Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having alot of electrical problems.
I have a 2007 jku with the 3.8l engine
I replaced the PCM, but was not able to flash it due to it not receiving any power. The dealer said they think it was the fuse box but they wanted to charge me $1600 and I think that was outrageous.
So I had my jeep mechanic friend look at it and he is pretty positive it is the fuse box. We went to the junkyard but could not find anything.
So has anyone gotten a TIPM from Ebay or online? If so do I have to get it programmed or is It basically plug and play?

Our reasoning behind thinking it is the fuse box.
It not cranking, no fuel pump, and one port has lower than normal voltage and i am sure some other stuff is not working. We tested every relay and fuse and the are good. There is no visible damage to the plugs. There is mud drop on the housing of the box. Witch tells us it may have gotten wet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Reman or new TIPM costs in USA about 450-600 bucks (depending where).
Then there are lot of rebuilt ones.
To change it you do not need any special tools and when done properly you do not even need a scanner because it takes all the programming from PCM and WCM
It is just a few color coded and keyed connectors plus 1 screw terminal. Doable in the driveway in 20 minutes. Just need to follow proper power-on procedure

REMAN TIPM

another one

Funny thing is that the same costs 380 here in Europe and that is a stealership list price. This must be an unicorn or bug in the pricelist. Because normally it costs here 50% more than in US. have to order some and put it on stock. The same was once with a late hemi camshafts. Got 3 for 60 each until they noticed it :D

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Reman or new TIPM costs in USA about 450-600 bucks (depending where).
Then there are lot of rebuilt ones.
To change it you do not need any special tools and when done properly you do not even need a scanner because it takes all the programming from PCM and WCM
It is just a few color coded and keyed connectors plus 1 screw terminal. Doable in the driveway in 20 minutes. Just need to follow proper power-on procedure
Don’t think that is true unless they reman your specific TIPM. A new or replacement TIPM must be programmed by a factory level tool in order for it to work. The TIPM has information specific to the build of an individual Jeep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t think that is true unless they reman your specific TIPM. A new or replacement TIPM must be programmed by a factory level tool in order for it to work. The TIPM has information specific to the build of an individual Jeep.
So I can get a used/refurbished tipm, but I would have to have a dealership reprogram it, correct?
Also I just had my pcm replaced, and I havnt had it programmed yet due to the TIPM not supplying power. Will this be any sort of problem?

·
Registered
113 Posts
No. Done that multiple times. And beliieve me it works. At least in most cases. Works for all NEW and REMANNED TIPMs . Used ones are tricky, because you may get VIN mismatsch. But that is not for this topic. And i also have all OEM scan tools from DRB to Witech plus some more advanced tools that go far beyond the OEM level diag., so that would not be a problem for me to program it on a dealer level.

From almost 50 replaced TIPMs on various Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles i needed to restore the vehicle config maybe 2 times.
If the PCM CCN and WCM function correctly and if there is no other problem with the CAN bus communication - eg the vehicle works normally (except of faulty tipm) - after you replace and reconnect the TIPM and battery just close the hood and turn the ignition key to the “RUN” position while waiting at least twelve seconds. (count slowly to 12) The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the PCM on its own. After twelve seconds, turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle system operation.

Sure that if there is another problem or the vehicle security system (if equipped) is locked out from previous failed start attempts ao similar, then you need an OEM scanner to restore the vehicle config.

The other possibility s to rebuild your original TIPM. In most cases it is just only about the fauly micro relays inside. Mouser electronics stocks these but you need some microelectronic skills and
tools - at least good desoldering station or hot air desolder.

Also I just had my pcm replaced, and I havnt had it programmed yet due to the TIPM not supplying power. Will this be any sort of problem?
If you have a new PCM and NEW TIPM , then it is a dealer thing. To replace the PCM alone you need OEM scan tool because you need to program the VIN and WCM/SKIM functions. You also need SKIM pin code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. Done that multiple times. And beliieve me it works. At least in most cases. Works for all NEW and REMANNED TIPMs . Used ones are tricky, because you may get VIN mismatsch. But that is not for this topic. And i also have all OEM scan tools from DRB to Witech plus some more advanced tools that go far beyond the OEM level diag., so that would not be a problem for me to program it on a dealer level.

From almost 50 replaced TIPMs on various Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles i needed to restore the vehicle config maybe 2 times.
If the PCM CCN and WCM function correctly and if there is no other problem with the CAN bus communication - eg the vehicle works normally (except of faulty tipm) - after you replace and reconnect the TIPM and battery just close the hood and turn the ignition key to the “RUN” position while waiting at least twelve seconds. (count slowly to 12) The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the PCM on its own. After twelve seconds, turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle system operation.

Sure that if there is another problem or the vehicle security system (if equipped) is locked out from previous failed start attempts ao similar, then you need an OEM scanner to restore the vehicle config.

The other possibility s to rebuild your original TIPM. In most cases it is just only about the fauly micro relays inside. Mouser electronics stocks these but you need some microelectronic skills and
tools - at least good desoldering station or hot air desolder.

If you have a new PCM and NEW TIPM , then it is a dealer thing. To replace the PCM alone you need OEM scan tool because you need to program the VIN and WCM/SKIM functions. You also need SKIM pin code.
Very good information here, thank you
Last question, if I get a used TIPM and install it myself, will the jeep be able to run and drive properly for me to get it to the dealership ap they can program the pcm and TIPM? Or will I need to get it towed over there? Also if I know somone with more advanced scanning tools, would they be able to program it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very good information here, thank you
Last question, if I get a used TIPM and install it myself, will the jeep be able to run and drive properly for me to get it to the dealership ap they can program the pcm and TIPM? Or will I need to get it towed over there? Also if I know somone with more advanced scanning tools, would they be able to program it?
99% NO. If you replace the TIPM with NEW or REMANNED one (with clear VIN portion of memory) , it needs to read the vehicle config from PCM(powertrain control module) and CCN (instrument cluster) and also verify the VIN from WCN(wireless node/SKIM/Immobilizer) If any of these is not present on the CAN bus or has serious errors it will fail.
If you replace the TIPM with USED one (has some VIN stored inside from other vehicle) then in most cases you get the VIN mismatch error. Depending on situation it might (or might not) be driveable.

If you want to replace te PCM then that is a different story. You need to program the PCM to matchthe vehicles VIN and secret SKIM code. For that you need a capable scan tool and a PIN code from the WCM/SKIM module . Normally this is a dealer-only level. If you know someone who has access to the techconnect or techauthority site and has proper scan tool (witech2 with subscription) and can get a PIN code...then yes

Why do you want to replace your PCM? These do not fail so often. The NGC controller is quite reliable and fool proof. What is the exact reason?

If your old PCM works i´d just stick a new TIPM in with an old PCM and give it a try. If you are lucky it will run. Then i would visit the dealer just to check with OEM scan tool and do the restore vehicle config thing and/or software updates (if any needed). If it won´t run It can be towed do dealer later :D At least you could save some bucks with the DIY tipm replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
99% NO. If you replace the TIPM with NEW or REMANNED one (with clear VIN portion of memory) , it needs to read the vehicle config from PCM(powertrain control module) and CCN (instrument cluster) and also verify the VIN from WCN(wireless node/SKIM/Immobilizer) If any of these is not present on the CAN bus or has serious errors it will fail.
If you replace the TIPM with USED one (has some VIN stored inside from other vehicle) then in most cases you get the VIN mismatch error. Depending on situation it might (or might not) be driveable.

If you want to replace te PCM then that is a different story. You need to program the PCM to matchthe vehicles VIN and secret SKIM code. For that you need a capable scan tool and a PIN code from the WCM/SKIM module . Normally this is a dealer-only level. If you know someone who has access to the techconnect or techauthority site and has proper scan tool (witech2 with subscription) and can get a PIN code...then yes

Why do you want to replace your PCM? These do not fail so often. The NGC controller is quite reliable and fool proof. What is the exact reason?

If your old PCM works i´d just stick a new TIPM in with an old PCM and give it a try. If you are lucky it will run. Then i would visit the dealer just to check with OEM scan tool and do the restore vehicle config thing and/or software updates (if any needed). If it won´t run It can be towed do dealer later :D At least you could save some bucks with the DIY tipm replacement.
I have already replaced the pcm. It failed due to the previous owner opening it, and not sealing it well enough, water got into it and messed it up. I already have a new pcm installed but the deal said they were unable to program it due to lack of power at the pcm.afyer they looked at it they concluded the TIPM to also be failing. I took it back home and did more research and I do believe the tipm is failing.
I dont mind towing it to the dealer, I am just not a fan of the dealer. They wanted $1600 just to replace the TIPM, that didnt include the part itself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They wanted $1600 just to replace the TIPM, that didnt include the part itself.
That´s a RIP OFF! WTF? 1600 with labor and part and programming would be stiff but lets say a somewhat acceptable. I´d look for an another dealer

What is the exact fault of the old PCM ? Does it at least something? Communicates over the bus? Or is it just plain dead?
If it is alive and talks to other ecus, then i would just stick it back, throw a new TIPM in and let it read the config. At least you will see if its getting power
Then you can tow it to the service of your choice to reprogram the new pcm

To better understand the power on scheme of JK (or any other TIPM controlled J/C/D vehicle) - Part of the TIPM is a plain fuse box. The other part is a
computer controlled switch/relay/pwm box. So TIPM from itself does just nothing. To do something it needs to be commanded via CAN or LIN bus.
When you turn the key on, then on the ign. switch there is a switched 12volt which goes to WCM module and tipm. (F20) Then there is a resistor multiplex which tells the WCM in which position is the key. If WCM detects the right key (immobilizer) then it talks to PCM and other modules to verify the VIN if that all match and the key is in correct position and muxed output matches the F20 output and and and.... only then it tells the TIPM to switch appropriate circuits (ignition/run /start) on.
The same logic works for almost everything. Aka you turn the headlamps on = you command the cluster via LIN bus, cluster translates your request, sends it to TIPM, TIPM checks for faulty bulbs or shorted wires and if ok, then it turns the PWM circuit high = be it light :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That´s a RIP OFF! WTF? 1600 with labor and part and programming would be stiff but lets say a somewhat acceptable. I´d look for an another dealer

What is the exact fault of the old PCM ? Does it at least something? Communicates over the bus? Or is it just plain dead?
If it is alive and talks to other ecus, then i would just stick it back, throw a new TIPM in and let it read the config. At least you will see if its getting power
Then you can tow it to the service of your choice to reprogram the new pcm

To better understand the power on scheme of JK (or any other TIPM controlled J/C/D vehicle) - Part of the TIPM is a plain fuse box. The other part is a
computer controlled switch/relay/pwm box. So TIPM from itself does just nothing. To do something it needs to be commanded via CAN or LIN bus.
When you turn the key on, then on the ign. switch there is a switched 12volt which goes to WCM module and tipm. (F20) Then there is a resistor multiplex which tells the WCM in which position is the key. If WCM detects the right key (immobilizer) then it talks to PCM and other modules to verify the VIN if that all match and the key is in correct position and muxed output matches the F20 output and and and.... only then it tells the TIPM to switch appropriate circuits (ignition/run /start) on.
The same logic works for almost everything. Aka you turn the headlamps on = you command the cluster via LIN bus, cluster translates your request, sends it to TIPM, TIPM checks for faulty bulbs or shorted wires and if ok, then it turns the PWM circuit high = be it light :D
Ok I think I understand. I might be able to get it to work, but if not the dealer can program everything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts