Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Jose, I’m new to off-roading and the jeep life. I had a question in regards to a certain style locker. I’m going to regear my Jeep next month, already set up an appointment. Going for 4.88 gears on my 18’ JKU on 35’s. Would you guys recommend using a Spartan Locker on the rear end until I can save up to buy an E-locker. Thanks in advance!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
73,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Do it once cry once take it from me I regeared and put a locker in the rear and then two years later put a locker in the front because I couldn’t afford it but I really wish I did it but the same time.
The labor is the big part.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You will save yourself A LOT of money by waiting and doing it all at once.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buy once cry once. Best advice I know regarding Jeep parts. I'd go for an ARB air locker. Expensive, but at least you'll never look back and say, "I should have just paid the first time."

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Buy once cry once. Best advice I know regarding Jeep parts. I'd go for an ARB air locker. Expensive, but at least you'll never look back and say, "I should have just paid the first time."
Ahhh yes, the age-old e vs air debate.

Each system has their own set of pros/cons so I am not sure I would call one better than the other.
Plenty of people have looked back on arb's when they rip the copper tube on the inside of the diff, or after they have to deal with compressor freeze-ups in Winter, just as plenty have looked back on e locks when they burn up the electro magnet, or have to go an extra 1/2 revolution to engage them.

While air lockers are generally built tougher and usually lock up faster, they also have a lot more sideways stuff that can go wrong. They require air for example which is not only an added expense, but if ANYTHING goes wrong with the air system.... no lockers.

E-lockers are usually slower to activate and are (generally) not quite as tough, but they are a more compact system which doesn't rely on a lot of sideways equipment to operate, maintain and upkeep.

Long story short... they both have their pros/cons and therefore which system is "better" completely depends on the situation.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
And then there is the OX mechanical locker. You can activate it by direct cable shift, by electric, or by air depending on the activation kit you choose to go with it. If any one of those systems should fail, the fail safe drive away unit can be screwed in to activate the locker to get you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would wait but the Jeep really needs the regear.
What's your current gearing? I'm running 35s on a '15 JKU with 3.73 gears and while it's not optimal I find it works well enough.

That said, I'd wait and do it all at once. As others have said, the labour is the beast.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with an auto, 295-70-17's and 3.21 gearing. I have no plans to regear. I'll whack the shifter down a gear if it bogs. shrug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts