Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Short story. Somebody rear ended my daughter last week at a stop light and they have totaled her car (No injuries!). The little Audi was no match for the F150. So we are talking about a new car and she really wants a JKU. Well, I insist on the U as the longer wheelbase makes it a lot safer in my unprofessional opinion.

So my question is for you who have owned the Jeep for awhile. Is it a reasonable choice for a teenage driver based on safety etc. Any quirks that would make it a poor choice for a young driver?? It's between a Ford Escape and the JKU. She's a very active kid and needs room for gear etc.

There, hope I kept it short enough. Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Interested to see what others say. Ill keep my thoughts to myself until i see others post. Gonna popcorn this one :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
JKUs do not have great crash ratings and they don't handle well. Not a good vehicle for a new driver. i think a JKU is spoiling a teenager, to be honest. Stick to the escape. My brother has one and they are nice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would say that it would be good, But i would recommend getting stronger front bumper and a rear bumper, the stock ones are pretty flimsy & useless. But that little audi kept her safe and that should say something, especially from a f150. Get another Audi, they get amazing crash test ratings from all angles. You can get a nicely equipped A4 for not much more then a JKU

·
Registered
347 Posts
No !
JKU sits high and if you don't know how to corner it's very easy to flip it.
Any Jeep with 4 wheel drive will give young driver false confidence on driving faster on the slippery roads, while they forget that at one point they will have to slow down and brake.
Jeeps brakes are kind of soft, and you better know how to drive with them.
Jeep has funny behavior on windy days, and on the highways side winds from the semi trucks could be potential danger.
Let her drive something else for few more years before you give her a Jeep.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck !

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use my JKU as a daily driver, and even as an experienced driver I have a tough time with the visibilty quite often and have had some close calls that would have been my fault. I would also be concerned about the handling and crash ratings for a kid.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If she is responsible then absolutely! I got my first jeep when I was a teenager and it was great! I was responsible with it tho. I knew it wasn't a race car and like your daughter I had an Audi before it that I sold to pay for the jk so I knew what speed was. I had a blast in the jeep and never even had it close to flipping. I went off road too and that was a lot of fun. What I liked best is that it was a great ski car and super reliable. I've never had a problem with any of my jeeps so they are all around great cars. The 4 doors is safer you are correct. So I would give an absolute yes to getting your daughter a wrangler.

Make sure she likes convertibles tho. I leant my jeep to my sister for 3 weeks when I was away on work. She will never buy a convertible in her life and was so thankful I helped her realize that. They aren't for everyone but I certainly do love mine and will definitely buy another

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
No ones going to know her better than you, so take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

Now having said that..... I'm 24 and since I was 17 I've had the following all brand new off the showroom floor.

2004 Dodge SRT-4
2007 Shelby GT/SC
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2012 JKU Sahara
2012 Jeep patriot (wife's but I bought it so it counts :rofl: )

I've not had a single speeding ticket or accident. I really think it just depends on the kid and how the drive currently. If they're irresponsible now way I'd do it. I was in college before I could even get my license, and I think that made me grow up quick.

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you are concerned for safety, I would rather get in a wreck in a dodge dart than I would a wrangler. There are no crash bars in the doors and if you roll it, you have plastic of fabric above your head. Is she picky? No matter what jeep it is, you will always have wind noise.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
109 Rider said:
No !
JKU sits high and if you don't know how to corner it's very easy to flip it....
Let her drive something else for few more years before you give her a Jeep.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck !
With all of the electronic 3 letter abbreviated systems now they corner pretty well. I have never even had my jk close to being on 2 wheels. I don't drive crazy but I've hit a few surprise corners much faster than I should have.

Plus the brakes are great and she drove an Audi before this and it sounds like she was responsible if dad is even thinking about getting a new car.

Not all new drivers are bad drivers. Even with less experience they can still be just as good

Like Kelsey I'm not old either. I'm 21. I've had:
-93 Cherokee
-VW passat 1.8 turbo(modified)
-Audi a4 1.8turbo(modified)
-2004 Pontiac GTO(400hp)
-08 wrangler 2dr

The best one was the wrangler. Even with the need for speed I had with the 3 fast cars your attitude completely changes when you drive a jeep. And it changes for the better

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I agree with the fact that the 4x4 may give a false since on the road but disagree about the safety issue. The tests are biased to begin with but it is the lack of side air bags that it gets it's poor safety rating.

I have seen JKU's in accidents and they always seem to come out on top especially over small cars. I have seen a JK roll down the side of a steep hill and all the occupants get out with no harm. There is a reason the insurance companies give low rates on a Jeep Wrangler. They also don't have roll over issues like formal models. Of course if you lift it 6" and stick MT's on it, then of course it won't make a great on road vehicle but stock, it is very safe IMO. The solid steel frame that runs down the side and sit rather high does well for side impacts. If the vehicle is big enough to hit the door and not the frame then it would be big engh to go throught window of a cars door. Only concern I would have is peer pressure to take it off road

I would have no problem getting one for my daughter when she gets her first vehicle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What happened to teenagers having a used 10 year old Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra for a first vehicle? Times sure have changed...

Personally, I would not have a fairly new driver with a Jeep. Between the handling and crash test, it's really not great for a rookie driver.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My 2 cents.....I'd say it would be fine as long as you don't lift it. It also depends on the general attitude of the kid.

I'm still a couple of years away from our oldest driving but she is already asking for a Jeep. Specifically my Jeep. I've been telling her it isn't the best option to learn to drive in since I've modded it. I would however buy her a stock Jeep of her own. I know there are easier to drive ("safer") vehicles out there but learning to drive something with a higher center of gravity might develop more better driving habits making them a better driver in the long run. Again, just my opinion.

A buddy of mine (also on this forum) just bought his daughter one. So far she has done great with it.

If nothing major changes in terms of what is out there when mine get there they are either getting Jeeps or Subarus.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow times have changed when I was a teen I had a rusted out 88 3/4 ton chevy pickup. Then a few more beaters until I got a good job and bought an Impala then my Jeep. Guess no one really BOUGHT me stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What happened to teenagers having a used 10 year old Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra for a first vehicle? Times sure have changed...

Personally, I would not have a fairly new driver with a Jeep. Between the handling and crash test, it's really not great for a rookie driver.
exactly. seriously, teenagers should have beaters. a beater nowadays is like an acura RSX for goodness sake. they have it good enough already.

they'll learn to appreciate a good car when THEY can afford to buy one.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
TJGARMA03 said:
Wow times have changed when I was a teen I had a rusted out 88 3/4 ton chevy pickup. Then a few more beaters until I got a good job and bought an Impala then my Jeep. Guess no one really BOUGHT me stuff like that.
I bought everything of mine :) been outta school for 5 years, but I had different priorities. Always had to have a cool car lol.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
No ones going to know her better than you, so take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

Now having said that..... I'm 24 and since I was 17 I've had the following all brand new off the showroom floor.

2004 Dodge SRT-4
2007 Shelby GT/SC
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2012 JKU Sahara
2012 Jeep patriot (wife's but I bought it so it counts :rofl: )

I've not had a single speeding ticket or accident. I really think it just depends on the kid and how the drive currently. If they're irresponsible now way I'd do it. I was in college before I could even get my license, and I think that made me grow up quick.

Good luck.
This. If you think she can handle a Jeep then go for it. My first truck was a '77 4x4 Chevy with a 400, 4" lift and 35s. Some how I survived without it spontaneously rolling over :rolleyes:

On a side note. Are you interested in adopting a 28 year old son? :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Must be something wrong with the JKUs if all the negative press I am reading on here is true. I didn't hesitate to put my kids in a Jeep, after teaching them how to drive that type of a vehicle...it is not a sports car or sport sedan...even if it says sport on the side. With the higher seating and better visibility..IMO a Jeep is about as safe as you can get 'cept for one of those F150s like that hit her..but those tops don't come off and really are not as good off road. But a JK may be a better choice. IMO a Jeep is the perfect vehicle for everyone,............ but I am biased. :D

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
No !
JKU sits high and if you don't know how to corner it's very easy to flip it.
Good luck !
No way would I say a stock JKU sits up high. Higher then a car or crossover yeah, but way lower then most anything else.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a wrangler as my first car at 16, the regular kind with the short wheelbase. A wrangler would be fine for a teenage girl as long as she understands she cant speed, probably wont have anti lock brakes, and yes unless you get a hard top it will be windy noisy and eventually leak. But since you want advice and opinions on a JKU... I wouldnt get anything that LARGE for a teenage girl to drive. Ive seen many many many many many many many teenage girls around here get their licenses and start driving daddies truck... and they ALWAYS back over shit and I dont mean just knocking down the garbage cans... but, I dont know your daughter and I am not that familiar with the way the new JKs and JKUs drive... as for flipping them though, in my opinion she would have to be trying to flip it, ive never even gotten close in mine which is more narrow and short than the new jeeps.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts