Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello everyone i orderd a 2014 jku rbi x and was woundering what the absolute must have/do mods/add ons are. Basicaly the Intended use will be my primary vehicle with some weekend off roading and camping trips.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If not heavy offroading- really nothing. Maybe gusset the Cs and get some sliders IF you need a step. Most just do things for a better look but keeping it stock avoids a LOT of hassle and expense...and future headaches.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I love my rubi-x but here are some upgrades worth doing:

• Antenna-X 24” CB Replacement AM/FM Antenna
• Gorilla Black Spline Locking Lug Nut Kit – 23PC
• Angry Off-Road Paracord Headrest & Front Grab Handles
• Synergy Lower Arm Hardware Kit
• Rigid Industries Black Aluminum Hood Latch
• Mopar Hood Lock Kit
• Smittybilt Beaver Step

The rubi-x comes with very good rock rails that you can stand on easily.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well hello everyone i orderd a 2014 jku rbi x and was woundering what the absolute must have/do mods/add ons are. Basicaly the Intended use will be my primary vehicle with some weekend off roading and camping trips.
Nothing. Gas it up and go. The Jeep is the most capable production off-road vehicle you can buy in the US, and you've ordered the most hard core off-roader in the Wrangler line up.

Now, if you want to do mods, go for it. But don't feel you have to install a lift kit or anything else to take it off road.

You will want to add some general safety and recover gear; first aid kit, tow strap, shovel, etc.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Once you get used to the Jeep just the way it is and want more, I would recommend a short lift and bigger tires. That's usually the first mods people do. Do your homework and don't buy cheap stuff. Someone mentioned his Jeep has really good rocker protection because he can stand on them. That's a joke. When you come down on rocks with about 5 thousand pounds of weight and the sliders hold up, that's a good slider. Good sliders are frame mounted. I don't care what people are going to say about body mount. I've seen to many bodies creased right along where the body mount sliders meet the thin sheet metal. Also voids the warrantee on rust protection when you drill holes in the body. I have wheeled for a long time and I like to rock crawl,when I got my JKUR, I went straight for a long arm suspension with fox remote shocks. On my way to get it installed, I saw a Jeep for sale for less then the cost of my long arm kit. I went for quality, not cheap. I live by the Rubicon and have wheeled it many times and have been to Johnson Valley and Moab. I have had my lift kit for over 5 years with no problems. The moral of the story is buy quality. Good luck and enjoy !

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Two simple things that should come standard are entry guards and all weather floormats. Does the X come with floormats?
IIRC, the X comes with front slush mats for a two door and front/back for the four door. They both come with the reversible carpet/rubberized cargo mat, but it's not a slush mat like the floor mats...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had my RubiX for 6 weeks. It's a very capable vehicle right off the lot. Mine is a DD as well. The first updates I did we're Truck-lite head lights and LED tail lights. Then I got the MOD bug! Added the Maximus LP Hoop and now it's going to get the AEV 2.5 lift, wheels and tires this week.

As someone mentioned before... Buy the quality stuff and take your time and do your research. There is a lot of great info on this forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To date the best thing Ive done from a DD perspective is to install the smart door system.

Catback exhaust is probably the 2nd best thing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The only thing that I've done to my JKURX that I feel was a must do is put on the entry guards to keep them from getting scuffed up. The mods I have done to add to capability and looks are:

3" Mopar stage 3 lift
35" tires
18x9 wheels
Teraflex spare hinged carrier, accessory mount, and brake light extension
Warn 9.5 cti winch
Maximus 3 winch plate, hoop, and light brackets
KC Daylighters
Midland 75-822 cb and Firestik antenna

One other thing I had done to mine at the dealership was an environmental package that included undercoating tub and frame, leather seat and interior protection, and a paint sealant. It is said to protect from the elements.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Tires, headlights, and a cb if you're just commuting and camping.
Spend the rest on camping gear, gas, and beer.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
There are no absolutes but the list that Hilldweller provides are good options. You have a Rubi so you don't even need tires.

Regarding off road mods drive it off road for a while and build up your off road skills. You also rapidly see which mods you need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the replies guys. lots of good info :)
im sure early on in its life the mods will come slowly to realy see if they were positive inprovments.

things i want for sure are the locking storage (center console-bear gun) and locking hood latchs the storage deck in the back looks like a maybe. A CB radio is a must aswell i run one on all my rigs:)

Are the head lights a must? led after markets are all around a G is it worth it? how are the factory head lights? i spend the money on the best head lights i can buy, because of the moose we have hear. last year 83 were killed on the main road we live near:(

as far as major mods i have done hours and hours of reading about this jk before i orderd it.. i feel its pritty inpractle but so bad ass.. would like to run 37" like my yj but for a daily driver, im probably going to hold some back and keep it small 2.5-3" of lift with 33"-35" tires non mud tire like a tera grapler or AT of some kind.

may be some day my jk will sit next to my yj as an equal may be..

Attachments

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
The headlights are H13s bulbs, a dual filament design with small/cheap connectors --- worst in breed. The have parabolic reflectors that are among the worst designed and put in modern vehicles. They're fed via a pulsewidth modulated circuit that only gives them a portion of their potential voltage.
It all contributes to an overall poorly performing headlight system.

For AK, I'd look at the Trucklite, Peterson, or JW Speaker ----- I've heard that TL makes a set that are "heated" but I haven't seen them. JWS used to but came out with the Evolution and I haven't seen the heated ones since.
They all need an adapter with a capacitor and resistor wired inline; TL and JWS both sell the necessary plug-n-play hardware.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get it undercoated. Not by the dealer or some high priced company...Trust me. Jeeps start rusting underneath the moment they leave the factory. It may just be surface rust but it looks awful on a vehicle you just paid 40k on. The day my 2014 arrived, I drove it straight home and at 8 am the following morning, I was in a local garage having it undercoated. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. They used spray cans of rubberized undercoating. It took 8 cans at about 10 dollars each and an hour of labor. They coated everything under the Jeep except the exhaust....EVERYTHING. As a result, my 2014 JKUR still looks brand new underneath....through all flat black. It survived its first winter of snow and salt and shows no sign of it. It is rust free.
Want to protect that new investment? Trust me....Undercoating!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get it undercoated. Not by the dealer or some high priced company...Trust me. Jeeps start rusting underneath the moment they leave the factory. It may just be surface rust but it looks awful on a vehicle you just paid 40k on. The day my 2014 arrived, I drove it straight home and at 8 am the following morning, I was in a local garage having it undercoated. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. They used spray cans of rubberized undercoating. It took 8 cans at about 10 dollars each and an hour of labor. They coated everything under the Jeep except the exhaust....EVERYTHING. As a result, my 2014 JKUR still looks brand new underneath....through all flat black. It survived its first winter of snow and salt and shows no sign of it. It is rust free.
Want to protect that new investment? Trust me....Undercoating!!!

i feel this is good advise... sure do like a clean under side mmmmhm.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The headlights are H13s bulbs, a dual filament design with small/cheap connectors --- worst in breed. The have parabolic reflectors that are among the worst designed and put in modern vehicles. They're fed via a pulsewidth modulated circuit that only gives them a portion of their potential voltage.
It all contributes to an overall poorly performing headlight system.

For AK, I'd look at the Trucklite, Peterson, or JW Speaker ----- I've heard that TL makes a set that are "heated" but I haven't seen them. JWS used to but came out with the Evolution and I haven't seen the heated ones since.
They all need an adapter with a capacitor and resistor wired inline; TL and JWS both sell the necessary plug-n-play hardware.
nice thanks man ill look in 2 those:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Basicaly the Intended use will be my primary vehicle ...
For me, these were,
  • Homelink Controller (to open/close the garage)
  • Rear Camera
  • Mopar F&R Splash Guards
  • Mopar Hood Lock
Yea, not the typical mods many here like to do first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts