using torque pro since his sport model doesn't have a evic) however, I didn't see the same needle behavior. Where my needle on my temp gauge comes off center around 226 his didn't move when I saw 230.
So I think there is probably some differences in how sensitive the needles are. At least between my Jeep (more sensitive) and my neighbors.

That said, and I can't tell by the angle of the camera on the pic, if that needle is near 3/4, the only time I've ever seen that is when I was pushing hard and heavy up a hill and when I backed off, temps dropped extremely rapid.
I think the needle is damped down.

Just guessing but normal engine temp is anywhere between 203 and around 226 when the fan starts, so logically speaking the needle should point to the normal range (right in the middle) throughout that temperature range so as not to confuse the less mechanically inclined. I would think it starts to move a few degrees over that 226 to begin indicating an abnormal temperature situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will put OBD-II scanner and check the exact readings today. But I can hear the fan being on even though i am driving very gently and it is just ~25*C (77F) these days. It used to be up to 50*C (122F) and I did not notice the needle passing 50% before.

I will drop it back in the garage on Sunday (it is national holiday here), lets see what they say.

Thanks forall the help, I will keep you updated whenever I get any news from the garage.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The Pentastar engine runs hot. As long as you're below 3/4 on the gauge you're fine.

Also, it uses an oil-air intercooler, which tends to bring the coolant temp higher that a motor without that.

Under heavy load (max weight towing, on 90+ degree day in the mountains) I've once reached just over 3/4 which is close to 240F.
Anything below that would not be considered overheating.
I would disagree with that... at least on a technical level anyway.
You may have hit 240 and the jeep does allow for that, but it is most certainly not within operating range, and if you are OVER the normal operating range, then you are technically "overheating". The fan comes on at something like 226 so logically speaking, anything higher than that, give or take a few degrees, is outside the "normal" range. The gauge hitting the 3/4 mark is a stern warning from the jeep that you are now in the "overheat" range and if you don't back off of your own free will... the jeep will soon take control and do it for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m sorry you’re having this problem. Mine started running hot and progressively got worse - 3/4 mark at 75 mph (250* or so on my code reader gadget). At 80 mph, it got even hotter and things like the air conditioner would shut off. Took it to the dealer and they determined the thermostat was faulty. It seems to have fixed it. Fingers crossed

Good luck. I know it’s frustrating and concerning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a 2014 and the typical time in crosses halfway is going up an extended climb or steep slope - usually at highway speeds. Once back to level or downhill, it quickly sinks back to normal. Fwiw.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
517 Posts
Everyone please note that OP is Jeeping in Dubai. Ibet none of you constantly run in that kind of climate.

@cdeslandes pointed out Pentastars run hot. This is correct. One other perk is, that the temp gauge is not dampened, it reads pretty much direct what the temp is. For example VAG cars will park the temp needle straight in the middle, only to make it twitch when all hell breaks loose.

I would not be too worried about this, have the system burped, keep following how it behaves.

Can you get the cabin ventiation to blow hot air (try at night so hot day temp wont mess it up)? If not, you may have an at least partially blocked coolant system.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Everyone please note that OP is Jeeping in Dubai. Ibet none of you constantly run in that kind of climate.
OP mentions CURRENT temperatures:
But I can hear the fan being on even though i am driving very gently and it is just ~25*C (77F) these days. It used to be up to 50*C (122F) and I did not notice the needle passing 50% before.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts