Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to take off or put down rear seat head rests in a jku?

They fold back when you collapse the rear seats automatically but i cant figure out how to do it otherwise. Can you fold them back or take them off with the seats up?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Im asuming the headrest are the same as the 2drs .you have to pull the clip outward that sits on the top of seat and you can wiggle the head rest right out

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I switched out my seat covers one weekend and the rear headrests were definitely a PITA to get off at first. I just wish that I would have removed the hardware while I had everything apart. I hate those things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok so I can get the padded head rest part off but I still have the metal framing of the head rest. Does this part come out also? Feel stupid but I have been messing with them for an hour. Glad to hear i'm not the only one having some problems.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
You have to take the covers off to take off the headrest framing, but I can't remember exactly how it attached to the seat frame itself. I had my rear seats apart earlier this spring and I'm kicking myself for not removing those things when I had the chance.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You have to take the covers off to take off the headrest framing, but I can't remember exactly how it attached to the seat frame itself. I had my rear seats apart earlier this spring and I'm kicking myself for not removing those things when I had the chance.

They are a safety device. I would live with the hardware so you can put the head restraints back in if you carry passengers back there. At least that is what I do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So he headrest come out, but the framing is protruding from the seat right? i think that's more of a hazard than nothing being their at all

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, just remove the spring clip. Then when you go to fold the seat down partially (you don't have to fold it all the way) the mechanical lock slips out of the way to allow the headrest to flop back. Now when you lift the seat back up, just leave the headrests laid back until the back seats are fully upright. Because the spring was disconnected, they'll just lay there out of view of your rear view mirror. If you have a back seat rider you can just lift the head rest back up and re-engage its mechanical lock and it will stay until you pull the seat as if to fold it away again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts