Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I got a little bit of an issue just got my new 2015 JKU RHR last Friday and it is higher than my sport was. It was already really awkward to get that hard top off with help from another person. Now I don't think I am tall enough to lift it. So I was looking at putting in a hard top hoist or make something myself. I don't need to store it hanging since I have a roller cart it sits on. I just need to be able to lift it off. I was looking at the Lange Hoist A Top and the Harken Hoister Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec

My problem is my garage ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet high. Any sugesstions? Anyone try the Harken?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Just use long ratchet straps and be done with it since your ceiling is low. Low cost, easy to use and install and very effective.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just use long ratchet straps and be done with it since your ceiling is low. Low cost, easy to use and install and very effective.
Ratchet straps? Yes I thought of that myself. Just wasn't sure if I should put eye bolts in like in four points and then just run one ratchet strap through one side of the hard top and two of the lots. Then do the same thing on the other side. Is that what you were thinking?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ratchet straps? Yes I thought of that myself. Just wasn't sure if I should put eye bolts in like in four points and then just run one ratchet strap through one side of the hard top and two of the lots. Then do the same thing on the other side. Is that what you were thinking?
Thinking nothing, I've already done it.

4 eye bolts, two straps. Easy as pie. Perfect for your situation where all you need it for is the lift and not the storage. My ceiling is a bit higher, but they make ratchet straps in all kinds of lengths, plenty long for your ceiling height to lower it all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking nothing, I've already done it.

4 eye bolts, two straps. Easy as pie. Perfect for your situation where all you need it for is the lift and not the storage. My ceiling is a bit higher, but they make ratchet straps in all kinds of lengths, plenty long for your ceiling height to lower it all the way to the floor.
Thanks! Will do makes sense!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I built my own. Way less of a hassle than assembling an aftermarket hoist... Plus it saved a lot of $$$

Just four eye bolts and two ratchet straps. Super simple and common design

Put it together in about a hour and only cost $20-$30

image-1072409777.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I built my own. Way less of a hassle than assembling an aftermarket hoist... Plus it saved a lot of $$$

Just four eye bolts and two ratchet straps. Super simple and common design

Put it together in about a hour and only cost $20-$30
Thanks I guess it really doesn't have that complicated. Will try the eye bolts with the ratchet straps first and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just built this in my garage yeaterday For my 2 door sport. I would think you would be able to modify it for a 4 door. Will try and post pics with the top on the hoist the next time I am able to remove it.
Interesting set up maybe something I look at if the eye bolts with the ratchet straps doesn't work. Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I built my own. Way less of a hassle than assembling an aftermarket hoist... Plus it saved a lot of $$$ Just four eye bolts and two ratchet straps. Super simple and common design Put it together in about a hour and only cost $20-$30
For my own curiosity, how do you get it down with the ratchet straps?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just built this in my garage yeaterday For my 2 door sport. I would think you would be able to modify it for a 4 door. Will try and post pics with the top on the hoist the next time I am able to remove it.
Interesting set up maybe something I look at if the eye bolts with the ratchet straps doesn't work. Thanks!
Tried the ratchet straps first and it was a royal PITA to get it back down. FWIW.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Shopping Cart

Easy day. Mount it sideways on the wall. Still cheaper than the harken. You can run your line through an eye bolt or eye bolt/pulley combo at the ceiling directly above the winch then through an eyebolt approximately center of the top. Connect the free end using ratchet straps or you can go whole hog and use 4 eye bolts at each corner of the hoist. Of course for every inch of making it easier on yourself you add dollars. I used the four corner method and rubber coated hooks. I would say in total the thing cost me less than $100 to build. To simplify things I used one line for the front corners and one for the back running into the same winch.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Search YouTube. I'll be the first to admit that the ratchet straps are a bit harder to lower at first, but once you learn them and how to do it, it works awesomely. Rock solid, no way to let the top slip and fall and I wouldn't have it any other way. It is a great way to lift and lower the top. I have it down to a science now with 1000% confidence and I'm getting fairly quick with it to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was going to go cheap and build my own. In the end I settled with a harken hoist. Super simple and I don't have to worry about it falling. I even made a frame to hold the soft top when the hard tops on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the ratchet strap and eye bolts last yr works great just lift it high enough to turn around and park under it no issues getting it back down

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to go cheap and build my own. In the end I settled with a harken hoist. Super simple and I don't have to worry about it falling. I even made a frame to hold the soft top when the hard tops on.
Do you have any pics of the frame to hold the soft top?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of you mention that you used the ratchet steps and eye bolts but with lifting and lowering it does it tilt font to back as you are pulling it up or lowering it? I know it would go side to side that is normal but worried about front and back.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm building one with rope and hand winch to make it an easy up and down. Just google keep hardtop hoist diy and there's a bunch of good inspiration. I can't imagine myself ratcheting 4 individual straps and it has to be a nightmare bringing it down (although it is most likely the cheapest and easiest option)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm building one with rope and hand winch to make it an easy up and down. Just google keep hardtop hoist diy and there's a bunch of good inspiration. I can't imagine myself ratcheting 4 individual straps and it has to be a nightmare bringing it down (although it is most likely the cheapest and easiest option)
Thanks will take a look the key restriction for me is the 7 1/2 foot ceiling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts