Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JKU with 3.73's on 35's. I have lots of armor, steel bumpers, tire carrier, skids and a winch. I am looking to regear to 4.56. can someone please tell me what differences am I going to see with the 4.56's? Wondering if it is worthwhile or not. my 3.73's actually do pretty well now. Not sure if the gains will be significant or not. Please advise.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I went from 3.73 to 4.88 a few months ago..
BIG difference crawling over rocks, especially since I have a manual transmission.
Significant difference going up long, steep hills on the freeway, much better.
Going over 70MPH is a bit of a pain because the engine is screaming at about 3kRPM .. Forget about going much faster.
Shift speeds were all much slower.. 4th felt like 3rd.. 5th felt like 4th, etc..

Going to 4.56 will be slightly less significant than my 4.88s.. If you have an auto transmission that will make it a bit more less significant..
Since you feel that it's doing ok now, I would not spend the money..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went from 3.73 to 4.56 in my 15 JKU with 35's and auto trans. I noticed a change in it, had more torque and would get to speed a lot quicker, I wouldn't say significant, but a change none the less. I have started to add weight to it like bumpers, winch and rails. When I travel I have a rack and box on the back. I run 70 to 75 mph all the time and it works well for me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just got done with my switch from 3.73 to 4.56. It's a significant noticeable difference. I did it because I was changing a bunch of other stuff out anyway, and I did NOT like the on-road ride with 3.73s and 35s, heavy armor, etc.

I went with 4.56 instead of 4.88 or 5.13 because I wanted to keep dana 44 axles and have a bit stronger gears.

If I wasn't concerned about that I DEFINITELY would've gone with 4.88s for 35s or 5.13s for 37s. But I figure that I can upgrade my transfer case to a nice Atlas for off-road gearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went from 3.73 to 4.88 a few months ago..
BIG difference crawling over rocks, especially since I have a manual transmission.
Significant difference going up long, steep hills on the freeway, much better.
Going over 70MPH is a bit of a pain because the engine is screaming at about 3kRPM .. Forget about going much faster.
Shift speeds were all much slower.. 4th felt like 3rd.. 5th felt like 4th, etc..

Going to 4.56 will be slightly less significant than my 4.88s.. If you have an auto transmission that will make it a bit more less significant..
Since you feel that it's doing ok now, I would not spend the money..

Notarubicon, I just read your build story. Loved it. Question on a couple of the items you added. What did you gain by upgrading the transfer case and Advance ADAPTER linkeage kit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts