Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help on some issues regarding my installation of the hardtop harness for my 2012 JKU.

If you are familiar with installing the harness you know that several wires need to be added to the TIPM. Two of the wires identified as 32 and 27 have to be added to the plug and there is a diagram of the plug. The plug is symmetrical in how the pins are positioned so the location to insert the wires is not totally clear. The instructions state that the position 32 may be populated and it was, with similar colored wire as the one I needed to add.
The directions say to remove it and insert the new wire from the harness. I just taped off the wire I removed. After locating that wire I assumed that was the correct orientation for viewing the plug. I went on and spliced in wire 27 like the directions say.

I followed the same procedure for locating the pin in the second plug that needed a wire added to pin 31. It was also populated with a similar colored wire, I just removed the wire and taped it off.

On the inside of the jeep, I removed the instrument panel and added the wire to the plug on the back of the cluster. I don't know it's purpose, maybe an indicator light?

I went to the dealer and added the options to the VIN and they flashed the computer and there are several issues. The rear wiper does not work from the newly installed column selector. The Jeep tech said he was able to run it from his computer when he was plugged in. The rear washer does run, but only when the front washer is activated. It does not work when activating the rear washer switch. The front washer does not work with either switch. I'm not sure about the rear defrost, I put a call into the Jeep tech to see if he tested it. When I hit the button the light comes on, so that's a start.

Sorry for the long post, but I was hoping some one's been through this or maybe has a schematic showing what each wire in the harness does. Anyone have any thoughts on where to start trouble shooting?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I went ahead and rechecked all the wires I added to the plugs in the TIPM, they were all correct. I'm still not convinced that the wires I removed are just unused now. Can someone confirm? Also, does anyone know what's the purpose of the wire going to the back of the instrument cluster? Thanks

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Can't offer any install help. You might try getting a friend with a '12 or hitting a lot with one see if it is possible to compare the factory hardtop harness to your install.

I know of no where to get a '12 wiring diagram.

Bob K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply bronco. I figured it out last night after getting a wiring diagram from the dealer. It was the single wire feeding the back of the dash cluster. It was in the wrong plug. There are 3 plugs and the directions that came with the harness weren't very clear on which plug to modify.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the same boat. when you checked the wire in the back of the cluster was the pin filled with a wire of the same color when you found the issue. My jeep is still at the dealer but they told me the same thing. I figured after reading a couple threads that the wire behind the gauges is going to be my problem.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mine had a wire the same coloring in that position on the back of the cluster. Just remove that and replace with the one for the harness. The plug only had 2 wires in it (on mine) and the wire needs to be in cavity 18.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I added the harness and stalk everything works as planned, but I have every light on in the dash cluster, ABS, swaybar, traction control, and check engine light, don't have a idea, why all the light are on,

anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
I added the harness and stalk everything works as planned, but I have every light on in the dash cluster, ABS, swaybar, traction control, and check engine light, don't have a idea, why all the light are on,

anyone?

One or more of the connections on th TIPM are not seated properly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
One or more of the connections on th TIPM are not seated properly.
You sir are correct!!! could barely tell with the naked eye, was a 1/16 out of place, but I pushed on it and heard a audible "click" to myself said damn!!

thanks!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all. I just installed my hard top and wiring kit today. I'm having some similar issues and thought I might check here to see if anyone could help. I have a 2015 that I am working on.

I am pretty certain that I wired the TPIM correctly but also not sure about the connection behind the cluster. The wire int eh kit is violet and white. there are 2 connectors with 20 pins in the same orientation (one connector is black and one connector is brown).

Of the three total connectors the brown one has multiple wires going into it but there is no wire in position 18.

The black connector is the closest to the drivers window and only has one wire going into it (that one wire is violet and white and it is in position 18). so I removed this wire and replaced it with the one from the kit.

When I first tried to test everything I had the same problem as steve68 (bunch of indicator lights were on and even a message stating "Hotoil" on the cluster even though I have not started the jeep in days. I rechecked the TPIM connections and that corrected the indicator lights and the Hotoil message. (thank you to this forum for that problem solved)

Now currently all the indicator lights are off except that the check engine light is blinking and the Jeep will not start....... The starter does not even turn over..... and idea on what I have done wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Update - So don't laugh too hard but I figured I'd try to jump the jeep in case the battery was low. And it started..... So I think I now just need to get it flashed to the wiper will work correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts