Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 4 door, I'm thinking about removing the rear seat for my traveling. When the seat is laid flat, it still raises up and little in the front, lots of gaps for things to fall through, plus it's jet black and hard to seen anything small.

What I was thinking was removing the rear sear, make a small removable platform. I can run the platform up as close as need to the back of the front seat. Put a 1" lip on both platforms so nothing will slide off. I would use a light gray carpet as the noise dampener and you would be able to see anything thats on it. Then repeat the process for a second tier and make it as high as my Tuffy top in the back. This second tier would have four feet that would connect to the lowest platform. Everything would be secure and removable when needed and the seat can go back in.

Has anyone made something like this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've done most of the work to make a permanent platform in the back. To remove the seats, I'd suggest you get a breaker bar to get some of the bolts loose. I got a cheap one from harbor freight and it did the job.

The floor is not flat underneath the carpet. You'll have two welded parts that slot in the rear trim. Along the wall, there is also a ragged raised portion that's welded. My solution was to raise the whole platform up on 2x8's that I'm bolting into the existing holes.

Goose-gear makes a kit that does the job. Pics of it look good, but it costs a small fortune.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm considering doing something similar, but welding up a frame that could drop in with doors on top for additional storage. Too many projects have priority right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took the 40% seat out of my 17. Love it, it will not go back in till I trade it.
Check out youtube on how to get it out. the bolts are easy to reach once you see a video. It is very easy to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts