Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this has some other threads associated with the topic, which I have read. I will use the PB Blaster/Jack/Screwdriver/whatever method of getting the doors off. However, I've come to realize that since I bought my 2013 JKU last October, the previous owner failed to put the bottom Torx bolts back on. So, I need to know where I can get the replacement bolts. I will probably plasti-dip the hinges in the future, as they are starting to look a little crappy anyways.

As I live in Michigan, I'm sure they are full of salt corrosion, any other suggestions to keep them from binding up in the future?

Also, 3/4 doors open and close very easily, but the P/s front door does open and close harder. Any suggestions there?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
OK, I know this has some other threads associated with the topic, which I have read. I will use the PB Blaster/Jack/Screwdriver/whatever method of getting the doors off. However, I've come to realize that since I bought my 2013 JKU last October, the previous owner failed to put the bottom Torx bolts back on. So, I need to know where I can get the replacement bolts. I will probably plasti-dip the hinges in the future, as they are starting to look a little crappy anyways.

As I live in Michigan, I'm sure they are full of salt corrosion, any other suggestions to keep them from binding up in the future?

Also, 3/4 doors open and close very easily, but the P/s front door does open and close harder. Any suggestions there?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_1261.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJ0qbwglaculSBhRq1K8cL0zVdOTJG2ObJpOA9fDa1rhoCg7rw_wcB

https://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_6103.htm

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Just as a warning, I had to ream the hole in my Quadratec delrin bushings ever so slightly to get my doors to open, close, and come off and on easily.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In my experience, my doors were initially very tight almost like normal doors (which was nice) but the more I removed them, the more the loosened up.

The first effort of removing the doors was extremely hard. I spent maybe 30-40 minutes slowly rocking them back and forth and rocking the entire jeep up and down. Eventually they came off. Using tools probably won't help and would run the risk of damaging something.

Some opt for those aftermarket delrin bushings, but the reviews are really poor. Some don't fit and others prevent the doors from coming off at all.

I would just keep the hinges clean the best you can. I almost always have mud or something in the hinges. It's like trying to keep bugs off of the windshield. It just doesn't happen.

Also, when you mention 3/4 close easily but one is harder, what are you looking for here? Do you want the 3 doors to close harder as well or the harder one to be easy like the rest?

I think if you want to loosen them up, just taking the doors off a few times can do that.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
IF someone lives in the rust belt and the doors have not been off exacerbated by missing door pin nuts - simply rocking the doors back and forth ain't gonna do anything other than maybe a low impact arm work-out.

Soaking w/PB Blaster and some "persuasion" will be necessary. That said, Patience and Caution are the words of the day during the process.
Problems arrise when it is rushed and caution is thrown to the wind.
Doors ain't cheap so being careful is key.

Once off. Non-Knockoff Delrin liners work. I have them in 4 Jeeps and never had an issue again taking my doors off.

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
I've now had my Jeep for 3+ years in Michigan as well - and my door nuts (yeah that sounds funny) haven't been put back on since the first day I took my doors off. I have since replaced the stock bushings with the delrin ones but still haven't put the nuts back on and I can pull the doors off with no issues.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I've now had my Jeep for 3+ years in Michigan as well - and my door nuts (yeah that sounds funny) haven't been put back on since the first day I took my doors off. I have since replaced the stock bushings with the delrin ones but still haven't put the nuts back on and I can pull the doors off with no issues.
BooYah!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The way I got my doors off when they were stuck was to use a long punch that was slightly smaller diameter than the door pin. Park on flat, level ground, use a floor jack to jack the punch up into the bottom door pin. Jack it up just enough to put a bit of pressure on the pin, then rock the door back and forth. Once the door starts to rise, give the jack another crank and repeat the rocking back and forth. Once I got mine up about 1/2", they were able to be lifted off.

Be very careful, though, because it's easy to get the door skin wedged against part of the hinge and scrape off the paint and/or bend the door skin. Ask me how I know!

Luckily, I was able to take a block of wood and hammer the bend out, and then got some color matching touchup paint. You can tell I was a moron if you look close enough, but from a couple of feet away, everything looks fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts

maybe a stupid question but... did you check the bolt holder in the back of the jeep just above where the jack is held???

·
Registered
938 Posts
maybe a stupid question but... did you check the bolt holder in the back of the jeep just above where the jack is held???
fwiw, that is where mine have been sitting since the beginning of time...
took them off day 1...
they really don't stop dirt/stuff from getting in there... at least not enough to matter... they seem pointless really...

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
fwiw, that is where mine have been sitting since the beginning of time...
took them off day 1...
they really don't stop dirt/stuff from getting in there... at least not enough to matter... they seem pointless really...
There's a guy looking for a set, know where he can find some ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts