Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly I have a 24 gallon gas tank in my JKU Sahara. Yet my gas monitoring system always tells me I'm ready to run out of gas at about 360 miles with only 15 miles left.. Yet when I fill up it only takes 19 gallons. Which is about right since I get 19.x miles to the gallon. So my question is where is the other 5 gallons?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is similar, 2 door so a smaller tank (70L) but my light comes on at about 50L used, fuel computer takes me to 60L at 0km left, so I tend to end up with 10L (2.6gal) left over. I blame the computer trying to keep me too safe.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I see a lot of different things happening with fuel levels. My build sheet says I have a 22.5 gallon tank. And lower on the list it says I have 5 additional gallons. So I don't know what this means exactly but that's what is says.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine has a 22.5 gallon tank and my understanding was the light comes on when there are only 2 gallons left yet mine typically only takes 17 gallons when I fill up and the light is on.

I guess it helps me to keep from running out of juice.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I see a lot of different things happening with fuel levels. My build sheet says I have a 22.5 gallon tank. And lower on the list it says I have 5 additional gallons. So I don't know what this means exactly but that's what is says.
The 5 gals. is listed because that's what the factory puts in each JK when it comes off the assembly line.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Supposedly I have a 24 gallon gas tank in my JKU Sahara. Yet my gas monitoring system always tells me I'm ready to run out of gas at about 360 miles with only 15 miles left.. Yet when I fill up it only takes 19 gallons. Which is about right since I get 19.x miles to the gallon. So my question is where is the other 5 gallons?
Where do you come across this "supposedly" information on your tank capacity? Everything I have read from the Jeep website, owners manual and build sheet says 22.5 gallons for a JKU.

Also, most fuel low level warning systems tend to be conservative and are not an imminent condition of running out of fuel when they first turn on. What you describe sounds about normal.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You'll never run it dry.
Remember the fuel pump is inside your has tank. You don't want to run it very low on gas.

☞Sent from here☜

·
Registered
535 Posts
22.5gal JKU is correct. When low fuel light(Amber color) comes on you will have approximately 40-50 miles until the Jeep stops running. Depends on driving conditions; ie. hills, speed, wheelin. Fill your Rotopax and test it out.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
According to Chrysler when the light goes on there's approx. 2-4 gals. of fuel in the tank. I guess that's as close as they can get to it being accurate.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've never put more than 19.5 gallons in, and I ran it with the gas light on for 40-50 miles, and the needle was as low as I've seen it. Guess it's good to know that I have a buffer!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Been wondering this myself. My 2014 JKU Sahara is listed as having an 85 L (22.45 gal) tank. I will drive until I get the gas light on, gas light usually turns on when the fuel indicator module tells me I have about 67 km (42 miles) left before tank runs dry. So I drive about another 50 km which according to the fuel indicator should be practically empty, then I get to the gas station and it will only let me pump in up to 74 L (19.5 gal) of gas, never more. If I try to force more gas in, my tank will overflow (happened once). Either the fuel reserve on this vehicle is considerable or the fuel tank is smaller than advertised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts