Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

JKU Oil Change - doesn't need to be this confusing!!!

6K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Cascade Wanderer 
#1 ·
4 months into my first ever Jeep....

Dealer tells me to watch for oil change light to know when to change oil...

then, checked the manual and it says the same, except 4000 mile oil change if used in harsh conditions....

after the first oil change, the MOPAR sticker that shows next oil change due mileage shows it 3000 miles later...

SO, WTH is the right frequency....

Facts I learned....most vehicles that go past 3000 miles on oil changes use blend or pure synthetic oils....simply put, the factory oil in wrangler is conventional oil and should be changed every 3000 miles unless switched to synthetic, then every 10K miles.

What I don't get is the contradiction between dealer telling me to watch for the light to come on to change oil, which comes on every 5-7K miles and the MOPAR sticker reading change it every 3000 miles.

Aren't they both Chrysler people/stickers? Are their two Chryslers...WTH!!

Why can't they get this straight and give one correct guidance???

My conclusion...switching to synthetic from now on!!! Better overall!

Thoughts??

See less See more
#3 ·
When it comes to oil and change intervals, the opinions are all over the board.
On this question that you just asked, you will receive so many different answers, that you will be even more confused!!!!!!!!
And then the oil wars start as we call them, and some get down right nasty.

I will give you my opinion, of which you can take it or leave it!!!!!!!
Pick a good synthetic oil that is approved by Chrysler/Jeep. Change your oil and filter every 5000 miles.
Also check your oil and coolant level weekly, or at gas fill ups.

If you follow these guidelines, then you will be good to go.......:thumb:

Now set back and watch as some will agree with this and others will say that it is a waist of oil. But that is the way that oil Threads work!!!!!!

Good Luck..........:popcorn:

#11 ·
I always agree with this. Under "normal" conditions, whatever that actually means, Chrysler indicates that you should change the oil with a 3.6 at the "maximum" every 10,000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. They don't indicate that you have to actually wait for that time or mileage. It's a maximum recommendation. I wouldn't leave synthetic oil in my engine for 10,000 let alone conventional. As far as the oil change light. It activates as a result of a computer algorithm which is "duty" based and takes into consideration a number of driving/operating factors. However, that is also a recommendation. It doesn't trump the maximum time or mileage requirement, or severe duty use. One of last times my oil change light activated was approx. a 2 yr. period. If I strictly went by that I would have exceeded all of Chrysler's max. recommendations. You're better off sticking to a regular mileage schedule, unless you have a severe duty situation. 5,000 is a good standard since you can also do a tire rotation during that service. It's up to you.

#8 ·
Good post!

Most dealerships (not the manufactures), want you to change the oil early, it's a money thing for them. Don't fall for it, just follow your owners manual.
This quote above is a great post! Probably if you use dino or synthetic, when the dealer puts the sticker on they'll do a 3K interval for their benefit ($$$)!! You can change your intervals that show up on your Jeeps EVIC yourself to whatever interval you want or at least shut it off to keep it from squawking. Again as quote above, Owners Manual will tell you how!!

My '07 JKU had 62K on it when I traded for a '12, regular oil and filter every 5K, ran like a clock and even at 5K oil still pretty clean. As stated above, watch the arguments begin!!!

OWNERS MANUAL!!!! :happyyes:

#5 ·
Yeah, its funny cz it ends up the same economically....regular oil around $20 if you buy them in packs of 4 and synthetic about $85....4 of regular oil changes equate to one of synthetic oil change frequency...not much of any dollars gained by the dealer....

The guidance should just be....if using conventional, use it every 3000 miles, synthetic 10K, etc. adjusting intervals stated for conditions significantly different than normal.

I think what I am finding is switch to synthetic that the dealership sells, follow its change interval and just ignore the light..unless other maintenance is due for which light is coming on.

Thanks

#7 ·
The guidance should just be....if using conventional, use it every 3000 miles, synthetic 10K, etc. adjusting intervals stated for conditions significantly different than normal.

I think what I am finding is switch to synthetic that the dealership sells, follow its change interval and just ignore the light..unless other maintenance is due for which light is coming on.

Thanks
No, you do NOT need to change your oil every 3000 miles just because it isn't synthetic oil.

And following the oil change light is probably better than following a recommendation; the light is based on the computer's reading of actual use (so engine running hours at the very least, also including how hard the engine was used based on throttle level, RPM, etc). A much more accurate reading of how the vehicle was actually used than just looking at how many miles have been driven.

#6 ·
You actually check your oil and coolant weekly or when you fill up?? I haven't seen anyone do that since about 1989....

#10 ·
I asked the dealer about the 3000K interval being too conservative and why not just follow the oil change light marker to change it...he said the oil looks really nasty when light comes off, may cause slush build up in the engine...

so save the engine and go more frequently

#13 ·
I asked the dealer about the 3000K interval being too conservative and why not just follow the oil change light marker to change it...he said the oil looks really nasty when light comes off, may cause slush build up in the engine... so save the engine and go more frequently
I disagree with your dealer! Unless you fall under the heavy use schedule, I guarantee your oil can go to at least 5,000 miles. Again, dealerships take more of your money suggesting earlier maintenance that the vehicle manufacture suggests. And that's where they make the bulk of their money from.

#14 ·
That's part of the problem, even different dealers are responding differently. Another dealer said do it every 4500 miles. I drive a lot of highway miles daily, but thats not abnormal conditions to increase oil change frequency, I thought.

Sounds like, 5000 miles is the consensus!!?

#15 ·
Oil is not what is used to be...

It used to be every 3000 or 3 months. Depending on your oil this may still be the case.

Now a days you have synthetic oil. This too may be 3000 or 3 months.

Here is where and why it gets confusing. Each oil has different detergents added to it. Depending on the oil used you may need to change it at 3000 or 10000. It is not a synthetic vs not synthetic, or new vs old oil. It is a detergent vs detergent rule.

Now, what makes it more confusing is that dealers & manufacturers are getting greedy. They know that their money is made after market in sales and repairs. As such, some manufacturers now say things like "you have to use X oil or void your warranty" ("I've seen this in the news with Ford, and heard reports about Subaru) to force you to use a manufacturer formula that can only be purchased by the car company, and sometimes only available if doing a dealership oil change. Their "logic" is that their cars are specifically tuned to their detergent mixture...blah blah. I've also found reports stating that even though these claims are made, there are federal regulations preventing it from actually being enforceable by the manufacturer on the warranty issue.

So, best thing to do is to read the label of the oil you are using. Each brand and each brand oil type will have how many miles that particular oil detergent is good for.

My personal rule of thumb is a price to mile ratio. Low price = low miles, high price = higher miles. But, I still always read the label.

#17 ·
The best advice I could give you is change it at an interval that makes YOU comfortable as long as it's not more then what jeep recommends.

#19 ·
That's exactly what I have been told, sludge is the risk driven by prolonged intervals. The question has just been what is that right interval. So, I think I've got to pick the answer that is least consequential.

Being near Chicago, synthetic makes sense. Changing it every 5000 miles if keeps things in top shape, then I will just do that. My trade off, a little quicker change in oil, so a little bit extra money up front as I go to prevent any engine slush later on. May just be worth it. Don't want to have any regrets later saying "I should have " etc.

Thanks

#20 ·
Absolutely!

It may cost a little more up front, but it's cheap assurance. It will be the difference between a 250000 mile+ engine and an engine that might last up to 130,000.

On the long run, it will pay for itself.

Definitely worth it.

#23 ·
I do mine every 5000km or 3 months regardless...usually the oil is pretty black by that point anyways.

#24 ·
I put 7k miles yearly on my Jeep. So I do my own oil and filter changes regardless of miles every 6 months always in June and December (easy to remember this way). :thumb::beerdrinking:

#26 ·
Exactly right, the tradeoff is well worth it. A tiny bit more in oil changes now will keep the engine slush away and keep it healthy avoiding a much larger expense in the future.

#27 ·
JKU Oil Change - doesn't need to be this confusing!!!

Thoughts??
It's not a bit confusing for us. I just remind my wife (it's her DD) to take it to the dealer every 3 months and have it changed. In our case, that comes out to around every 2,000 miles per oil and filter change.

It's 100% free, other than whatever fuel it costs to drive a couple hundred yards and back to the service department, off the main road. :D

#28 ·
I switched to full synthetic after my first oil change. I change and rotate all 5 tires every 5 thousand miles. No issues to date.

#30 ·
I agree with the 5,000 mile intervals to keep it simple. If I off road a lot I change it sooner. My BMW suggests every 15,000 miles but in order to keep the two turbos happy I do it every 4,000. I always do my own oil changes to make sure it's done correctly and saves me money. The jeep is one of the easiest vehicles to change oil in. Save your money and do it your self!!!

#32 ·
I had a Mercury Sable. I was told at oil change place that there is no pure dino, it is synthetic blend. It was a fleet car (other owner) until 120K miles. I changed every 5K miles because it was easy. 125K, 130K, ...

No need for a sticker to remind me. At 250K miles, they removed the front cover because a seal had gone out. The garage freaked out. They said they expected sludge. It looked like new. The trick is never let the oil get low and never let it get old. For me 5K is the magic number. For the Jeep, I am going full synthetic. And 5K.

#33 ·
Everybody has an opinion but there is nothing like facts. Thanks for sharing it and stating it. It confirms it and puts speculation to rest, that is the secret of a long life engine. 5k intervals is the sweet spot coupled with full synthetic, how can you go wrong?:thumb:

#34 ·
It's ridiculously easy to change the oil & filter on the JK.

That said, my local dealer offered lifetime oil & filter changes for $250 when I bought the Jeep... He told me that he knows I keep my rigs for 10 - 12 years, or more, and that I was unlikely to move out of town and that I'd absolutely get my money's worth... He's right. Every few thousand miles I pull in, say howdy, pour a cuppa coffee and let them change the oil. They also give the underside a good look-see. Time to time I like having eyes other than mine on the little Jeep.

So for $250 bucks I've got oil & filter changes for a long, long time and a lot of miles. I like that!

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.