Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about removing the 60 side of my 60/40 rear seat so I can have a little more flat surface area and reduce some weight. Anyone done this? Did you buy the pre-made bracket to support the 40 side seat or did you make your own?

Anyone got any pics if you have removed the 60 side and still retain the 40 side would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
This deserves some input.

I'd also like to know.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordered parts today to remove the 60 side of the rear seat. Will do a write up with pics. More to come.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What parts did you order? Are the parts so you can remove the seat or so you can have a flat platform? I'll be following this.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What parts did you order? Are the parts so you can remove the seat or so you can have a flat platform? I'll be following this.
I ordered the 3 seat bracket that allows you to remove the 60 side of the rear seat. The 40 side (seat behind driver) attaches to the 60 side via one shared point on the floor. This bracket allows for that removal as it gives the 40 side a place to bolt back to the floor.

The brackets are fairly hard to find as Synergy has discontinued it. Ryan found me one. States he has one more.

Synergy Wrangler Three Seat Bracket 5016 (07-16 Wrangler JK 4-Door) - Free Shipping

Yes, I will be fabricating a piece on that side as soon as I finish with a woodworking project and get my shop cleaned up from all of the dust. Bracket is easily enough made I just need to finish woodworking project.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I ordered the 3 seat bracket that allows you to remove the 60 side of the rear seat. The 40 side (seat behind driver) attaches to the 60 side via one shared point on the floor. This bracket allows for that removal as it gives the 40 side a place to bolt back to the floor.

The brackets are fairly hard to find as Synergy has discontinued it. Ryan found me one. States he has one more.

Synergy Wrangler Three Seat Bracket 5016 (07-16 Wrangler JK 4-Door) - Free Shipping

Yes, I will be fabricating a piece on that side as soon as I finish with a woodworking project and get my shop cleaned up from all of the dust. Bracket is easily enough made I just need to finish woodworking project.
Well he *HAD* one more. I don't know at this point that I'll use it, but better to have than to need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I removed the whole rear seat out of my 09 4 door. Great for the dog!!! Reused the seat belts though for the freedom panels put them in the bag buckle them in. No noise no swing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well he *HAD* one more. I don't know at this point that I'll use it, but better to have than to need.
Sounds like you are set to go if you decide. I'm going to perform the MOD today so pics will be coming. I'll then start the planning for storage for that area. Got a couple of ideas so we'll see.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, 60 side seat is removed and bracket installed. I then decided to make a tray to go in the spot left by the 60 seat. I started with an aluminum hitch mounted cargo tray that has the wide planks in it. I then took it apart by drilling all of the rivets out. I then cut the tray down to the size I wanted. I actually ordered another tray as I need two more of the planks to make it "solid". I will use the remains for another project. I tried the tray upside down to make it level with the floor but I believe I am going to leave it right side up so I can keep junk from jumping around. Now I need to make the mounting brackets. I'm going to make brackets so it will bolt to the factory seat mounting points. More pics as I make progress.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice work, I'm also part of the "buy a cheap trailer hitch cargo carrier and cut it up" club...

I like the idea of removing the 60 side of the seat, I may remove the entire seat for an upcoming trip this year and experiment with a sleeping platform...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Alright, 60 side seat is removed and bracket installed. I then decided to make a tray to go in the spot left by the 60 seat. I started with an aluminum hitch mounted cargo tray that has the wide planks in it. I then took it apart by drilling all of the rivets out. I then cut the tray down to the size I wanted. I actually ordered another tray as I need two more of the planks to make it "solid". I will use the remains for another project. I tried the tray upside down to make it level with the floor but I believe I am going to leave it right side up so I can keep junk from jumping around. Now I need to make the mounting brackets. I'm going to make brackets so it will bolt to the factory seat mounting points. More pics as I make progress.
What components did you use to make that rack? Looks like Aluminum Panels Riveted together with Corner Pieces. Looks A LOT like the new storage basket Teraflex just came out with except they used T Slot and sheet metal floor.

Any technical info you are willing to share is appreciated

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What components did you use to make that rack? Looks like Aluminum Panels Riveted together with Corner Pieces. Looks A LOT like the new storage basket Teraflex just came out with except they used T Slot and sheet metal floor.

Any technical info you are willing to share is appreciated
I ordered the tray from Amazon. It is a hitch mounted tray. I like it because it has wide planks in the bottom. I drilled the rivets and then cut the tray down to the size I wanted. I still have to make the mounting brackets. More to come.

I also made my own cargo tray for the back. Below is the build link.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/south-cackolacky-jku-cargo-tray-build-551921.html

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Got the tray assembled and made the mounting brackets. Got it mounted in the Jeep. Now to take it all back a part and paint everything.

More pics to come.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That Synergy seat bracket looks like it would be pretty easy to fabricate.

Nice job om the tray. I think the only thing I would do differently is drill some holes around the sides for bungee cord fastening points.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That Synergy seat bracket looks like it would be pretty easy to fabricate.

Nice job om the tray. I think the only thing I would do differently is drill some holes around the sides for bungee cord fastening points.
Thanks for the compliment. The way the tray is made it has groves on the underside that allow for bungee cords to attach. I thought about drilling holes but thought it looked cleaner as is. One could drill holes if they wanted too.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Very nice work. If you are bored, I can find some things for you to do

1 - 20 of 35 Posts