Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still planning for J-day sometime in the near future.

Wondering what gizmo has been developed to actually lock the hood away from wandering mischief?

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
That is fugly. Hang a padlock off of it and say goodbye to your paint.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Umm, perhaps I don't understand the question? What's wrong with the clips on either side of the hood? I haven't had any hood popping problems from wind, jarring, etc. There's heavy duty clips available, if really necessary.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Umm, perhaps I don't understand the question? What's wrong with the clips on either side of the hood? I haven't had any hood popping problems from wind, jarring, etc. There's heavy duty clips available, if really necessary.

He means to lock the hood down, like all them regular vehicles have

There are hood locks that prevent people from opening your hood and stealing your battery or doing whatever else they feel like messing with

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Regular vehicles? If I wanted one of those, I wouldn't have gotten a Wrangler! :D

Seriously though, keep in mind this is a vehicle that will likely spend significant amounts of time in parking lots without doors, with the top down, or in any event with windows that zip off (or are zipped off) if it's a soft top. Battery thieves are pretty low on my risk scale.

But hey, to each his own and someday I may end up eating my words. Make sure you call me out if I post about some SOB who stole my air filter.

If you don't get any good answers, there was a guy in this thread that was looking for the same thing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/subwoofer-security-69109.html). Maybe PM him to see if he found anything good.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's designed for a padlock, not the cute little split-ring they show, Hang a padlock off of it and watch what happens when you hit the road.

No its not.
That photo isnt accurate as it uses your ignition key to unlock it.
I have this hood lock and I can assure you it doesnt use a pad lock!

Where have you ever seen a hood lock that uses a pad lock???

·
Registered
840 Posts
Regular vehicles? If I wanted one of those, I wouldn't have gotten a Wrangler! :D

Seriously though, keep in mind this is a vehicle that will likely spend significant amounts of time in parking lots without doors, with the top down, or in any event with windows that zip off (or are zipped off) if it's a soft top. Battery thieves are pretty low on my risk scale.

But hey, to each his own and someday I may end up eating my words. Make sure you call me out if I post about some SOB who stole my air filter.

If you don't get any good answers, there was a guy in this thread that was looking for the same thing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/subwoofer-security-69109.html). Maybe PM him to see if he found anything good.
It all depends on where you live, yea?
While I have seen quite a few parked Jeeps here in NYC doorless and topless in the summer, most keep their tops and doors on at all times.
I have this hood lick but I have yet to install it!
No problems, yet...I hope it stays that way! :)

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
So... you're saying that the split-ring shown in the pic is hanging off the Jeep fob? Then that is pretty cool. I take back all negative statements from my previous posts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
So... you're saying that the split-ring shown in the pic is hanging off the Jeep fob? Then that is pretty cool. I take back all negative statements from my previous posts.
Yes, that's what I'm saying :)

Except that photo is just a key sans FOB....but, you get the idea!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
re: There are hood locks that prevent people from opening your hood and stealing your battery or doing whatever else they feel like messing with "

yes....I like to keep the under-hood area "private"

After looking at the installed lock it is way better than I had hoped for too.

Thanks for the link wranglerO

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
MTH said:

Most under hood prowlers are out to annoy. like the guys that got into my friends car and cut all the cables and hoses under the hood.

The kind of people that break into a house, cook four pounds of bacon, and spread the bacon grease all over their house and clothes. Yes that happened to someone I know lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased my long-arm rivet tool from Snap-On. For some reason, they were more difficult to find than I thought they would be. I believe Fastenal to have them as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
el mono said:
I purchased my long-arm rivet tool from Snap-On. For some reason, they were more difficult to find than I thought they would be. I believe Fastenal to have them as well. Good luck!
How big are the rivets? I have a rivet tool but my handle is not that long. I'm wondering if it is up to the task. It's the orange handled one from lowes. I believe arrow makes it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Home Depot and Lowe's won't do. They only pull up to 5mm head, and for that it says "steel rivet not recommended". Mopar lock definitely uses more than 5, either 6 or 7 mm. I tried that but had to return the tool to the store without using it.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I would think it would be easier to buy a locking hood latch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts