Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know how I can use this source of power. And if anybody has used it 2 brew some coffee. If so what coffee maker was used?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I wanted to know how I can use this source of power. And if anybody has used it 2 brew some coffee. If so what coffee maker was used?
You may want to verify in the owners manual, but I think that the stock inverter is rated at 150-180 watts, this isnt much when it comes to electric heating appliances. As long as the coffee maker wattage doesn't exceed the inverter wattage you should be good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coffee on the road, fresh as can be...ahh, that would be a nice .moment.... how to make it happen

·
Registered
667 Posts
Honestly? I haven't used it for anything else than charging my phone. Never even thought about using it for anything else now that I think about it.

Brewing coffee though?... awesome idea and definitely doable. I have 2 coffee machines and now wondering which one I could use to test it out...

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Phone charger for me too, but I have an electric Coleman cooler I need to check to see if it will work without overloading.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were talking about one of those coolers recently...that'd be nice for the back area, keeping stuff cool or warm... but that outlet back there is DC

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm actually on this thread looking for inverter upgrade recommendations/ installation options. I can tell you from experience that the inverter on my 2013 JK will not run a Mr. Coffee. It turns on, but as soon as you hit the brew button, it kicks off. It needs a more powerful inverter. So far, on this forum, I haven't seen a favorite brand/model, but it looks like a 1500 watt inverter will brew a pot without trouble and maybe run some power tools too, sooooo that's what I'll probably get myself for Christmas. Ho ho ho!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, and I have one of those Coleman powered coolers that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Runs great in the JK. No problems at all. If you leave it plugged in overnight... you might need a jump start in the morning.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm actually on this thread looking for inverter upgrade recommendations/ installation options. I can tell you from experience that the inverter on my 2013 JK will not run a Mr. Coffee. It turns on, but as soon as you hit the brew button, it kicks off. It needs a more powerful inverter. So far, on this forum, I haven't seen a favorite brand/model, but it looks like a 1500 watt inverter will brew a pot without trouble and maybe run some power tools too, sooooo that's what I'll probably get myself for Christmas. Ho ho ho!
N-I-C-E !
I look forward to a product review from you...if you wouldnt mind.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1500 inverter... install that and Coffees ON !!. The current inverter installed is only 150 watts.. SO inadaquate. The Christmas Run is coming up and i need to see if a string of. L.E.D.s will even work

·
Registered
77 Posts
Christmas LEDs will have NO problem on that inverter. Like 10 watts or less for a 100 count string...which probably isn't fitting in any Jeep. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you not go down the Strip on Christmas Eve with the Jeeps? Fun times for everyone and those jeeps were blazin' with LEDs and Santas

·
Registered
188 Posts
Beta Test Your Electical Sockets Before Warranty Expires

MY rear "cigarette lighter" plug was NOT up to my cooler. Besides taking a risk of running your battery down when the engine's not running, with lowering voltage the amps increase to do the same refrigeration work to the point that the heat will melt enough plastic in the receptacle to break the receptacle. This happened to me while still under warranty and Jeep fixed it (once, I assumed). So, you're risking more than a dead battery by turning off your engine.

The solution is a capacitor or diode setup that will boost the voltage after the battery so that volts stay up and amps stay down at the receptacle. The increased amps would happen between the battery and the diodes, of course, so the risk of draining the battery is still the same.

My mini fridge is a French Faboss bought in the Czech Republic. It works better than any American-badged fridge I've tried as far as cooling goes. It worked so well it fried my receptacle. Maybe American coolers are, well, "cooler".

As far as 110v AC goes, 1500 watts should be pretty good for most things. If you think about it most home space heaters and hair dryers are only 1200 watts or so. Many home circuits are protected at 10 amps, x 120 v = 1200 watts for each of your small home outlets. I've noticed that many home appliances are limited to around 1200 watts.

Bear in mind that your stock OEM wiring or receptacle may not be up to it if you just beef up the inverter. You may need new wiring. I don't know what the engineering would be. My professional experience is in high voltage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stormeister, very informative !
There were some BLAZIN' jeeps at the Christmas run here on the Strip recently.
I was able to run 1 string of L.E.D.s on my " cell phone" inverter plug.
But was told "a second battery ....and you'd be surprised how much room under the hood , there is, to put one there.
I agree the wiring should be considered, since plastic melts.
I like the idea.:dance::dance::dance:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got it installed and working

So, I sprung for the Whistler Pro 1600 watt inverter on Amazon. I did some testing of the entire casing for this unit and found that the case is non-conductive. Great! So, I installed this directly under my hood, using cables that were overkill sized. When not in use, I rest it atop my battery (remember how I said the case is non-conductive). When I want to use it, I just pull it out a bit to access the plugs and plug in my pot. It's not like I'm going to brew a whole pot of coffee as I'm driving. In any case, I don't plan to have to power something THAT powerful while I'm driving down the road. Anyway, my installation is simple and gets the job done. When I place the unit back atop my battery, it's held in place snugly by the hood of the Jeep. There's just enough room for it to sit there. No rattling around. The nice thing about that installation, is there's no intrusion in the cab of my Jeep, or any of that other stuff you'd have to do for a big install. It brewed a pot of coffee easily. Actually, the digital readout showed that it uses a little less than 1200 watts when it's actively brewing. It also ran a drill. So, success! All this being said, I do know that the modified sine wave that it produces isn't good for appliances (picture a stepped wave instead of a smooth one). So, long-term, I wouldn't recommend running stuff on this regularly, but here and there, I think it'll be just fine.

I'll admit, I was originally going to install this unit upside down, just below my glove box. The hookup in this photograph was the test run of the unit. As I looked at it, I scratched my head and decided that the big install would likely be overkill for what I was planning on doing with it. Will I eventually install it in my interior? Perhaps. It has to have proper ventilation when it's running, so I have to pop the hood, as pictured to run it. Running a wire where it sits now, to the interior of my Jeep would be a big no no. Wish it could work that way though. It'd make things so simple. Oh, and if I plan on splashing around in some mud, I can wrap a little grocery bag around it, just to give it some splash/dust protection. Certainly, it's on higher ground than my glove box is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow +! You did it = a fresh brew of coffee ! Very good, thanks for sharing, how does it hook up to the battery?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts