Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I have a question on the gearing of my differentials on my '12 JKU. The sticker says it is equipped with 3.21 gearing, but I also have the max tow package. Since i have the max tow package does that means it automatically comes with 3.73 gears even tho sticker says 3.21? I have heard contradicting info on this. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey guys...I have a question on the gearing of my differentials on my '12 JKU. The sticker says it is equipped with 3.21 gearing, but I also have the max tow package. Since i have the max tow package does that means it automatically comes with 3.73 gears even tho sticker says 3.21? I have heard contradicting info on this. Thanks in advance for the help.
I think the difference might be auto vs manual tranny for the gears you get with tow pak

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
the only way to know 100% is to jack up the rear end and spin it by hand.

or you could check your build sheet, never heard of them being wrong.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
pretty sure the max tow package comes with 3.73's while the tow package does not. Seems like it would say on your window sticker what is included with the max tow package.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
It should be on the options side if you got 3.73 or 4.10.
4.10's are only available in Rubicons, standard on manual trannies and optional on autos.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Crawl under your jeep. Take a mirror, look on the very top of the axle. There is a paper stuck there with your axle's build of material number. I've attached a pic of mine. Go to the spicer website, find the e-catalogue, and key the number in. It will give you the ratio, part numbers of gears, bearings, install kits etc. You can use the gear numbers in another location to find a different ratio set which will fit the same carrier. Kinda interesting if you like that stuff. The number to use in this case, shown in the mirror is 2011958-1

·
Registered
41 Posts
4.10's are only available in Rubicons, standard on manual trannies and optional on autos.

This is wrong information.

I picked up an 07 JKU Sport that has factory 4:10's per the build sheet from Jeep.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
This is wrong information.

I picked up an 07 JKU Sport that has factory 4:10's per the build sheet from Jeep.
waaaaaaay back in 07 this was possible. OP is talking about a 3.6

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
This is wrong information. I picked up an 07 JKU Sport that has factory 4:10's per the build sheet from Jeep.
Anything can be special ordered however, in 2007 anything whether X (sport) or Sahara with a tow package automatically had 4.10.
In 2008 to 2011 all Sahara's had 3.73 auto and manual.
X or Sport manual had 3.21 auto had 3.73.
2007-2011 Rubicon all standard with 4.10.

2012-present
Rubicon standard equipment 3.73 with 4.10 optional.
Sahara standard equipment 3.21 with 3.73 in tow package or optional
Sport standard equipment 3.21 with 3.73 optional.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
My son has an 07 Sahara 2dr with 4.10.
My 08 with tow package has 3.73.
My daughters 09 has 3.73 w/o tow package

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Yup, 07 was a transition year. There were also a number of early 07's that had D35 rears.
^^^Yep, the famous D35. Shock load it and the axles would possibly break off at the side gears. Very poor design...IMO
I had the D35 in my 2003 TJ, and I was always concerned when running off road, that just maybe...:atomic:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts