Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, for the past month or so, the vents on the driver side have slowly been starting to lose heat, and have now started blowing cold air. The passenger side is fine. Nice and hot. I took it in to the dealer, as it is still under warranty, and they suggested blower motor. I don't agree with this, as the air that comes out of the vents is enough to blow my hat off. It's just cold on the one side.

I have heard a lot of people saying the heater core is a known issue, but would this cause loss of heat on just one side? I'm stumped, and so is the poor mechanic. It's a 2011 JKU sport. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is warranty. But they don't know how to fix the problem I suggested heater core, from what I have read on this forum about heat loss, so they ordered one in. But I also thought blend door, and the tech says JK's don't have a blend door. I just need some expert advice from you guys, that I can go show them to help with my problem. They'll fix it under warranty no problem. I just want it fixed properly.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
yes, the heater core issue will cause heat to be less on the driver's side. have them burp the fluid or flush it before trying anything else

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, went out and checked. Moves perfectly. I have also heard something about casting sand in the core. Some kind of TSB. I am going to see if I can find some info on this somewhere. I am going to print off this thread and take it in to the dealer tomorrow. So thanks for your input lee and Blastek.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No TSB's, but the more I read, the more I hear about casting sand from the block clogging the core. I hope a flush will help this. I don't want to have to put a new core in every year. This could be pretty costly and annoying for the dealer. A one time fix would be much more effective.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. All seem to point to casting sand clogging everything up. Looks like a flush and a new heater core . Thank you. I'll pass this along to the tech.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had this exact problem. Lots of fun when it his -25C...

It took me 3 trips to the dealer to get it fixed. First 2 trips they simply flushed the heater core and said it was good. It actually did improve breifly. The last time i had it in the replaced the heater core and I am now in the 'Holy Shit my Wrangler is like an oven' crowd.

I bought my Jeep used with under 15K on it and I think that it was probably traded in because of this issue. So I had it in 3 times but I don't know how many times it was in before i owned it.

One word of advice is to take it in on a really cold day. One where you can really feel the temperature difference. Then get the service guy to come out and feel it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, dropped the Yeti off at the dealership today. Today they seemed to know all about the problem. The service manager said there was a service bulletin out on the casting problem and everything. He had some kind of fitting that looked like the end of a fire hose that he says is supposed to take care of the problem with the new core.... fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 JK Sahara with 16K miles, in for trans cooler line recall "N28" (separate issue) and while it was in the shop I told them it was blowing cold air on drivers side. Dealer called back and said they needed to replace the heater core AND radiator and said it is covered under warranty. Thanks for your posts. I thought it was a design flaw but with everyone's posts determined it was sand in coolant system.

Still don't understand if there's one heater core why the other vents are blowing out like a hair dryer and just one vent blowing cold???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got it back today. Blowing hot as hell. Hope it lasts.
Did it last? Mine is back in for the same issue this week (10 months and 15000km after replacing the heater core and rad at 14000km).

Still don't understand if there's one heater core why the other vents are blowing out like a hair dryer and just one vent blowing cold???
My understanding is that when the core gets clogged, only one side of the core is getting heat, therefore the side of the vehicle that section of the core is designed to serve doesn't get heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cold air driver side...got it flushed and it worked, but six weeks later the core blew on the interstate and I had 2 inches of Prestone on my passenger floorboard. Got it fixed and today it went out again, just two weeks later. Sprayed thru the vents and I have stains all over my interior. Cause? Hole in new heater core. Trust me, the heater core is your problem here, not a vent, switch, blower, etc. When in doubt, get it replaced or you'll be sopping up antifreeze for weeks and try into get that greasy stuff out of your carpets and seats. And I'm on a road trip so I can't clean anything until I get home, whenever that is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.