Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the JKU on highway. How does it handle? How comfortable is it on longer road trips... 2-8 hours? Does it get blown around in the wind, or by semi trucks? I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Rubicon or a killer Arctic I saw today. Both have the same "Mudder" tires (I think that's what they are called).

Anyway, what are your thoughts JKU highway driving?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It's fine. I commute every day 35 minutes each way on the highway. I've driven a few 3 hour + road trips. I hate driving anything else.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I don't have much real freeway experience with the JKU. But, I'm confident that you'll find yourself maybe driving a little slower, but enjoying the drive WAY more than in any other vehicle.

8 hours in my Jeep sounds like heaven to me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the JKU on highway. How does it handle? How comfortable is it on longer road trips... 2-8 hours? Does it get blown around in the wind, or by semi trucks? I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Rubicon or a killer Arctic I saw today. Both have the same "Mudder" tires (I think that's what they are called).

I just vacationed to colorado from louisiana. 21 hour drive there and back. Totals for the entire 10 day trip were at 3500 miles. I found hwy driving (2012 jkur manual stock) very comfy. Only issues I had were the following:
- Headlights in extreme dark suck ass
- having the foot heater on for extended times overheats the infinity system
- mileage at 82mph gets pretty bad... aka 15mpg...
- needs lumbar support

Other than that...does great!!

Scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did 7 hours in mine today (2012 Sahara JKU). It is fine. I had a good amount of wind driving from WV to MI today with no issues. I have 2500 miles on mine now, almost all city, but the drive was good on the highway. I can't wait to take a longer trip.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i don't have a jku, just a 2012 six speed jk. however, i've taken it to upstate n.y. and back @ 400 miles each way and it rides better than my previous 2007 jeep and my TJ and my wife's jeep liberty. i ran about 65 mph and got @ 18.5-19 mpg with my 6 speed 4:10 rear. it could use a lumbar support as suggested by sceia but i ride further in it than most vehicles before i have a problem and need to stretch. room is great, comfort is good, nav and serious capability are cool.....oh yea, i also use it as my daily driver at about 110 miles a day round trip. by one....you won't regret it.

cass

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have not had mine long but just took a 5 hour trip for Xmas, it was very comfortable i thought, more than my wifes Mini and at least as good as my 2011 Nissan Titan (traded for the jeep)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had mine for 24m and many a long trip. No problems on the highway. Ride is great better than my old TJ. Enjoy your jeep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How does having the floor heater for long periods over heat the sound system?
The infinity amp is under the steering column... We were in 5 degree weather and freezing cold...lol. Had the heater turned up and on both vents (upper and footwells). After a few hours of driving, the sound quit on us. I needed fuel anyway so stopped and fueled up. Restarted a few minutes later and it was fine... *shrug* Ony thing I could think it was was the heater...

Scott.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tcass what size tire are you running? I got a 2012 2 Dr.with 6spd want to go to 4:10s with 33s and was wondering about mileage.

·
Registered
588 Posts
2012 JKUR auto 3.73 hard top...Colorado to Oklahoma cruise set mostly between 65-70. 450 miles each way. Very nice ride, solid feel, not much road noise at all. As posted by Sceia, needs more support in the seat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well i did a 32 hour drive. Longest stretch was about 16 hours, slept in the back on a air mattress. Had no issues with comfort at all. At times it did get pulled by semis but i am still not use to the jeep i only have had it for about a month. I have the return in a couple days.

·
Registered
345 Posts

About 19,000 miles on our JKU Rubi since early January of this year, we love it on long drives unless we have our skinny college freshman in the back with our boys, she hates it then for drives over 3 hours as it gets a little tight. We took it to Boston last March, went through NYC potholes that would have swallowed our minivan, still got shoved around a little by wind from the semi's. When new, the "mudder" tires were fairly quiet and still were at about 9,000 miles when I upgraded to 35s.

Pull that trigger man, they're a blast to drive and the 2012s are supposed to be peppier than the 2011s. I've been driving a minivan for the last month and after having my Jeep back for the last week, I told my wife that my testes finally descended again. Making her feel guilty so she'll let me trade her minivan in on another Jeep!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a few 4 hour highway trips on my 2012 JKUR. It's loud with the soft top at 70+ mph (shocker). Hard top is much quieter (obviously). Ride is nice. It does get blown around some; so what. Handling is ok; but it's a Jeep with 32s and solid axles. It's all about expectations and understanding what you are buying. Get the Rubi not the Arctic :nonono:. The Unlimited holds a lot of crap for the family. I wish I could have purchased the 2 door but it was JKU or no Jeep.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Surprisingly well mannered on the highway.
She's gonna dance if you hit bumps on a curve at those speeds, but it's the nature of the beast.

I keep it around 70-75 tops. Any higher and the wind noise picks up and I figure I'm just burning more gas trying to fight it driving a box.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The infinity amp is under the steering column... We were in 5 degree weather and freezing cold...lol. Had the heater turned up and on both vents (upper and footwells). After a few hours of driving, the sound quit on us. I needed fuel anyway so stopped and fueled up. Restarted a few minutes later and it was fine... *shrug* Ony thing I could think it was was the heater...

Scott.
Oh I got it now thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had my 2011 JKU since July and most of the 8000+ miles has been driven on the highway. It rides great and I don't think that the semis or wind have any more effect on it than any other vehicle I've driven. The only issue I've heard is that the back seat may be a little narrow for some people on long trips. But since I'm the one driving who cares about that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
4800 miles on my 2012 jku rubi and while straight line hwy driving is enjoyable definitely noticeable pull when next to semi and it will dance in a curve or when cornering to fast. >50mph. Took my tranny about 2k to learn my fairly aggressive on-road driving style but now my jeep really has a lot of get up and go. bumps and unlevel road are definitely and issue rear wheel hop but aside from not over inflating tires its a jeep thang. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts