Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a ways out from ordering but I want to make sure I plan accordingly when I order a JKU probably late next year. I've read rumors about what is in store for the JL Wrangler and I have not been too intrigued so I plan on getting a JKU. I have for a long time been interested in a JK unlimited and now with having kids the unlimited seems more practical. We own a 95 YJ that is starting to feel cramped (which I still plan to keep because the YJ is a lot of fun for short trips and local trails and I just like the original wrangler too much).

I've read the JK is going to be produced as late as March 2018, 6 months into the JL production. For those of you that have ordered JKs, when do you think I would have to order and not miss that March 2018 cutoff? I don't know if that means I can order as late as March or if I need to order a certain number of months prior to that March 2018 deadline. I know you can't guarantee anything, but just looking for the best advice?

My other question is whether I should get the JKU sport or JKU Sport S? I plan on getting the Hard Top and 3.73 axle ratio options but I can't decide if the S is worth it for power windows, power locks, ect. I think I would immediately replace the tires with BFG AT 32's if I get the base sport, but might use the tires that come with the S for their lifespan. It seems like a $3,000 difference for the power group and bigger tires/17 inch wheels isn't worth it especially if I'm going to change out the tires pretty quick and probably spend about $800 on better tires. Is there anything that i'm missing that is really worth it in the Sport S?

Thanks for every ones help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, I think the extra 3000 is probably worth it...small bolt in a ship that size. Having the remote locks and power windows are a perk, you may want to add a remote starter down the road, so they go hand in hand. The gearing sounds good, but if you decide to go bigger tire, 410's may be a little easier to turn them with out sacrificing fuel mileage to any great degree....also gives you the option of selling your take offs to off set the price of new rubber. Give it some thought, you only are buying once.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Is there anything that i'm missing that is really worth it in the Sport S?

Thanks for every ones help!
We have manual locks and windows on our 2 door and it's no problem. IMO on the 4 door you'll want power locks/windows. Esp with kids.

AC is another biggie, although I believe it can be added as a stand alone option on the Sport (non-s)

As far as order lead time, who knows what Jeep will ultimately do with the JK once the JL comes out?.?.?.? I wouldn't push it more than 6-8 weeks.

Good luck!! :thumb:

·
Registered
572 Posts
We have manual locks and windows on our 2 door and it's no problem. IMO on the 4 door you'll want power locks/windows. Esp with kids. AC is another biggie, although I believe it can be added as a stand alone option on the Sport (non-s) As far as order lead time, who knows what Jeep will ultimately do with the JK once the JL comes out?.?.?.? I wouldn't push it more than 6-8 weeks. Good luck!! :thumb:
Agreed. I had manual locks and half doors on my TJ and that was fine. With my JKU, and especially now with having a kid, I'd really miss my power windows and locks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, I think the extra 3000 is probably worth it...small bolt in a ship that size. Having the remote locks and power windows are a perk, you may want to add a remote starter down the road, so they go hand in hand. The gearing sounds good, but if you decide to go bigger tire, 410's may be a little easier to turn them with out sacrificing fuel mileage to any great degree....also gives you the option of selling your take offs to off set the price of new rubber. Give it some thought, you only are buying once.
Awesome, thanks for the help. I don't believe the 410's are an option for either the Sport or Sport S, just the 3.73 ratio. I don't plan on lifting the Jeep or getting tires larger than 32's so I think 3.73 should work, but I would consider 410's if they're offered on those two models. We'll see!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I had manual locks and half doors on my TJ and that was fine. With my JKU, and especially now with having a kid, I'd really miss my power windows and locks.
That's an excellent point. I don't think I would mind those things since i'm used to the bare bones YJ, but this JK is going to be more of a family car so the kids and wife will probably appreciate the power group. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have manual locks and windows on our 2 door and it's no problem. IMO on the 4 door you'll want power locks/windows. Esp with kids.

AC is another biggie, although I believe it can be added as a stand alone option on the Sport (non-s)

As far as order lead time, who knows what Jeep will ultimately do with the JK once the JL comes out?.?.?.? I wouldn't push it more than 6-8 weeks.

Good luck!! :thumb:
Good point, you're all convincing me on the power group since it's going to be more of a family car. I does look like Air Conditioning is standard on both the Sport and Sport S, but correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
723 Posts
$3000 is a lot considering those 17" alloys barely fetch $500 with no miles on them. I just skipped it. If you plan on going no bigger than 32s, don't live in the mountains, don't accelerate hard,and don't tow a lot the 3.73s are not worth the money, I much prefer the 3.21s for street and especially highway use. AC comes standard on all Unlimiteds. I don't care for power windows or locks but this is something many people wan't and Jeep is basically charging $3000 for these as the stock 17s are almost worthless. The upside is for $3000 you don't need to buy new wheels and tires right away. On a side note, kids love my manual windows. Most kids have never seen a "Roll Me Up" and get a kick out of it. I don't lower my windows often so it doesn't bug me. The reach to the front window roller handle is closer than the power window buttons would be.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Couldn't Give me a JKU w/o the power windows/locks/etc. that would be a royal PIA.
I'm not lazy by any stretch but ...... I hate unnecessary inconvenience.

2 door JK, I'd probably be 180* opposite on my opinion and !'d have half-doors anyway..

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Good point, you're all convincing me on the power group since it's going to be more of a family car. I does look like Air Conditioning is standard on both the Sport and Sport S, but correct me if i'm wrong.
You're correct, sorry had it confused with the 2 door. :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn't Give me a JKU w/o the power windows/locks/etc. that would be a royal PIA.
I'm not lazy by any stretch but ...... I hate unnecessary inconvenience.

2 door JK, I'd probably be 180* opposite on my opinion and !'d have half-doors anyway..
Agreed, but more so for my family. I know I wouldn't mind the manual window/locks because I did fine in a 91 Cherokee that had such. It just seems like $3000 for bigger wheels and tires and the power group is a bit overpriced. I would think if the difference were $1500 that would make it an easy decision. I think I might leave it up to my wife haha. (That might seem like a definite that we'll get the S, but my wife usually tries to save more if it's a luxury vs necessity)

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Agreed, but more so for my family. I know I wouldn't mind the manual window/locks because I did fine in a 91 Cherokee that had such. It just seems like $3000 for bigger wheels and tires and the power group is a bit overpriced. I would think if the difference were $1500 that would make it an easy decision. I think I might leave it up to my wife haha. (That might seem like a definite that we'll get the S, but my wife usually tries to save more if it's a luxury vs necessity)
I admit too not having looked closely at what exactly is included for the aforementioned $3k.
I suspect there is a tidy list of "nice-to-haves".

Some stuff seems like luxury but is actually very handy not to mention - enhances resale.
That said, IF used as a Family hauler. I am a big fan of power locks AND the supplemental side air-bags. I ADD those to every Jeep.
I wouldn't forgive myself if I could have prevented an injury and didn't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I admit too not having looked closely at what exactly is included for the aforementioned $3k. I suspect there is a tidy list of "nice-to-haves". Some stuff seems like luxury but is actually very handy not to mention - enhances resale. That said, IF used as a Family hauler. I am a big fan of power locks AND the supplemental side air-bags. I ADD those to every Jeep. I wouldn't forgive myself if I could have prevented an injury and didn't.
I definitely agree - the biggest and most important addiction for the package would be side front airbags

Edit: addition, not addiction haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$3000 is a lot considering those 17" alloys barely fetch $500 with no miles on them. I just skipped it. If you plan on going no bigger than 32s, don't live in the mountains, don't accelerate hard,and don't tow a lot the 3.73s are not worth the money, I much prefer the 3.21s for street and especially highway use. AC comes standard on all Unlimiteds. I don't care for power windows or locks but this is something many people wan't and Jeep is basically charging $3000 for these as the stock 17s are almost worthless. The upside is for $3000 you don't need to buy new wheels and tires right away. On a side note, kids love my manual windows. Most kids have never seen a "Roll Me Up" and get a kick out of it. I don't lower my windows often so it doesn't bug me. The reach to the front window roller handle is closer than the power window buttons would be.
I'm a little torn on the 3.73. I take the YJ on trails quite a bit and it has the 4.10s which I appreciate. The trails I go on aren't very difficult, I'd rate them somewhere between 3 - 5 out of 10 and I just avoid anything I don't have the clearance for. I plan to take the JK on similar terrain, just further out in the state/region so I think i'll prefer the 3.73 axles but if anyone with the 3.21 takes on similar trails with no problems please let me know. I think i'll fret more over the axels later on if I think I made the wrong decision vs the power group and wheels/tires that come with the Sport S since I can always upgrade tires pretty easily and stick with the 16 inch wheels (or get new wheels too).

·
Registered
801 Posts
IMHO the power option is worth it especially in a 4 door. I had a 13 JKU without power and it was a PITA having to always tell the kids to lock the doors or always check behind them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I admit too not having looked closely at what exactly is included for the aforementioned $3k.
I suspect there is a tidy list of "nice-to-haves".

Some stuff seems like luxury but is actually very handy not to mention - enhances resale.
That said, IF used as a Family hauler. I am a big fan of power locks AND the supplemental side air-bags. I ADD those to every Jeep.
I wouldn't forgive myself if I could have prevented an injury and didn't.
That really changes it for me, I was unaware they even could come with side airbags. I guess I thought it wouldn't be easy to engineer with the doors being removable, but great to know! NOW the $3000 is making a lot more sense. Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That really changes it for me, I was unaware they even could come with side airbags. I guess I thought it wouldn't be easy to engineer with the doors being removable, but great to know! NOW the $3000 is making a lot more sense. Thanks a ton.
Although, I suspect the side airbags are not a standard feature of the Sport S. Does anyone know how much the option is and does it only come on the Sport S or does it come with the Sport base too? I'm not seeing the side air bags listed on the model compare page under detailed specs. It just lists multi-stage front air bags as standard for both Sport and Sport S and there doesn't seem to be any other mentions of airbags.

·
Registered
191 Posts
JL timing is terribly uncertain. Until FCA is within 6 months of release, there is no telling when they will kill the JK production.

·
Registered
788 Posts
They are $1500 on the 75A. Should be about the same on the S.

I ordered without them thinking they wouldn't be compatible with seat covers. When I found out they made seat covers that were compatible, I emailed my sales manager. He said too late, but they would just sell my already ordered Jeep on their lot and order me another with the supp. airbags.

Agree with RubiconSS...can't put a price on safety imo.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts