Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a somewhat affordable solution for roof bars. I want it to sit back far enough to take off the freedom panels and would primarily only use it to put a Rocketbox on. So far what I have seen is very heavy duty and expensive. Any affordable/simple options out there that work for this use?

All of the Thule/Yakima style ones I see mount to the gutters, which would mean no freedom top removal.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I run the teraflex nebo rack. It isn't cheap, but it is less expensive than other alternatives that can support the same load. You can order just the rails and then buy as many slats as you need for your application. I just have 2 slats. This does require drilling through the hard top.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We have the tera flex nabob as well. We use it for our ski box as well as aRTT. We have the bestow sunder flapjack top as well and works great with this rack.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked at the Nebo, but for that price it almost seems like I am better off installing Thule or Yakima rails or the Rhino rails and bars. All seem under $500, not sure the Nebo gives me much more for the increased price.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run. Smittybilt Defender rack. No issue with the freedom panels or the sunrider for hardtop. I toss my 16’ canoe up there or some storage bins when camping. Works out for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am about to order the EAG roof rack basket.

No drilling, all mounts included, and you can order the 2 door version for the 4door so you can take off the freedom panels.

My mom got one for her JL and it is pretty nice.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the finish, so I will be getting a can of bed liner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am about to order the EAG roof rack basket.

No drilling, all mounts included, and you can order the 2 door version for the 4door so you can take off the freedom panels.

My mom got one for her JL and it is pretty nice.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the finish, so I will be getting a can of bed liner.
got a link to that?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thankfully found my Smittybilt Defender Roof rack on sale I wanna say 6-7 months ago, but still great bargain at full price.4.5x4.5 which connects to gutters and just behind freedom panels so you can put the freedom panels off/on whenever. And the same with the hard top. No drilling either

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,836 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: gjk5dave

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have looked at the Nebo, but for that price it almost seems like I am better off installing Thule or Yakima rails or the Rhino rails and bars. All seem under $500, not sure the Nebo gives me much more for the increased price.
The difference is purely in how much weigh it can support. Personally I wouldn't trust anything that mounts to the gutters or gutters and window hinges to carry much weigh on a regular basis. I would also be very concerned about the side profile of objects on top. In case a strong cross wind catches them or cross traffic with a semi.

I paid under $500 total for my 4 door nebo rack and two slats. (vendor discounts and sales)

But my use case may be different than yours. Mine was purchased with the intention of strapping a 150lb deer up there should I ever manage to bag one. (not easy here in California)

·
Registered
634 Posts
The difference is purely in how much weigh it can support. Personally I wouldn't trust anything that mounts to the gutters or gutters and window hinges to carry much weigh on a regular basis. I would also be very concerned about the side profile of objects on top. In case a strong cross wind catches them or cross traffic with a semi.

I paid under $500 total for my 4 door nebo rack and two slats. (vendor discounts and sales)

But my use case may be different than yours. Mine was purchased with the intention of strapping a 150lb deer up there should I ever manage to bag one. (not easy here in California)
Plus one on this analysis. I have the nebo and keep maxtrax and other stuff up there. Hands down it looks the most “stock” with maximum functionality. I wouldn’t trust anything to gutters or even the roof only given it’s material and connection method. While I can’t imagine actually Trying to lift a dead deer on top, I know it could take it. Very easy to remove top any time as well, which was important to me.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Plus one on this analysis. I have the nebo and keep maxtrax and other stuff up there. Hands down it looks the most “stock” with maximum functionality. I wouldn’t trust anything to gutters or even the roof only given it’s material and connection method. While I can’t imagine actually Trying to lift a dead deer on top, I know it could take it. Very easy to remove top any time as well, which was important to me.
Winch + 2 snatch blocks + 2 tree saver straps + 2 large trees one with thick branches. Or just a Pulley hoist you could hang from a tree and some rope if you are into that.
Could also be used for remounting your spare tire.

If I thought I could realistically install the nebo on the bestop hybrid top with the removable glass windows I would do it in a heart beat. I think that would be a killer setup. Leave the nebo and upper hybrid top installed all the time as a shade and be able to pull the doors and windows when weather allows.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,836 Posts
I have found it interesting the number of people who don't trust the "gutter" mount solution, but absolutely no one I am aware of, or have read about or has been produced by the thousands on this forum... have ever seen a gutter failure.

I've said it once, and Ill say it again. I now have over 40k miles on my rig with this rack. I live in BFE West Texas and it takes me 5 hours minimum to get anywhere of significance. I drive in 30ph winds every single time I travel. The wind does not stop blowing here.

I have had well more than 150lbs of kit on the rack and traveled with it like that for two months through NM, CO, WY, MT, ID and back home again. Trips to DFW, ALBQ, Santa Fe, Terlingua, Flagstaff, Knoxville Iowa... all loaded, and never an issue. I pulled the rack off to bed line the mounts as they were looking a little rough at the end of summer. Gutters are as clean, shiny and rigid as the day I put them on. To boot, I park outside year'round in Texas. Lows in single digits and highs in the 100's.

Reactions: gjk5dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the additional input folks.

I can get to about $725 for Nebo bases and two slats from what I can see....

bolt on tracs with feet and bars from Thule or Rhino puts me at $400ish....

That EAG solution seems OK except I would need to figure out a solution for the Rocketbox mounting. I am not too scared of gutter mounts, seen plenty of rails and boxes mounted on them up here and never seen one fail.

I think the Rhino tracks, feet and two slats is the best option so far, plus will allow me to go to zero extra clearance if necessary

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
All this talk of roof racks and I just ordered the EAG roof rack for 2 door to use on my 4 door. I have a rooftop bag that stores all I've needed so far. Only trouble with the bag is it straps through the doors and secures to the roll cage. In the rain it can let water seap in. So the rack will allow an exterior mounting point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts